MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Steel Addict

Question 2 x 42 craftsman

Well the saving money for a 2 x 72 wasn't going fast enough. I will get there but i would like a KMG (or like it). That said i went and bought a 2 x 42 (on sale) craftsman and it's worth it just to have 2" instead of 1". It is fast so it forces me to go a little slower and dunk the blades in water more. My question is for you electrician types, can i wire a foot peddle or speed controller to this motor. or maybe get a different used motor.
Thanks
Clay
Old 03-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Master

That's a good question. I'm curious about the answer to this one because I would love to slow my little 1x42 down a bit.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Hall of Famer

No. That type of motor can't be slowed the way that something like a Foredom or Dremel can. Check out the "$500 dollar knife shop" youtube videos. Those guys found a way to slow down the Craftsman, but it basically means unplugging the unit, replacing the disc on the left side with a step pulley, and using a second motor to drive the belt sander.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Skilled

Could it be done? Yes.

And by the time it was done you would have spent enough to buy a 2x72

Is it practical? no

The amount of pressure you apply is the poor mans variable speed.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Skilled

Claymore, I rock a 2x42 craftsman and i cant wait to upgrade.. 3500 rpm is to fast for serious knife making. It'll work but just be real fast at the tip of the blade and dip often. I've been eyeballing the Pheer grinders because of the price and the reveiws. Id love a KMG but well money is tight round these parts.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Master

Those pheer grinders look pretty good for the money!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Steel Addict

NorCal Nate,
You are right on the money about the tip of the blade. I ground 1 blade (pre-heat treated) and it came on so fast i didn't even see it. I feel that from changing from 1 x 42 to 2 x42 i need to A) Pay closer attention B) i don't need as much pressure while grinding.
Thanks for responding and i'll maybe get a 2 x 72 in 6 months. I will find out tomorrow if the government is going to lay me off, Part of the sequestering. What a joke, like the gov. can manage that money. I hope nobody here has to deal with this, but i'll pray and whatever happens is God's will. Sorry for the long reply, but it help's to get it out.
Have a great week
Clay
Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Skilled

Also Claymore, if you have not done it yet get a ceramic platen. On mine I just cut a piece of ceramic tile 2'' wide and epoxied it into place right where the belt likes to ride. Hard to make decient plung lines when the platen it comes with is 1/2'' wider on both side than the belt.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Steel Addict

Right on NorCal, thank you. I will make it happen this weekend.
Clay
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If you're going to glue a ceramic platen over a steel platen you should also attache a small metal bar support below the bottom end of the ceramic. You can use screws or pins to attach the metal support. The reason for this is safety - glue cannot be depended on to hold against the pressure, heat, and flexing of the metal platen over time. Maybe it will, maybe it won't but, if it doesn't, you could find yourself standing over a glass grenade. Sheer luck saved my behind when my first ceramic platen slipped down and tried to wrap itself around the drive wheel. I had just turned away to get something off the table behind me when it went off, left a circle of 1/4" fragments imbedded in the walls and ceiling all the way around the small shop room I had at the time. Word to the wise ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Skilled

No problem at all. Also you may find that belts with a low grit like 36 will not fit due to the guard on the drive wheel.. cut that crap out so they will.. I actually have not done this on mine but am going to in the next few days. I bought 10 36grit belts from tru-grit and when i tried to put one on it wouldnt go..well I forced it on then manually rotated the belt till it would spin freely then turned the unit on.. And if you use heavy grit belts like 36 be careful...it eats material fast be it steel or flesh. ~Nate
Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
If you're going to glue a ceramic platen over a steel platen you should also attache a small metal bar support below the bottom end of the ceramic. You can use screws or pins to attach the metal support. The reason for this is safety - glue cannot be depended on to hold against the pressure, heat, and flexing of the metal platen over time. Maybe it will, maybe it won't but, if it doesn't, you could find yourself standing over a glass grenade. Sheer luck saved my behind when my first ceramic platen slipped down and tried to wrap itself around the drive wheel. I had just turned away to get something off the table behind me when it went off, left a circle of 1/4" fragments imbedded in the walls and ceiling all the way around the small shop room I had at the time. Word to the wise ...

I agree and hear what your saying Ray. That sounds scary as hell!
Thank you for the insight! ~Nate
Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Nate View Post
Also Claymore, if you have not done it yet get a ceramic platen. On mine I just cut a piece of ceramic tile 2'' wide and epoxied it into place right where the belt likes to ride. Hard to make decient plung lines when the platen it comes with is 1/2'' wider on both side than the belt.
I have this problem on my 4x36.... pain in my butt.... not sure how I'm gonna fix it other than buy another grinder. :/
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Master

Hondo you mean getting decent plunge lines?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Steel Addict

Yup

Tags
2x72, apply, arrow, art, bee, blade, blades, build, craftsman, easy, grinding, guard, knife, knife making, make, making, material, pins, steel, stone, tips, video, wrap