MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Skilled

New Folder Pouch (same style as before) and a Question

You guys are probably sick of seeing this style folder pouch from me but.....

My Question,
I think it would be difficult to do with fixed blades but have you ever made folder pouches on speculation or is it all custom work. The one I'm posting for example, the folders I make are all about the same size and 3 out of 4 that I tried fit this pouch, one was a little too loose. I know you'd be taking kind of a chance but hopefully I'll feel more comfortable about selling my leather work after a couple more sheaths and was thinking of a way to drum up a little business.

Thanks for any comments / help,
Dave

Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Living Legend

I don't get tired of seeing them.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Skilled

im with bob, i'll never get sick of seing them. your leather work is exactly the style i would like to be able to do. did you teach yourself or take a class or get a video?

i think in this style of pouch you could make them to fit a range of diferent knives, obviously some would be tight and others loose but i think they would still hold.

brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 01-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Guru

Dave, another beauty. To say your doing good is a bit of an understatement, especially considering your experience factor.Kudo's my friend.
To answer your question yes ,that style could be made up ahead of time and sold, but even you said one of yours was loose.There's the hitch, at a show its no big deal because customers can see if their folders fit.Through the mail will be another story.I have made some up before shows and sold them at the show but I only made a few. I like to put stuff like them on my table for display purposes also.I think fixed blades would be pretty much out of the question for if nothing more than sizes.Keep up the great work. Dave
Old 01-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Skilled

Thanks Bob!

Brett, When Bob Warner gave me a box of leather working tools he also included some craftaids? and 2 books, General Leathercraft by Raymond Cherry (Copyright 1955) and Basic Leathercraft by I think Tandy leather. I really like the General Leathercraft book! Basically I approached it the same way as knife making, with a lot of practice and a whole lot of patience. I would be Very happy to share whatever I know.

Dave, That's kind of what I thought, I'm unable to do shows so it would be all internet. I might make up a couple different sizes and at least give it a try.

Thank you!!
Dave
Old 01-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Skilled

thanks for the info dave.
if you were going to sell on the net you could say.
"fits XXX sized knife"
and guve an example of a reasinably common knife that you have tried.

one more question, the leather in this sheath did you buy it black with that finish or did you dye it?
brett

Old 01-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to John T Wylie Jr
I would never get tired of seeing these either. heck I may have to buy one from you soon !

Old 01-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Living Legend

What I gave Dave was a few "Bored" little tools and a couple of template stencils.

I had them for a long time but those tools played a trick on me, they did not let me know that they were capable of this level of work. When I had them they would just randomly stomp funny little shapes into leather, VERY randomly. No matter what I did they just screwed things up. Those tools did not like me. I would try to control them but they always twisted a little at the last minute or tilted on purpose so the design was not flat. The sewing needle just plain hated me and jabed me several times and surely would not go through two layers of leather, let alone SIX. That thing is just evil.

Dave was able to coax them into performing, something I could not do. They are stubborn little things and I am not sure how Dave did it but he should start a business "Training" those things for their owners.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Skilled

Dave. The work just keeps on improving. I like the shaping of the loop on this one.

I think the folder pouches might do well enough on the internet. You could describe them as "fits a 4 to 5 inch folder" or use a brand familiar to all such as "fits a Buck 110 or similar size knife". The folder pouches are probably the most likely to fit a wide range of similar knives, because the folded shape is so very similar on all of them. the folded length is really the greatest factor and if the knife sits pretty deep in the sheath , then a little loose won't be as big a factor.

I routinely keep a couple of three or four sizes of my basic folder pouch sheaths on hand for the random "sell it on the spot" opportunity. The same for the more common lengths and blade shapes on fixed blade sheaths. They also make handy "samples" to show when the need arises.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net

Last edited by sheathmaker; 01-02-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:30 AM

I think you may be right Dave, if you don't come up with something new pretty soon, we'll all think you're just a one-trick-pony. Maybe you could try making a saddle, or Aspen-style leather accented furniture. Or maybe a suspension bridge

Paul hit the exact comment I thought of reading your post -- there are a million or so Buck 110s out there (and all of the copies), not to mention the re-handled version which show up on ebay all the time. There's also an ebay "Sheaths" section which usually has 2 or 3 pages of sheaths for sale, ranging from cheap junk to original Morseth sheaths. Take a look at http://collectibles.search-desc.ebay...2QQsacatZ43221
I'd also agree with Dave that stocking generic fixed blade sheaths migh be diffficult. An alternative would be to find an agreeable knifemaker to "commission" your sheaths, maybe one of the high end or art knife makers.

In the meantime keep posting your wonderful pieces here -- I've got a new Background for my PC as of this morning

Mike

Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Skilled

Brett, actually it's dark, dark brown not black. The leather I used on this was from the less desirable part of the hide so it had some wrinkles and other small problems, it's still great leather though! When I know I'm going to dye I thoroughly clean the leather right after I cut it out and a light cleaning after it's all put together, I used isopropyl alcohol because I was out of acetone. After the final cleaning I rubbed in some neatsfoot oil, when the oil was still a little wet I applied the dye (Thanks Paul!). I let it dry real good, wiped the residue off and checked to make sure I was happy with the coverage. I have used a neatsfoot / wax mixture but on this one I applied 2 LIGHT coats of Super Shene for a final finish (I didn't buff it), I'd like to try Tan or Bag coat sometime.

Thanks Vegas!!

You know Bob, after receiving the tools from you I was considering reporting you to the SPCT. I mean no wonder they wouldn't perform for you, you had them shut up in a small, dark, smelly whiskey bag! I let them out, cleaned 'em up, fed 'em and they've behaved very well except that darned swivel knife!! No matter how well I treat that thing it still don't listen to me, I couldn't be the one making mistakes! so I think there's some deep seeded psychological issues going on with it (or it's possessed!!)

Paul, Since I haven't been able to work in the knife shop lately this leather has been a real life saver. If I can't finish the one I started I'll continue working with the leather until the first part of February when I finally find out about my health future and pretty much my future in general!

Mike, I've always been fascinated with suspension bridges but not able to make one right now because the leather I have is much too thin, I'll just have to continue making sheaths and pouches.
Didn't think about looking on EBay, thanks for the link. I'm not sure what I was thinking about but don't really want to start making cookie cutter pouches. I like the idea of making sheaths for knife makers but I don't think many established makers would want to work with a newbie like me, maybe I could try that later on after I get some experience.
I hope you're not making Marie shovel all that snow you guys been getting! I heard that someone from your neck of the woods is selling Colorado snow on EBay!!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Skilled

thanks for the info dave, i might have to give some of that i try next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kelly
I don't think many established makers would want to work with a newbie like me,
i think after you show them pictures of work like this they might and besides theres planty of not so established makers who would give you a shot. if i couldnt make one my self i would definately consider you, because you have a style thats like what i want to make.

brett

Old 01-03-2007, 04:51 AM

Dave,

Fantastic work brother!

You could avoid the 'cookie cutter' thing with different tooling and dye work. Subtle differences in shape and loop cut could also help.

I can think of a few ways (subject to testing of course) that a guy could make that same sheath and make it adjustable in order to accomodate a wider variety of sizes. When I read your original post, the image of one of those cell phone pouches with the elastic side panels popped into my head. Now, you wouldn't have to go that route exactly, but if your welt (is that the right word?) went half way up and way to add tension to the upper half was added... Perhaps a rare earth magnet would allow a looser fit (serving more knives) while loosing nothing in retention...

Just brainstorming.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 01-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Skilled

Thanks for your suggestions and help!!

I have a lot more practicing to do but I now have some ideas (Thank you) and making pouches on spec. sounds possible so I have something to work toward and look forward to!

Dave

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives