MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Guru

My Sword

Some of you may remember, at the beginning of the year, I was working on a sword for a movie company. Well, the movie is out in some places, and I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

My site with photos and descriptions is here:
http://groups.msn.com/tidewaterforge...anproject.msnw

You can check theatre listings here:
http://www.bookofmormonmovie.com/theaters/index.html
(warning - the link for north carolina is wrong - it takes you to arizona. change az.com to nc.com at the end of the url for the right page)

I'm not trying to get anyone to change their religion, but if you wanna see a hand-forged & hand-finished (yes, that's a manual file-finish on the whole dang thing) neo-tribal sword on the big screen, this is your chance. I understand they messed with my handle somewhat - so just pay attention to the blade.

I hear the beheading scene is pretty powerful. :cool:

Hammer on!
Old 10-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Master

Ummm, "wow" comes to mind Chris. What an undertaking! I like the way you documented all aspects of the making of it...not just a pretty picture once it was finished. Very nice work all the way through.

Chris
Old 10-14-2003, 09:43 PM

Chris, what role does the sword play in the movie? Obviously it isn't just one of many props, but has importance to the story. What's the significance, and in what scenes can one expect to see it?

Old 10-15-2003, 12:01 AM

Hey Chris, that's pretty dang neat! Thanks for documenting your project for us to see. They should have given you a cameo role at least (I guess the part of Capt. Moroni or Ammon would have been asking a bit much)

-Ben
Old 10-15-2003, 09:06 AM
Guru

Thanks, Chris.

Dana, the sword belongs to a fellow named Laban, a rich man in Jerusalem circa 600BC. Nephi and his family are fleeing the city, on advise from on high that the end of the city was near (true, it got sacked shortly thereafter). In the day, geneological records, holy scripture and such were kept on permanant material - scribed into metal plates, in this case, brass. There were few copies. Laban had the one that pertained to Nephi's family, and Nephi and his brothers tried on several occasions to obtain these plates, including the offering of the family money, which I understand was quite substantial. Laban said no. As Nephi crept into the compound for one last attempt, he comes across the man Laban in a drunken stupor, and in a moment of revelation, is commanded to smite him dead, take his outfit, and get the plates. Nephi balks at this, knowing that killing is wrong, but the scripture reads "Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands; Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief." Nephi then takes his sword, and "took Laban by the hair of the head, and I smote off his head with his own sword." See the complete scripture here: http://scriptures.lds.org/1_ne/4

Later in the story, the Sword of Laban is kind of a centerpiece of command - Nephi keeps it, and "after its pattern, makes many swords". It is handed down through the generations along with the holy records bought with blood and added to by prophets from Nephi to Moroni, which heavily abridged and translated by Joseph Smith in the 19th century become our Book of Mormon.

Ben, I would have happily played a role, but they weren't about to fly me out to L.A. or Hawaii for a bit part. I don't know if I'll even get a complimentary copy of the DVD when it comes out. I know I'll take a bunch of screen captures, though, and post some images here when I can.

Hammer on!
Old 10-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Skilled

Nice work, prizzim!

Well done!
Old 10-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Guru

Update:

just shared email with one of the producers, and they're looking into the complimentary DVD for me. Also, they are updating my bio on their "filmmakers" page to include www.neo-tribalmetalsmiths.com as a link. Might toss some interest our way.

Hammer on!
Old 10-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Guru

Update:

just shared email with one of the producers, and they're looking into the complimentary DVD for me. Also, they are updating my bio on their "filmmakers" page to include www.neo-tribalmetalsmiths.com as a link. Might toss some interest our way.

There will be some "making of" footage I took included on the DVD, for people interested in the hand-forging of a sword -the hard way-.

Hammer on!
Old 10-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Guru

I'm not sure whether the film will make it to this side of the Pond but if it does I'll definitely see it .... even just to see the sword and the credits

Glad you movie people still talk to us common folk

Roger

Old 10-15-2003, 02:21 PM
Guru

Good on ya Chris! I'm going to do my best to see the film. Thanks

KempKnives.com

Tags
blade, forging, knife