MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Steel Addict

Satin on Satin Integral Hunter

Greetings All!
Here is my latest creation. I think this was my best forging job so far on a full exposed-tang integral knife. I decided to go with a satin finish overall on this one, and am happy with how it came out.

My first time working with Arizona desert ironwood! What wonderful wood this is! OAL is 10&3/8", and the blade is 5.25" of carbon steel recycled from an old crank for starting antique autmobile motors.

This one feels so great in the hand, and just has that feel of a knife you want to have by your side! This is knife #9 for me.

I hope you enjoy the images, the ironwood shot a bit dark, but is real nice and feels fantastic!

Don Carlos

Old 02-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Skilled

Don, I'm impressed as hell---but didn't you leave off a couple of zeros on the "number 9"
if not---i gotta long ways to go--------azmike
Old 02-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Master

That's pretty incredible, Don! It looks real professsional. I love the transition. Todd
Old 02-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Skilled

Very cool.
How did you form the sphere bit in the center?
Looks great though.

Bcarta Composites
Stabilized Woods
Old 02-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Skilled

Don that is outstanding, I love the way this knife flows. I wish I could handle it, i bet it feels amazing!!!!

www.turnerknives.com
Old 02-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Steel Addict

WOW! Very nice Don. I really like the flow of blade into handle, esp. the verticle shot of the back. Wonder what we will see at #20 if this is your quality at #9.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:45 PM

That's sweet Don!

How are you doing the stock reduction and finishing?

Old 02-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for all the positive comments and feedback! I really owe it to Tai for teaching me so well. Integrals were my focus when we met last year, as they are my ultimate favorite when it comes to beauty, flow, and strength in a knife. I plan to do some work in flat-bar as well, hopefully creating some integralsocket style knives.

As for the stock reduction and finish on this one.
I am using a bit of power in the form of hand held grinder to knock-off that initial hard-scale which tends to be a major dulling force on files. From there I work with files (draw-filing) the blade and the tang, cleaning-up the blade and tang transitions. I have to say that the tang is the most difficult part. Getting it and the transitions nice and flat, so the fitting of the wood scales goes smoothly takes much more time than the blade itself.

On this piece I decided to keep a satin finish. So the blade & Spine are draw-filed with a rough, then a smooth file. The blade I hit then with 150-grit sandpaper. I find using WD-40 works better than water in keeping the paper clean and moving the metal. The integral bolster area circumferences are cut by hand using a hacksaw just deep enough to make room for creating the 'ball-shape'.
I do use a variable-speed die-grinder with an inverted-cone-shaped stone to get the corners off, to begin the 'ball-shape', this gives me room to then get the file in there, and from there I use a file. The carved-bolster area is left file-finished using a small triangular file. I liked the look of the satin-satin finish for a using knife, and it worked well with the dark ironwood scales.

The balance is great on this one. I suppose I could have gone a bit thinner on the blade, but that is something I will have to work at on the next knives I do, as I like the ability to use the blade for a variety of tasks. The actual edge portion is thin, but the back of the blade is still slightly thick, but this does makes for a strong knife.

Thanks again

Don Carlos

P.S. Here is a shot after forging and normalization. I liked how it felt and looked at this stage, and enjoyed showing visitors to the shop how much of the work is done hot, forging-to-shape.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:16 AM

Sounds good Don!

I use a die grinder occasionally, mostly for knocking scale off. I've found that a little tungsten carbide cone burr works great for that and lasts a long time. One of those ? inch drum sanders with a course grit sleeve is helpful in grinding out pits. I also use an abrasive wheel type bench grinder to sweeten up the profiles just a bit. After that,... I just use files too.

That system works great on blades that are forged so closely to shape. All you really need to do is follow what you already have and clean it up... I wouldn?t think of taking a forging like that to a belt grinder.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Steel Addict

Beautiful knife Don Carlos, very nice work man!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Skilled

Very nice! Beautiful work.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:31 PM

Nice one man! If that is #9, I can't wait to see somewhere around 50 !!!

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives