MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 03-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Registered

One for the digital-domain.

I got bored and felt like making myself a knife.

The lines are based on my Emerson folder. I copied the grip ergo's because they fit my hand quite well. However, I made it a fixed edge instead and chose to extend it about an inch and a half.

In retrospect, at certain angles, the exposed pommel looks cool, but I think it wouldn't feel quite awesome with extended use in the real world. So, if I decide to put in anymore time, I'll probably extend the grips the entire length of the tang. I'm also trying to figure out a way to brute-force the bevels on the blade to make it look more authentic. (having issues with geometry conditions)

edit:

Yeah, I'm definitely happier with these.

Last edited by MrOldLude; 03-25-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:16 AM

Not a bad looking blade. I agree with you about the pommel too. Quite an interesting use of CAD software. I've seen people do photoshop but never saw anyone use CAD to do it. Looks like solidworks maybe?

Tom
Old 03-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Registered

Indeed. SolidWorks. Right now, it's a simple sketch. Someone else had mentioned that it "reminds them of a steaknife." But anyway.

My thoughts are that if I ever find any free time to take up a hobby, this seems like something I wouldn't mind investing time into. Plus, I have a connection to a shop with a laser. So, by doing my sketches in CAD, it'd be rather simple to forward them the files and produce practically any number of blades as accurately and repeatably as desired.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:11 AM

Now look what you started there. I teach Solidworks here at a local community college. You just gave me an excellent idea. I don't know why I never thought about using it to design a knife. I guess I am coing to have to give it a try.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Master

Verry nice, I use any knife thats handy for a steak knife, so it could work for that.

I have a question for ya....... is solidworks worth the price? my last big hobby before knives was 3D design and modeling, when I was thinking of going pro, I had considered getting solidworks but couldn't justify the price.

Errrrr....Back closer to topic now,
After seeing this I'll probably dig out my software and have a go at it again.
I did this a couple years ago, I was testing textures at the time.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/9645300/

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:26 AM

Hey Gary might I suggest you find a local reseller and get your hands on a personnel edition of solidworks, they will also give a sit down tutorial to help you get started. Or check to see if one of your local community colleges has a course and purchase the student version for $99. However they both come with a time limit. The student is 24 months and I don't believe what the PE version is.

You might also check into Rhino3D it is alot cheaper, however it is a Nurb modeller, however you have a more artistic approach to designing in Rhino than Solidworks.

You can download a new beta of Rhino here
http://download.mcneel.com/beta/?p=25
Or a demo here
http://www.rhino3d.com/download.htm

Last edited by tazzer; 03-26-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh O Mason
That knife looks like it would be a pretty good no nonsense hunter, or EDC. Be neat to see the real knife. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Tigre
I have a question for ya....... is solidworks worth the price? my last big hobby before knives was 3D design and modeling, when I was thinking of going pro, I had considered getting solidworks but couldn't justify the price.http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/9645300/

Gary
I dig your deviantart knife. Is it worth it all depends on what you're going to be using for. In the case of someone looking to set out on their own private venture, generating genuine sketches and models, the pill can be a big one to swallow. Not too many ways around that.

However, in the case of an individual looking to either teach themselves to use a software package or simply use it for sketching blade outlines, there are ways to find copies for your personal evaluation. (but that's a question of ethics I'd be happy to discuss, off the board ) The interface is relatively intuitive, and it has tutorials built into it to get you started with the basics. A little highschool drafting background never hurts either.

To be honest, regarding 3D programs, it's a mid-range product. Great for most work a typical individual might take a stab at. Here at school, I also have access Autocad, and Autocad Inventor (plus several high-end modeling programs). Autocad Inventor is quite similar as far as functionality and interface is concerned. But to be honest, everything I've been doing here can also be done with plain Autocad. Though, with extra amounts of headache involved to get complex shapes to extrude upwards properly. But in the case of someone merely looking to use a sketch as a template to cut metal (or to generate tool paths for a laser), autocad would be just fine.

Another flexibility of either program is the ability to import digital pictures or scanned sketches and trace over them to recreate digital models. For example of something I threw together in a few minutes - this:

to this

Last edited by MrOldLude; 03-26-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:35 PM

Keep in mind that the going fine for pirated software is currently $35,000 plus you have to buy the seat of software that you pirated, or face jail time. I know of 3 companies that got caught this year in the small town that I currently live in.

Since you gave me a little bug I just modelled this up in 15 minutes in solidworks.

Ohh and currently 3D modelling packages have alot more use than one might consider, as a personnel stand point and being in the industry for years now, I would stay clear of any software packages that Autodesk puts out and stick with the main 3 (Mastercam, Solidworks, and Rhino) All three are worth the price they ask for and in the long run will save time, money, and a few strands of hair. Mastercam is perfect for toolpathing simple laser machines, waterjets, and other CNC machines, Solidworks is one of the best 3D modellers out on the market, and Rhino 3D is for those who want high detail in thier creations. Plus all three are a match made in heaven.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered

Very nice. What was your method for removing material for the bevels? On mine, I tried the chamfer tool, but I ran into geometry constraints. Much like the folder I posted, I want the bevel to follow the curve of the edge.

edit: or perhaps the file to see your process if you don't feel like the explanation.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Skilled

I've been using Rhinoceros, it's a great program with a forgiving learning curve. Last time I checked there was a free demo with limited saves available, and they have a nice student discount.
http://www.rhino3d.com/

I use it primarally for CG art but have also, as a knifemaker and knife designer, found it useful for 3d sketches of some of the more difficult to figure connections and contours involved in knife construction, and for basic design work.
http://rendervisions.com/modules/Gal...rdswrd2hi2.jpg
http://rendervisions.com/modules/Gal.../87/katar1.jpg
Old 03-28-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldLude
Very nice. What was your method for removing material for the bevels? On mine, I tried the chamfer tool, but I ran into geometry constraints. Much like the folder I posted, I want the bevel to follow the curve of the edge.

edit: or perhaps the file to see your process if you don't feel like the explanation.
I've had luck using a lofted cut or a swept cut with guide curves. SolidWorks doesn't like doing chamfers that eliminate faces. (Yes, I have way too much time on my hands)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gruesome twosome - 2.jpg (40.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg ringknife3a-2.jpg (40.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg flamburge-2.jpg (20.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg dream1b.jpg (19.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered

Fantastic tip. I definitely need to try that out.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Master

Thanks for the info guys, I've had the rhino trial before, its verry nice and I thought was worth the price,for what I was doing. I'll have to see about the personal copy of solidworks. I did tat knife of mine in pov-ray....with a little work in moray. I rather like the text based modeling, but it doesn't play verry nice in respect to file formats interchanging.

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.

Tags
art knife, blade, knife, knives