MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:37 PM
Master

Remember Bowie's Hammer-in? We may resurrect it...

Long time no post (Howdy Tai, Dana, etc!), but I felt this merited doing so .

My local guild meeting was today, and as it was too hot to do any forging we were just talking. Someone started lamenting that Ron Claiborne's annual knifemaking hammer-in is no more, as is Ron, for that matter. Someone suggested that we, the State of Franklin Blacksmith's Guild, host a similar event.

Question: If we do this, it will be at Rocky Mount State Historic Site in Johnson City, Tennessee. Would you attend? Assuming we can get the usual suspects rounded up (Burt Foster, Bill Wiggins, Fuad Accawi, Stephen Fowler, Lynn Landrum, Mark Zelasky, Wes Byrd, Richard Williams, etc., plus some new faces), get some vendors, maybe a hammer and press and grinders, and do a long weekend, primitive camping available on-site, and I might be talked into doing a smelt.

We're thinking sometime next spring or next fall. Lots of family-friendly activities close by, lots of outdoorsy stuff, good restaurants (lots better than near Bowie's!)

Any interest? It will be either free or very low admission. Lots of good stuff in Iron in the Hat. Let me know here, please.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:01 PM
Steel Addict

Doing a smelt? WOW - that should bring folks in. I KNOW if I still lived in northern Alabama I'd be there for sure. A VERY LONG drive from Gulf Coast.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:31 AM

Good to hear from you, Allan.

It's a bit far for me, but I'd probably go if I lived close. It sounds like a fun time.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:31 PM
Master

Yeah, it's a far piece from your place, Tai! And we don't have the funds to fly you in like Harley did that time. I still have pics of your floggin' hammer!

A smelt is possible if there is enough interest AND if the facility agrees. I have a bunch of high-phosphorus ore I've been wanting to run for a long time... but if we do it it'll most likely be with the stuff we're familiar with, since it's no fun to fail in public!
Old 07-15-2021, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

My son and I would attend if my schedule allowed.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:53 PM
Master

Update:

The Bowie Memorial Hammer-in will take place on October 7-9 2022! Venue not nailed down, but it will be in or near Johnson City, Tennessee.

Probably no smelting this time, but certainly next time. Gotta get the wrinkles pressed before we go all-out,
Old 02-04-2022, 01:33 PM
Master

And we have a venue confirmed. Farmhouse Gallery and Gardens, Unicoi, Tennessee (this link has hotel listings in Erwin, too).

https://visitunicoicounty.com/farmho...y-and-gardens/

They are also a campground, if you do the RV thing, or even primitive. Here's where to book a spot:

https://www.hipcamp.com/en-US/tennes...allery-gardens

And Facebook, if you do that:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...-236566675582/

The Lynch family, who own the place, have a commercial kitchen and will be selling us food. Buy lots so they appreciate us! They also have a herd of buffalo, including a white one, if that's your thing. They are great folks, and it's a great place. We're lucky to get the space.

Tags
a, art, bee, bill wiggins, blacksmith, book, bowie, buy, camping, forging, gallery, hammer, harley, hot, iron, kitchen, knifemaking, mount, ore, post, press, primitive, white