MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Steel Addict

First hollow grind, first double edge

As the title says, this is my first free-hand hollow grind, which I just happen to do on my first double edge blade. It's a bootknife that will be a going-away gift for one of my buddies at my Coast Guard unit. My recon sources told me he had a Kershaw Amphibian that got stolen from him many years ago, it was his favorite knife he ever owned, blah blah blah. So long story short, I modeled this one after the amphibian, just a little more of my style put in.

I'll be etching his rank/rate, name, and unit name on the blade.

Made with Elmax steel, hollow ground all four sides, and will be doing some black linen micarta on the handle with stainless pins. The larger holes will be carried through the scales as well - to kind of keep the amphibian theme going. I got it ready for heat treat today, and will be throwing it in my kiln on Sunday. I've gotta have this all packaged up with sheath, and presentation box by mid-June, so it has been bumped up on my priority blade list.

Gotta say: I found hollow grinding to be WAAYYY easier to control than flat grinding. I dont know why I didn't try it sooner. But now I'm wanting the 10" wheel for my grizzly.

Capnos Custom Knives Workbench Photos

Old 05-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Master

Are you sure that was your first free hand hollow grind? lol Man thats a nice blade! Good straight grinds man!!! Keep up the awsome work slacker!!!

Whats that elmax steel like to work with? I can't wait to get a good HT oven so I can start playing with higher end steel!!

Last edited by metal99; 05-03-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Steel Addict

The Elmax seems suprisingly soft in its annealed state. Seemed to produce very little belt wear, and the first time I leaned in to hog out metal, my blaze 60 grit just tore into it like butter. On the bandsaw, it cot fairly easy. It didn't heat up much on the heavier grits, but from 120 up, I could barely get two passes without dipping in the bucket.

Kind of makes me wonder. If this metal helps my keep belts and saw blades longer, the higher price might be a welcome offset.

I won't really be able to make my opinion on the steel until it is heat treated and tested. I, of course, will provide updates along this build.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Master

The norton blaze abrasives are really good man I use the blaze grinding disks at work and they last alot longer then the others I have tried. From what I have read that steel should be really good
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Steel Addict

Dang that is nice. I'm hoping this weekend I can spend some quality time with my new (to me) grinder.

Robb

Tags
blade, custom, custom knives, edge, grinding, guard, handle, heat treat, image, knife, pins, scales, sheath, steel