MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Skilled

Hand stitch a little easier

I was visiting with Sandy on the phone a few minutes ago and we came up with this idea. We are surely not the first to think of this, but here goes. You've completed your project and ready to hand stitch. Run your groove line with the groover of your choice, then within that groove using an overstitch wheel or some other means of measuring, mark where you want your stitch holes. Then chuck up a nr. 26, 27, or28 saddle stitcher needle or an awl blade or just an old ice pick ground down to your choice of diameter in your trusty drill press. Have a glob of bees wax handy (parafin will do also). DO NOT TURN ON THE POWER! Lube the needle with the bees wax or parafin, line up the hole mark and pull the press down.. Repeat as needed. You should find perfectly spaced holes, even both front and back,and your sewing should go much faster, easier and neater. Be sure to use the bees wax every hole or two and it should go through up to 3/4" fairly easily. This will produce a hole without the possible ragged edge that a drill bit might cause. I always use this method using my heavy saddle stitcher with out thread to punch holes when I need to hand stitch. The principle is the same. Give it a try!
Old 06-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Steel Addict

I have been using this method for the six months i have been making sheaths. It works great. I first tried it with the drills press on and it worked ok, but soon found it made better holes without power.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Hall of Famer

I've tried both 1/16th" drills, and also the same drill with the shank end sharpened, in the drill press. Helped a little, but the bit still wanders coming out the back. I use power though. Do you think my problems will be solved if I leave it off??

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 06-23-2005, 10:06 PM

What's a drill press
I've been using an awl (actually a really old ice pick, flat ground and slightly larger than my needle), and a medium weight mallet. A little slower than drilling, but much cleaner holes, and I can hit the back groove line pretty consistently.

Mike

Old 06-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Skilled

Robert; I actually use my heavy saddle stitching machine without thread to pre punch my hand stitch holes. The drill press deal is the same principle. I would recommend this be done with no power for the best result. The main advantage here is that if you are working on a flat surface the hole should be very straight through the leather making the back side as nice as the front. I use the same needle that I would use in the machine. also don't forget the bees wax or parafin to make things go easier.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Progunner Send a message via MSN to Progunner
I am willing to try this one, but I am a little ignorant of where to get the 26,27 or 28 saddle stitch needles? Is that something I can get from Tandy or a similar online place? I have had very good luck with a running drill press and a regular needle. If I get some bits of leather hanging on the back side groove, I just run the groove through the groove real lightly and it ususally does the job.

Tags
blade, forge, knife