MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-10-2002, 11:11 AM
dan adams1953

wear those glasses

I was'nt working on a blade, but I just bounced a piece of a drill bit off my forehead.
Old 03-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Joe Walters

Wear those full faceshields with glasses under them! I once got a sliver of old dirty wrought iron in my forehead above my left eye. It was a piece of a bur that broke off while I was grinding. I developed a nice infection (even though I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and thought i got all of the metal out) that puffed up the entire left side of my face and made my eye swell shut.

I don't take safety for granted anymore.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:27 AM
Jon Christensen

Re: .

I'll third the motion, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. I've spent the last few days putting antibiotic eye drops in. I got a metal sliver in the cornea of one eye. After the Dr. pulled out the sliver he had to grind, yes GRIND out metal flakes that were still imbedded in my eye. Luckily he numbed my eye first.
I was wearing my safety glasses but should have been using my fullface. You can't be too safe!!!
Jon
Old 03-11-2002, 08:59 AM
bbgun69

You can?t emphasize this point enough, or hear enough ?AMEN TO THAT?.
Also if you get a comfortable pair you won?t be taking them off and forgetting to put them on when you need them (which is all the time in the shop), if you walk out of the shop and forget you have them on they are a good fit.
Also get the ones that wrap around your face and/or have good side shields.
Finally the cost should be your last concern - if you get a comfortable pair that thoroughly protect your eyes and you keep them clean an scratch free (keep them on your face or in a case) they will be cheaper than any cheap glasses.
Just remember - the cost of the glasses and trouble of wearing them vs. the cost of medical bills and most important how much $$$$$$$$$ do you value your ability to see.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:22 AM
dan adams1953

next free money = a face shield for me.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:59 AM
MJHKNIVES

One thing I have found, wearing a respirator makes finding safety glasses that fit a pain. The full face shield is out.
What I found to work well, for me at least, is welders goggles, the little round ones. You can take the shaded glass out and replace with clear, plus, they fit tight to the skin, all around the eyes.
Hope this helps, it works for me anyway.

Tags
blade, forge, knife