MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up Guess what I'm doing!!

I finished a CAD design for a two blade trapper today. I got the shape as close as I could to a photograph.

I cut out all the pieces except the bolsters this afternoon. Tomorrow I should have the blades ready to start trial fitting.

I've made several single blade slipjoints but never a multiple blade slipjoint.

I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

If anybody wants it sight unseen I'll sell it to the first one who offers at least $10,000.00

For years I've concentrated mostly on linerlocks and framelocks. I need to do something different at least once before I get bogged down again making what other people want.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Steel Addict

I'll offer you 10,000.00 for it. It's just an offer right? Since I am am the first one to offer it's mine. You didn't say anything about actually coming up with the money right?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Skilled

he's right don, you didnt say he had to pay, congrats doc your gonna get a pretty nice knife. he he he
dont forget to show us plenty of pics don, im sure it will come out just as nice as all your knives, maybe this time next year we can have a group challenge on a trapper.
brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 01-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Wowzie!!!

I need to watch what I type, don't I?

Well, Doc, whatcha gonna do if the prototype turns out to be scrap?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Hall of Famer

I'm saved!

I just read Doc's offer again. He forgot to put a dollar sign in front of the 10,000.00.

So the offer is hereby rejected. And whoever offers the $10,000.00 does have to pay. Me. In USD. Within 10 days. In cash, all one dollar bills. Delivered in person. (I'll buy him a beer and a meal..)

Old 01-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Steel Addict

Don, Scrap is okay I can still look at it and learn. I purposely left out the "$" because I would then be liable for that amount. 10,000 could be anything.

By the way I received the book my way and the printed copies of the designs. Thanks. I have a question regarding the pivot system. Do the liners compress the bushing and the blade itself rides freely or does the pivot adjust the tension on the blade? I wonder because of adjustability factor. I was thinking about using the precision pivot bushings that are for sale on knifekits.

By the way I am ordering some materials now. Would it be best to order 3/32 material for blade thickness or should I just machine down 1/8 stock? since 1/8 would be used for the back spacer/blade stop?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood
Don, Scrap is okay I can still look at it and learn. I purposely left out the "$" because I would then be liable for that amount. 10,000 could be anything.

By the way I received the book my way and the printed copies of the designs. Thanks. I have a question regarding the pivot system. Do the liners compress the bushing and the blade itself rides freely or does the pivot adjust the tension on the blade? I wonder because of adjustability factor. I was thinking about using the precision pivot bushings that are for sale on knifekits.

By the way I am ordering some materials now. Would it be best to order 3/32 material for blade thickness or should I just machine down 1/8 stock? since 1/8 would be used for the back spacer/blade stop?
Doc, remind me which design you're referring to.

If it's a linerlock, then yes, the liners compress the bushing. The blade and washers are free to turn on the O.D. of the bushing. If this is done correctly there is no adjustment necessary. Just tighten all the screws.

It's difficult to machine or grind 1/32" off 1/8" steel. I suggest you order both sizes.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Steel Addict

Okay thanks Don.

I just ordered some Titanium and will have to order some more supplies.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Doc, have you started your "My Way" knife?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Steel Addict

Don, I have just received some steel yesterday and I am hoping after all my honey do's are done I can play in the shop. I think I amy be able to cut out a few blades this weekend. It's gonna be tough. I have to go teach martial arts for a few hours and then take care of stuff around the house and tomorrow I am going pheasant hunting before the Superbowl. Somewhere in there I am going to find some time to cut out a few blades.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives