MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:34 PM

rust prevention?

Hi guys, I'm looking for advice on the best protective coating such as oil or wax to help prevent rust on high carbon steel knives. Also, anyone know of a supplier that I can get small samples to send off with my blades just to start my customers off right. Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Any oil can work but oil is somewhat messy (I suggest using any cooking oil on my kitchen knives). The most effective thing I've found is to simply etch the blade in ferric chloride or vinegar. That increases the effectiveness of any oil or wax by a fair margin and can reduce the 'splotchy' appearance that a user will get when he first applies oil to a blade ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Guru

What Ray said. Also you can use Birchwood Casey Super Blue or Brownell's Oxpho-Blue on their website.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1072.aspx

If you want to leave the steel in it's original state then I recommend using carnauba wax and then keep the knife oiled as well as the sheath, but etching is by far the best solution. There is also a product you can buy at most paint stores called Ospho or Jasco Metal Prep, it turns rust from iron oxide into iron phosphate or black iron. It makes a dull finish. I've used it on knives I purposely rusted with salt water brine. It is very long lasting and tough. Works on most any metal as a prep for paint as well. Be careful as it has phosphoric acid in it, use gloves.

I also think Flitz wax is only about $6 a tube if you wanted to give that a try and send to your customers.

Last edited by jimmontg; 04-26-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-26-2017, 06:05 PM

I clean everything with WD-40 (which is mostly fish oil). Wipe clean. Alcohol. Wipe dry. Then Old Masters paste wax (almost 100% carnauba).

Thanks to Steve Culver MS for the Old Masters tip.

Every surface, every time.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

I use rig gun grease. Put it on all my high carbon fixed blade knives between uses.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I use rig gun grease. Put it on all my high carbon fixed blade knives between uses.

I use ^that^ on knives I intend to store a while...like waiting for someone to buy them. Doesn't seem to get wicked off with leather so quickly, or wiped away with handling.

Otherwise, on the knives I personally use daily, I rarely use anything. With time, the steel will take on a patina which seems to offer some rust prevention. Of course, as mentioned, etching it or bluing it will accomplish the same thing immediately. As Ray mentioned, any kitchen knives can have a light protective coat of olive oil wiped on after use. The carbon steel knife I use in the kitchen just gets dried after rinsing, no oil, and I don't get rust.

Realistically, my experience with carbon steel is, if the knife is used regularly and dried off if it gets wet, it simply doesn't rust.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Guru

I use 2 things (most of my stuff is stainless) but I have worked with carbon here and there and more often recently. So I use barricade spray when I am working on the knife any time I put it down or over night I use that as its a quick spray and wipe. Then when the knife leaves my shop for a new home I put a coat of renaissance wax....the links below show what I use. The baracaid I have found doesn't last as long as the ren. wax that's why I use the renwax when it leaves my shop. I even put the ren. wax on my stainless blades just for good measure and most of the time even the handle get coated

Barricade-- http://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/bcps8.htm
REN. wax---- http://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/rw065.htm

Tags
acid, advice, art, blade, blades, carbon, clean, cold, etch, etching, iron, kitchen, kitchen knives, knife, knifemaking, knives, paint, sheath, small, steel, supplies, surface, tools, wax