MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 10-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Registered

SnakeCharmer

Hey Gentlemen,

Let me preface this post by saying that I have a great deal of respect for this forum and consider many of you friends. I do however take exception to the recent post made by ?Wulf?.

(Posted By Wulf)
Speaking of sensationalizing things...

A very popular maker, who has done quite well in the tactical knife market, recently unveiled a new model - a tactical bird and trout knife.

I suppose this knife was designed for close quarters man-to-fish combat applications.

But seriously, a "tactical" bird and trout knife?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The knife is the Mike Snody ?SnakeCharmer?
Wulf please feel free to use my name and URL in future posts.
The Tactical nomenclature was really an inside joke aimed at two groups of individuals. The first group are the ones who have nothing better to do than bitch about my knife names and designs on public forums, the second group are the ones who advertise everything they make as ?Tactical?.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Posted by Wulf)
The term "tactical" is a marketing ploy, and it works. There is no shortage of people who are more than willing to pay a premium to own a product that allows them to indulge their warrior fantasies and play make believe with their fancy new tactical knife when no one is looking.

The SnakeCharmer is available at www.tripleaughtdesign.com
The word ?Tactical? is used nowhere in the description of the knife. Over 50 orders were taken the in the first two hours.
(Posted by Wulf)
But the question for makers is, do you want to be a knifemaker or a marketer? Do you want to make what you want to make, or simply that which will make you the most money?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Good question Wulf. I make what I want to make.
The SnakeCharmer is a prime example of that.

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Posted By Wulf)
There are countless arguments for and against either path you choose. Most makers lie somewhere in the middle. The most successful ones, however, don't follow trends, they set their own.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another great observation Wulf. How many Tactical Bird and Trout knives have you seen?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Posted by Wulf)
As for the political aspect of how people choose to describe their knives, I feel that as long as a maker is honest about the designed applications of his product, he shouldn't worry about the perceptions of others. It is only when a maker is dishonest that he creates problems. A maker who misleads his customers or tries to sell his knife based on anything but its own merits - that maker is dishonest. Such behavior is innappropriate, unethical, and unfair both to customers and other knifemakers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really do not know what to think of this Wulf.
I sincerely hope you are not implying that I have misled anyone regarding the ?SnakeCharmer?. Just in case you are let me try to simplify things for you.

The Mike Snody ?SnakeCharmer? is a bird and trout knife based on a pattern that is well over 100 years old. It retails for $100. It in my opinion is the ultimate companion for the hunter, hiker, fisherman or Law Abiding Citizen looking for a small highly effective self-defense tool. Constructed of Bg42, heat treated, cryoed and tempered to an RC hardness of 61 points it offers unsurpassed cutting performance in a small, extremely lightweight package. In addition to handling all of your utility and game cleaning needs it could also come in really handy if when you are lying face down on the asphalt in the Walmart parking lot with an enraged crackhead kicking your ribs in.

If I were after Hype I would have called it a ?Kerambit? Wulf.
Not a Bird and Trout knife.

My knifemaking philosophy is quite simple Wulf.
I make high performance cutting tools and stand behind them 100 percent. They are carried by hunters, fisherman, LEO, Secret Service and hundreds of proactive, hardworking taxpaying Americans who refuse to bury their heads in the sand and pretend that we live in a safe world.

How you use my knives is entirely up to you.
If after purchasing one you are not satisfied send it back.

I have worked very hard to get where I am today.
If you have a problem with my work or the names I choose why not pay me a visit at my next knife show and express it to me like a man. Instead of making these inaccurate BS posts.
Better yet why not buy one and find out what all the? buzz? is really about?

Regards,
Mike Snody
www.snodyknives.com

Specializing in Tactical Bird and Trout Knives.

Last edited by Mike Snody; 10-27-2002 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Living Legend

Thumbs up Great stuff.

Thanks Les and Mike.

Les, Always interesting to hear from someone who obviously does the "marketing" side of things, but who is also clearly passionate and knowledgable about knives.

Mike, I started the thread saying more or less that I was trying hard to get away from the whole "tactical" labelling (but in fact couldn't). I am also unabashedly a fan of your work, ever since the first time I saw an article on you in Tactical Knives, last year. (See, I buy the mags as well.) I don't copy, but your knives are my "mental picture" I pull out when I'm looking for inspiration when making a knife. Other makers in that category include Terry Primos, Joe Flournoy, Fisk, Steve Corkum, etc...

You clearly have a firm foot on the ground about the uncertain times we live in. But as you've pointed out, as did Les Robertson, your Bird and Trout (how do you extract quotes, by the way ?) knife will also do well in many, many other roles, including self-defense. As Les said, a fighting knife is what you have in your hand when the fight starts.

In the category of whatever I have in my hand includes keys, phone book, mop or the kitchen sink.

Like I said, I appreciate your comments, and its good to see people stand behind what they do, for all their different reasons.

Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 10-27-2002, 05:39 PM

Re: SnakeCharmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Snody
The Tactical nomenclature was really an inside joke aimed at two groups of individuals. The first group are the ones who have nothing better to do than bitch about my knife names and designs on public forums, the second group are the ones who advertise everything they make as ?Tactical?.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have a problem with my work or the names I choose why not pay me a visit at my next knife show and express it to me like a man. Instead of making these inaccurate BS posts.
Regards, Mike Snody
Mike, welcome to our world. You're no stranger to forums and the misconceptions that words can make.

With credit to Keith (Nosamk) here's the knife in question. I looked all over the triple aught site with no luck finding this...

I love the knife and the name is very clever and appropriate! By your OWN admission this is a knife named/described in jest. But... this is the first time this has been made clear. Everything you say about yourself and this fine knife is true. As is your ironclad service backing it up.

The way I see it, Wulf was NOT directing credibility thoughts at you, but at all makers in general. You just took it that way. Your knife was just first on his table of contents of what and how the term 'tactical' is being used in marketing.

Was it misleading to offer this as a 'bird and trout' knife?? Moreso than calling it tactical... (Les is right. It don't much matter)

This is a discussion forum with the thread originating on how the term 'tactical' has implications on our knives. I didn't find his OR your comments to be BS, but good additions to the discussion.

Methinks it's, once again, a case of misperception. We can disagree in honesty and be able to do it 'like a man'. At least here in the CKD.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 10-27-2002, 08:19 PM
Living Legend

Thumbs up Well said, Coop

Isn't the classification in the eyes of the beholder anyhow ? I had someone look at what I thought would make a fantastic buffalo skinnner and said, "Cool butter knife." What the ...

Another customer was after one of my small 3.5inch Fighters / Boot knife, but said, "Pity, that would make a nice compact hunter. So I took his deposit, went home and carefully ground the top guard flush with the top margins of the handle and voila, ... small game 3.5inch hunter.

Minor things make a huge difference in the look and therefore the attitude.

By the way, Mike, that IS a very nice bird and trout knife. I haven't seen that one before... Time to visit your website again, I think.

Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 10-27-2002, 11:31 PM

Guys,

This is why I wrote about "Tactical" as a category.

Wulf, it is smart for a maker to name or "brand" their knives. It makes it easier to sell or trade the knife in the aftermakert.

If Bob Loveless had called his drop point hunter the "Elk Skinner". Every knife that looked like that would have some kind of Elk related animal in it's name.

Point being, Mike called it the "Snake Charmer" . Seems kind of big to be a traditional "bird and trout".

Mike is of course correct. If he was going after sensationalizm, the knife would have been called the "Neck Kerambit". Or something with one of the new buzz words in tactical knives.

No doubt the factories will have it in 8 months. And here to for, everything with any kind of large hole at the end of the handle will be called a Kerambit.

Bird and trout will become a "mini-Kerambit.

On the marketing side of the house, we always look for a "Brand" name. As name recognition is can be a very important element in selling a knife.

I try and name every knife I am involved with. Case in point, Terry Primos and I recently named a standard model he makes the "El Camino". Six months from now this name will be in the minds of those who want one. Two years from now it will be a brand name immediately associated to Terry. This of course wil have long term benefit for both he and his customers/collectors.

Mike is part of the new generation of knife makers who understand that making a good knife for the money is not enough. You have to market both yourself and your knives.

You have to consistently strive to improve. Improve not just your knife making skills. Your sales skills, your marketing skills, your people skills and your business skills.

Most of us know makers who are both active and no longer active. Who made exceptional knives. Yet for some reason they are not well known outside their local area.

Guys, with 3-4,000 makers in the US and more showing up every day. Coupled with a new "Global Economy" fueled by the Internet. Can you really belive that all you need is to attend a few shows and run an ad in 1 or 2 different Knife Magazines.

If you are not thinking world wide exposure, you need to start.

Example, I sell 800% more knives to clients in Taiwan than I do in Georgia....and I live in Georgia!

Did you know that Taiwan has a new custom knife magazine? Thanks to my clients in Taiwan I was contacted by the publisher several months back.

I volunteered to write an article and send several photos to help the magazine. Of course the photo's were of knives made by the makers I represent. We have already disscussed makers and dealers working together in other threads. So we don't need to rehash that here.

I cannot over emphasize the importance of having a business and a marketing plan for knife makers. Most don't.

Remember people don't plan to fail....they just fail to plan.

I love that quote!

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 10-28-2002, 10:26 AM
Steel Addict

Mr. Snody,
Thanks for weighing in on the subject. Before I address your comments, however, let me make it clear that I did not single you out individually, but merely chose your knife (and your description of it) as an example of a trend we have surely all observed in the custom knife world today. If I read your words correctly you seem to agree with at least part of what I say.

Unfortunately, I strongly disagree with your approach.

You stated: "The Tactical nomenclature was really an inside joke"

I'd like to point out, Mr. Snody, that it's not an "inside joke" if it appears on your public, commercial website. Putting it out there the way you did makes it very much an outside joke.

I'd also like to point out that making an "inside joke," as such, is extremely disrespectful to those who purchase your products and support your career. Whatever you may wish to call your choice of marketing tactics, you have, by your own admission, been dishonest and misleading with your prospective clientelle.

As long as you're making fun of your customers, I wonder how seriously you take your work itself.

I'm sure the SnakeCharmer is a quality product, but I hope that this joke of yours was merely poor judgment on your part and not indicative of your level of professionalism or respect for those to whom you hope to peddle your wares.

Making fun of your clients also makes a joke of your products, your business, and your profession itself. It may very well cost you potential customers. More importantly, it can cause damage to the integrity of the custom knife industry at large, which will hurt every one of us involved.

I hope that you reconsider your approach.

Sincerely,
Derrick Wulf

Old 10-28-2002, 12:31 PM
Registered

Hey Wulf,

Thanks for your concern.
It?s very reassuring to know that you are watching after my interest. I will certainly sleep better tonight knowing that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Posted by Wulf)
Unfortunately, I strongly disagree with your approach.

You stated: "The Tactical nomenclature was really an inside joke"

I'd like to point out, Mr. Snody, that it's not an "inside joke" if it appears on your public, commercial website. Putting it out there the way you did makes it very much an outside joke.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I beg to differ Sir. You have no idea what the ?Inside Joke? is nor will you ever know. On the contrary a number of my customers and my primary dealers are fully aware of what the ?Inside Joke? is. If it makes you feel any better Wulf I promise to have my dealers personally tell each and every fine individual who purchases a ?SnakeCharmer? the ?Inside Joke?. In fact I think I will actually print the ?Inside Joke? on a small piece of water resistant paper and include the ?Inside Joke? with each ?SnakeCharmer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTICE
To all potential customers of the Mike Snody ?SnakeChamer?.
If your ?SnakeCharmer? does not come with the ?Inside Joke?
printed on a small piece of water resistant paper and the dealer forgot to tell you what the ?Inside Joke? was please contact me immediately. I will promptly forward you the ?Inside Joke?.

info@snodyknives.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Posted by Wulf)
I'd also like to point out that making an "inside joke," as such, is extremely disrespectful to those who purchase your products and support your career. Whatever you may wish to call your choice of marketing tactics, you have, by your own admission, been dishonest and misleading with your prospective clientelle.
Notice
To all prospective Clientele
If you are considering purchasing a Mike Snody ?SnakeCharmer? please contact www.tripelaughtdesign.com
Or www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com to find out what the inside joke is. If you are unable to reach them or they do not reply in a timely manner contact me immediately at
info@snodyknives.com

I will forward you the ?Inside Joke? without delay.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Posted by Wulf)
As long as you're making fun of your customers, I wonder how seriously you take your work itself.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notice
To all customers who think I am making fun of you.

I never meant to make fun of anyone all I wanted to do was build a Tactical Bird and Trout Knife.
I never meant to hurt anyone.
Please email me immediately. We can work through this together. It will take time for the wounds to heal but with Wulf?s help we can get through this crisis together.
If I need to move the ?SnakeCharmer? to a different category on my website I will gladly do so. Let me know what I can do to fix this.

info@snodyknives.com
(Posted by Wulf)
I'm sure the SnakeCharmer is a quality product, but I hope that this joke of yours was merely poor judgment on your part and not indicative of your level of professionalism or respect for those to whom you hope to peddle your wares.
Now Wulf I really cant tell you the joke but here is a little hint:
Are you familiar with the expression?
?Wolf in Sheeps Clothing? ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Posted by Wulf)
Making fun of your clients also makes a joke of your products, your business, and your profession itself. It may very well cost you potential customers. More importantly, it can cause damage to the integrity of the custom knife industry at large, which will hurt every one of us involved.

I hope that you reconsider your approach.
#### and to think it all started with a little innocent ?Tactical Bird and Trout Knife? and an inside joke, which by the way you will receive free of charge when you purchase the ?SnakeCharmer.

Thanks again Wulf, at lunch I am going to go down to the local Chinese Restaurant and ask them if the can somehow put the ?Inside Joke? in some of their fortune cookies. If it works out my dealers will send you a fortune cookie with your ?SnakeCharmer? and inside of it you will find ?The Inside Joke?.

Thanks again for your concern regarding the well-being and future of my business. Genuine unbiased concern such as yours is truly rare in today?s world.

Regards,
Mike Snody
www.snodyknives.com
Originator of the Tactical Bird and Trout Knife

Coop, Cutter, thanks for the comments.

Adios
Old 10-28-2002, 12:48 PM
Steel Addict

Mr. Snody,
Thanks again for indulging me with a response.

It seems quite clear that further participation in this discussion would be futile. Thus, I will not engage you any further on this matter.

You know where I stand.

Regards to all,
Derrick Wulf

Old 10-28-2002, 02:50 PM
Registered

Knives

Sounds good to me Mr. Wulf.

For the record I do not "Peddle Wares" or "Sell Product"

They are called knives. Plain and simple.

I make them one at a time with my hands.

They are called Knives.

Not "She" or "It" or " Merchandise" or "Puppies" or "Product" or "Wares".

Just Knives.

Catch you on the next one MR. Wulf.

Regards,
Mike Snody
www.snodyknives.com
Old 10-28-2002, 07:42 PM
Skilled

I wonder if its lonley standing out there all alone???

Steve
Double S Custom

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 10-28-2002, 08:28 PM
Skilled

Good grief, all this fuss over a name.

Old 10-28-2002, 08:56 PM
Steel Addict

Martyn,
With all due respect, this isn't about a name, it's about honesty. I'm sorry you're unable to recognize that.

aiiifish,
I'm not sure what you're referring to, or to whom your comment is directed. Could you clarify, please?

Old 10-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
Martyn,
With all due respect, this isn't about a name, it's about honesty. I'm sorry you're unable to recognize that.

Steady on old bean.

I dont think taking potshots at any ship crossing your bow is really necessary. My point, real honesty is a transient quality - very few (honest) people can claim ownership of it.

It's a disagreement, nothing more.

Peace.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:33 PM
Skilled

Not a problem sir.

Let me say first that I've not met Mike Snody or purchaced his knives before, but I do respect his work.

The comment was directed toward you.

It must be lonley being the only one here with your point of view. In my opinion as a maker your point of view is flawed. Marketing and making go hand in hand ,as Les gently tried to explain, for anyone that is anything but a part-time or hobby maker. You stated that Mr Snody naming his knife the SnakeCharmer and listing his knife in the tactical section on his website is dishonest and misleading. I disagree. Even if you disregard Les's explanation of the generaly accepted definition of "tactical" in the knife making and collecting community and have no knife experience, you should be able to see that this is not a fighting knife. {Unless its the knife you have when the fight happens.}

Example. They say Hyundais or Kias are used for racing. Post this in all their advertising. Would you buy one to race. Probably not. Could you race it. Yes. Does this make them dishonest, misleading, disrespectful, or making fun of their customers. I think not. Anyone with any passing knowledge of autos knows these cars are not designed for this.
The same goes for Mr Snodys knives and {sorry to let the cat out of the bag Mike} there in lies the "inside joke" you missed.

If you feel he is lying to you don't get on his year long plus waiting list. Thats the great thing about a free market, buy what you like leave the rest behind.

You Sir are intitled to your opinion.
I personaly like listening to new opinions and frequently learn something new, and change my opinion as a result.
I can appriciate the overuse of the word "tactical", and have commented on this before.

But I could not let pass you calling Mr Snody a liar because of the way he markets his knife.

Steve
Double S Custom

Practioner of B&T ryu

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Back to the suject

This thread riled me from the get go. I don't want my pesonal de-fence knife to have no sissie name cuz it might offend someone, somewhere. (although, "grannies pansy guilder" does sound rather manacing,doesn't it?) These are not times to lay down your arms, but time to pick them up. Fear is a very real emotion. It is not a bad thing in small doses. It is what keeps you alert and on your toes. Too much fear will paralize you. Personal protection items, (hows that for a PC term?) keep that fear down to a managable level. Nameing said items to instill paralizing fear in ones enemys has a long tradition.I want my knife to have a name that causes fear in my enemies and gives me a sense of confidence.
The Bowie knife today means large hunting knife. At one time thou it was short for:

" A big a$$ knife that will scare the hell out of anyone that is even thinking about attacking me or mine cuz if in they do I'll take it and lay waste to them just like Jim Bowie did to those guys who attacked him on that sandbar down Vadalia way."

The original bowie knife was nothing more, according to accounts, than a large butcher knife. Bowie, IMO,being a business man, capitalized on this, and thru shrewd design changes, (Davey Crockett said to look at it sent shivers over him),presentation knives to high profile people, marketed it and himself into an American icon.

If you don't want or need a knife like this, simple, don't buy or make one. Custom makers aren't trying to convert the masses. rather those in need of those knives seek them out.

If those who don't feel the need, hopefully,if the door is kicked in and the key to your gun safe is in your other pants,or your knife nut brother in law is off hunting, Grannie will be between you and the door with her tactical pansy guilder in her hand.

Sorry about the spellin' my spell checker is asleep. She gotta work in the morn.

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade