MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 11-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
New Art Knife Book

Those of you who have seen the book ?Art and Design In Custom Folding Knives?, by Dr. David Darom, know that it is a spectacular volume containing superb photos of the very best of the best.

His new book, focused on straight knives of the same caliber, will be released soon. I am pleased to post the following on David?s behalf:

?I have produced a superlative new book on FIXED-BLADE ART KNIVES that virtually outclasses any other knife book. For 18 months this book has been in its gestation period. On March 4th this compilation of the world?s best knife makers will be introduced at the New York ECCKS but will be available through the USA distributor in February 2005 for pre-orders. The breathtaking photography portrays over four hundred of the finest knives produced by this elite gathering of 50 of the world?s top makers, with the stories on making their knives shown in the book and about their makers themselves. Of these, 26 were chosen to be Featured Artists, their art presented on eight page sections. 275 pages in full color, printed on superb art paper, hard cover and laminated dust jacket.

Featured Artists (8 pages each):
Van Barnett; Charlie Bennica; Roger Bergh; Arpad Bojtos; David Broadwell; Dr. Fred Carter; Edmund Davidson; Jose de Braga; Jim Ence; Jerry Fisk; Larry Fuegen; Chantal Gilbert; Tim Hancock; Gil Hibben; D'Alton Holder; Paul M. Jarvis; John L. Jensen; S. R. Johnson; Dietmar Kressler; Francesco Pachi; Conny Persson; Pierre Reverdy; Scott Slobodian; Dwight L. Towell; Buster Warenski; Yoshindo Yoshihara.

The introduction will have several heavily illustrated sections:
- Preface
- Modern Custom Knifemaking (by Dennis Greenbaum)
- Lloyd Hale, A Pioneer of the Art Knife Movement (by Ed Wormser)
- San Francisco Knives (by Phil Lobred)
- The Collaboration Knives of Jim Kelso (by Dr. Larry Marton)
- Classic Themes in Modern Custom Art Knives (by Don Guild)
- The Elements of Blade Steel (by: Deryk Munroe)
- The making of an Integral knife (by: Ricardo Velarde)

Pre-ordering will begin in December at an introduction price of $65 (Regular price is $85) including shipping in the USA. Pre-orders will be shipped out in February 2005. The book will be officially introduced to the public at the New York ECCKS on March 2005.

The distributor in the USA is:

Saviolo Publisher
Mandeville, Louisiana 70470-2675, USA
Phone: (985) 792-0115 ? Fax: (985) 792-0199
ssj@saviolopublisher.com ? www.saviolopublisher.com

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Last edited by Don Cowles; 11-20-2004 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Living Legend

Thanks, Don, I really look forward to this. The folder book was GREAT.

If you would happen to remember, would it be possible to shoot this thread back to the top when the pre-order starts, for us whose memories aren't what we'd like? Thanks!
Old 11-20-2004, 06:23 PM

YES!

Like, Don, I have had an opportunity to work with Dr. Darom on this book. I have done over 25 images of knives from 5-6 makers, and most of which none of you have seen. I'll tell you they are some of the finest pieces I've ever done.

Don, that's the finished cover, I am surmising? Wonderful. Gil Hibben?

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 11-20-2004, 10:44 PM

Thank you for posting this Don. This book will be every bit as good as the first...in fact, from what I've seen so far I think it'll be even better!

Some of you may have noticed that David credits me with having written a piece for the introduction...and you may be thinking "what gives?!?" If you'll indulge me, I thought I'd take a moment to explain.

Dr. David Darom has not only been blessed with a brilliant mind and naturally gifted with considerable talent in many areas (a true "Renaissance Man"), but he is also as warm and giving a person as you'd ever want to meet. I consider it a great privilege to be able to call him my good friend.

David and I first met at the NY knife show in the Spring of '03. That was when he first introduced his wonderful book on art folders (I was standing in line to purchase one of the first copies). If you haven't seen the "folder book" yet, I'll warn you that your first glimpse through this 300 page, full color, "coffee table" book, can be somewhat overwhelming. And it's immediately evident that it was written and produced by someone who clearly loves the genre, and has a genuine desire to share with the rest of the world, the joy brought to him by these fine knives.

Shortly after that NY show, David and I met again through these forums and quickly became good friends...albeit "long distance" friends (David lives in Israel, where he heads up a department at the large and prestigious Hebrew University).

At the last Blade Show in Atlanta, David and I shared a hotel room (along with good friends Ron Nott and Robert Eggerling). David had "warned" me in advance that he had something he wished to discuss with me when we got together in Atlanta. When we sat down to talk, I couldn't have been more flattered and honored (and surprised) when we he asked if I would be willing to write the Introduction for the in-progress Fixed Blade book!

Of course I accepted, but almost immediately felt concerned about what I was going to choose as an appropriate topic. Not such an easy task,...I did not want to come across as pretending any great knifemaking expertise. Although I have become reasonably adept at certain areas of embellishment, that hardly qualifies me as "expert", and I still have a very, very long way to go when it comes to overall knifemaking. I'm by no means shy about sharing any knowledge and information I acquire as I continue on my knifemaking journey. But trying to pass myself off as "expert" is out of the question.

I thought long and hard about it and with David's blessing, I came up with a suitable subject,... Especially when combined with my 30 year background in marketing, it's a subject for which I feel I do have more than enough knowledge and personal experience;...
I decided to write about; The Internet and the extraordinary impact it has had on "Modern Custom Knifemaking."

David's first book, "Art and Design in Modern Custom Folding Knives", was a tremendous success. And that certainly promises to be true of the second book, with it's focus on fixed blades. (David has shared many of the finished spreads with me. It's hard to imagine how it's possible, but this book is even more breathtaking than the first!!!).

There is now a third book in the works, one with more of an emphasis on showing the reader what goes into the making of a fine custom knife. Entitled "100 Custom Knives in the Making" by Dr. David Darom and Dennis Greenbaum. (Yes, I am co-authoring this book with David and will also serve as primary point of contact for North American makers).

This book will be about the same size as the first two, but many more makers will be featured (100 makers in all). And unlike the previous two (which were mostly by invitation only), this one is open to anyone who can make a fine knife and take presentable photographs showing the various steps involved in making the knife. We've yet to make a formal announcement about the book and yet we've already signed about 1/3 of the participants (We've set the limit at 100 makers...hint, hint). While some very "heavy hitters" have already signed on (such as Owen Wood, Bertie Rietveld, Joe Szilaski, Stephen Olszewski, to name just a few), we want a good mix...So we'd also like to hear from those who have not yet had heavy exposure, but have the talent (a perfect example is Jason Cutter, who has already agreed to come aboard).

We also want a good representation of "non-makers"...Ex. We've already signed Bob Eggerling (damascus), Ron Nott (engraving), and Gaetan Beauchamp (who is taking two, 2-page spreads, one for a new knife, and one to show off his scrim work).

BTW- Coop has agreed to serve as photographic advisor for those who need advice for the "in-Progress" photos (Oh yeah, portraits and brief bio's of the makers are also required). The photo of the final product should be shot professionally, and although not mandated, Coop comes highly recommended!

Producing a book of this size, scope, and quality is an expensive, time-consuming undertaking, especially when it's a relatively short print run. To help cover those expenses, there is a fee for a two-page spread. For those interested, shoot me an e-mail* and I'll be glad to send more info.

*Look for me in "Members" under Osprey Guy

Thanks for patiently reading through all this. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 11-22-2004 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Steel Addict

Going to press

Hello everyone,

Thanks Don and Dennis!!!

I really missed posting on the Knife Forums for nearly one
year now - having been tremendously occupied with
creating my second book on Modern Custom Knives,
this time, as you can see, on Fixed-Blades.
Just imagine, dealing with about 70 different people from
all over the world and with the material they were sending in
(makers, photographers and collectors) for 7-8 hours each day,
after my full time job at the University.....

Now the book is ready for the printing house, here in Jerusalem
(Israel), and will be ready by the end of December.
Shipping pre-ordered books will begin late in February as the
whole edition will travel first to the USA, to the offices my worldwide
distributor in the USA. The official introduction to the public will be
at the NY ECCKS, in March 2005.

I'll be there and a $3500 givaway custom knife will be waiting for
one of you guys who will buy two or more copies of the book at
the show!!!!

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)
Old 11-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Steel Addict

Don,

Is there a distributor appointed for Europe? Otherwise I'll have to order it through internet in the States.

Marcel
Old 11-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Steel Addict

European Distributor

Hello Marcel,
The European Distributor is:

Paolo Saviolo, Publisher
Tipografia Edizioni Saviolo snc
Via Col di Lana, 12
13100 - Vercelli
Italia
+39-0161-391000 tel.
+39-0161-271256 fax
psaviolo@tin.it
www.tipografiaedizionisaviolo.com

You can pre-order starting today......

David Darom (ddd)
Old 11-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Steel Addict

Hello David,

Thank you for the information. I've just pre ordered my copy and I'm looking forward to it.

Marcel
Old 12-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Steel Addict

The Book Is P R I N T E D !!

Hello Everyone,

My new book: "Art and Design in Modern Custom FIXED-BLADE Knives"
is printed and will be officially introduction to the public at the NY ECCKS,
in March 2005.

A GRAND SURPRISE PRIZE awaits one of those who will buy 2 or more
copies of the new book AT the NY ECCKS, in March 2005!

This is a $3500 givaway Bob Loveless custom knife!!

The prize knife, made by Bob Loveless, was donated by my good friend
and world class custom-knife collector, Dr. Thad Kawakami-Wong
of Hawaii.

If you can't make it for New York ECCKS in March, the book can be preordered
at an introduction price of $65 (including shippin in the USA) instead of $85.
PRE-ORDERING HAS BEGUN!

In the USA contact:

Sandra Scalise Juneau
Saviolo Publishing House
Mandeville, Louisiana 70470-2675, USA
Phone: (985) 792-0115 ? Fax: (985) 792-0199
ssj@saviolopublisher.com

In Europe the Distributor is:

Paolo Saviolo, Publisher
Tipografia Edizioni Saviolo snc
Via Col di Lana, 12
13100 - Vercelli
Italia
+39-0161-391000 tel.
+39-0161-271256 fax
psaviolo@tin.it
www.tipografiaedizionisaviolo.com

Thanks and all the best,
David Darom (ddd)
Old 01-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Steel Addict

Printed!!

Hi everyone,

The book is printed, bound and packed for shipping to
the USA and Europe. Pre-orders will begin to ship sometime
in February..... Hope you all enjoy my second book on custom
knives as much as I enjoyed creating it.

A great year to all of you,
David Darom (ddd)

Last edited by ddd; 01-11-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:43 AM

Simply astounding! AGAIN!

Folks,

Time to put this thread back on the pedestal. I just rec'd my two copies from Dr. Darom. Like the original 'Custom Folding Knives" book, the layout, the visual clarity, the stories, the techniques, and the makers themselves are abundantly displayed.

I *underestimated* my contributions. I counted 83 images of 40 knives I had the priviledge of shooting. And fortunately, you can't tell which ones. I say fortunately, because, for me, to be included with Eric Eggely and Francisco Pachi and to have my images side-by-side with them is VERY fortunate indeed. In the end of the book is a nice credit given to the photographic contributors.

But that's not the important aspect. What IS important is the knives and makers. What IS important is the ability for this book to transend, once again, the climate of the custom knife world and to broaden the poularity to non-knife folks. The appeal is universal.

THANK YOU Dr. Darom!!!!!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-15-2005, 01:46 PM

Coop - that is exciting news, my friend! I'm thrilled for you!

David - I can't wait to get mine! Your first book was certainly a hit at my house. We leave it out in the sitting area of our living room and inevitably visitors pick it up and become absorbed in turning the pages. I have also personally referred to it on numerous occasions during the past year or so - for pleasure, for information and to study the images as a way of improving my own.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Hall of Famer

This is great news! I'm hoping to have a copy within a few weeks.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-16-2005, 02:37 AM

I received my advance copy of the new book and have been wanting to comment on it all day. Considering the fact that David and I are friends, that I was one of a number of contributors to the book, and that David and I are co-authoring the upcoming 3rd book in the series, I was concerned that anything I say might be construed as self-serving. But other than my writing the introduction to this new book, I have had no other involvement with it's production.

So with that in mind please believe me when I tell you that when the book arrived I was seeing it for the first time, and as I turned the pages I was for the most part, just another guy who loves knives...about to be treated to a real thrill ride.

I didn't think it possible, but I believe this book to be even better than the first. The photography is perhaps even more spectacular (thanks in no small part to our own Jim Cooper aka Coop). It's evident that David learned a thing or two from the first book...the overall presentations are even more special. There's more of a sense of being up close and personal with the knives, and their makers.

And what knives! I'm certain that there has never been a collection of this magnitude ever presented in one book...certainly never presented at this level of quality and close detail.

As I progressed through the book, it seemed like every other page I would stop and just sort of hold my breath...
From the moment I saw that first mind-numbing dagger by Van Barnett (entirely blued, detailed with exquisite gold inlay, and a six-sided handle made up of inlaid, black lip panels), I was totally hooked.

To even try and describe any more would not do the knives, or the book any justice. Suffice to say, it is a feast for anyone who loves fine knives, or fine art.

I am thrilled (and more than a little awed) to have played even a small part in this amazing, amazing, amazing book. The pages are certain to become every bit as worn as my copy of David's first book. And I have little doubt I will be spending many sleepless nights over the next few days, as I get to know every page...and every wondrous knife.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 01-16-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
I got my copy yesterday, too, and feel much as Coop does.

It is truly an honor to have my knives in the same volume as so many of the greats that I have admired for all these years. It is also very humbling. Unlike Coop, whose pictures speak for themselves, my work cannot hold a candle to the work of these masters. To have been included was, indeed, beyond my wildest dreams.

Thank you, David!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives