MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 05-23-2002, 03:31 PM
primos

Bad Boy Revisited

You guys probably remember when I posted this camp knife a while back. It went to New York for some serious testing and for another upcoming article.

BEFORE

Well the knife arrived safely back home Tuesday. I cleaned it up, redid the hand-rubbed finish, and decided to try somethin I've been wanting to try for a while. I ground a long, sharp, chisel ground clip on the thing. It was already light and quick before that -- under 16 ounces -- which is pretty light for a 17" OAL knife. Now it's really quick. I thought I'd post it and see what you guys think.

AFTER

Personally, I like it. I think it looks wicked with the clip. I figure it could still serve as a camp knife. The specs are:

Blade Length: 11-1/4"
Clip Length: 8-3/4"
Overall Length: approximately 17"

Terry's Website

Old 05-23-2002, 03:41 PM
viper5192

I'd say, that clip really adds attitude and character to the knife. Would love to own THAT camp knife. I think the rework made it a much nicer looking knife! Good job Terry
Old 05-23-2002, 03:54 PM
JossDelage

I like it. I have experimented too (oh, so modestly...) with beveling the back, one way or another, and I found it's a great way to lighten the blade. What worries me is whether one looses a lot of stifness or overall solidity doing that.

JD
Old 05-23-2002, 03:58 PM
Don Cowles

Excellent, Terry. Takes it to a whole new dimension.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:52 PM
Cactusforge

A very good addition I like a knife with a swedge. Gib
Old 05-23-2002, 10:16 PM
ghostdog

a-yup

I read the post while the images were loading and I did not think I would like the addition. I was wrong. I really like the look. Would be interesting to handle the knife in both existences.

ghostdog
Old 05-24-2002, 06:24 AM
FlavaSan

Re: a-yup

Wow! It looks very cool with the long clip. Definitely better.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:34 AM
jeffj

Nice looking. Did the weight change any after the alteration? Looks light and quick.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:46 AM
primos

I don't have a way to weigh it, but the chisel-grind did lighten it up even more. I guess I'm through experimenting with now, and will probably put it up for sale. I'm thinking about taking it to Atlanta with me. I don't have a table, but maybe someone in the motel will want it.

Terry's Website

Old 05-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Raymond Richard

Terry,
I liked it before and I like it now. If it was my knife I would prefer it to be half the length of the blade. As always you did an excellent job doing it........Ray
Old 05-24-2002, 03:25 PM
Coop747

It was great before, but it is awesome now! Yup, it has 'attitude'! Enough to give Hossum a run for his money! Good work!

I'd be AWFUL surprised if you return with that from Atlanta. Let us know!

Coop
Old 05-24-2002, 10:19 PM
KWM

I like it very much both with and without the clip, but I prefer it with. That is a great looking knife.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:38 AM
Roger Gregory

I like both versions. The original has those clean Primos lines, very smooth indeed. The clip version loses the smoothness but adds something else.

I wouldn't say no to one of each

Roger
Old 06-19-2002, 04:53 PM

NEAT KNIFE

Looking at your knife, I thought to myself "what's it for". If it is a camp knife, I would like to know where the balance lies on it, and how heavy it is/was. I think the falseedge adds a very smooth look to the knife, and accentuates its length and style. It is a beautiful knife, but the change may have affected its ability to perform. Did it? Either way, it's a great knife, and I'd be proud of it.

Old 06-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Hey LamniaArtifex,
Welcome to the forums.

This is a thread off the old forums. It's nice to see it again. It's funny that this would get bumped to the top again today of all days. Here's why.

The fellow who bought this knife is living in Oklahoma. He was in town today (my town -- Shreveport, Louisiana), and dropped by. He was telling me he was really happy with the knife. He just ordered 4 more knives (different styles) before he left. I wish to heck we'd seen this thread before he left. He could have told you some of things he's been doing with it.

Apparently the loss of weight from grinding the long clip did not hamper the performance. Prior to grinding in the clip, the knife was just under 16 ounces. The balance point is a bit in front of the guard.

Click the banner above to visit my website

Tags
blade, knife, knives