MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 04-15-2002, 03:12 PM
sherpa1d

Dear Jason Howell (Question about your tutorial)

You may or may not have seen my post on the bolt-action lock, but I'm new to the knife making seen.

I really injoyed your tutorial and it has given me a lot of insite to liner-lock knives, next is to buy a few books that ya'll have recommended to others.

My one question though, during the knife making processes you used a set in a few screws, ground them down flush, then disasimbled the knife. Now if you ground the screw down, was there enough hole left for your screw driver to get a bite on to drive them, I'm confused how you got then out??? I know it sounds funny but I am.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:54 PM
neil charity

I believe Jason means that he grinds the thread end down flush not the head of the screw. If you use a piece of titanium the same thickness as the liners, drill and tap ther correct hole for your screws, insert the screw and then grind the protruding piece sticking out the other side down flush.

Regards from Australia.

Old 04-16-2002, 06:23 AM
sherpa1d

Thanks, I didn't realize which side he was grinding down, I guess that would defeat the the purpose of counter-sinking.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:49 PM
Jason G Howell

Neil's right, I was grinding the thread ends of the screws. On the flathead screws that hold the liners and spacebar together, I countersink with an 82 degree countersink. I want to apologize for not answering sooner. I've been working and unable to get any time on the computer.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:14 AM
sherpa1d

Thanks guys, I don't know how I got confussed about that, but I've been back through it 2 or 3 more times and get more excited about working on one (once I find a place for a new shop)

No problem about the time Jason, I know we all have to earn a living, mine just happen to be computers so I can spend more time on the forums than most can.

Thanks again

Tags
knife, knife making, knives