MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Skilled

Help me save my first knife

Ok, here's the scoop:
I'm finishing my first knife - a liner-locking folder. The good news is that everything is done but the heat treat and finish work and I am 99.8% happy with the outcome so far. The bad news is that I got a little gap between the scales and bolsters at one end (ie. the leading edge of the scales where they butt up to the bolsters isn't perfectly true. I apparently didn't pull the scales away from the grinder belt straight and you know the rest of the story. I had heard the trick of turning off the grinder before pulling away. Shoulda done that. The gap on each side is just a hairline - but quite visible.

So, do I true up the leading edges of the scales and then...
a) oval the screw holes and try to slide the scales against the bosters

or

b) use some kind of spacer between scale and bolster (something very narrow - just a few thou.)

or

c) scrap the bolsters and make a new set? I can't scrap the scales. No more matterial and they are the key to the whole project - ie sentimental value to future owner (My Dad).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really excited about this knife. I finished fitting the lock last night and I'm almost jumping I'm so pleased with it. It goes "Thwack!" and locks up like a vault.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:34 PM

There are more than a few ways/reasons why this happens on occasion...I've done my share. I definitely would opt for plan b)...with a qualifier...

I've said it so many times, mistakes always lead to more interesting knives (at least it does when you "go with the flow")...Instead of fighting the mistake, find a creative way to make it work for you.

I'd go with the spacer,...But if you're going to use a spacer then use a spacer! A spacer just a few thousandths in thickness will probably come off more like a mistake than an intentional design element.

The last knife I made (the DDRIII), incorporated a rather dramatic spacer that was carved out of 416ss sandwiched between brass shims. This was not part of the original design, but rather grew out of a simple slip...I accidently ground one of the scales too short to reach the planned damascus bolsters...and the damascus bolster material was too small to make a larger bolster. So, I had to come up with a spacer...

You get the idea.

Have fun with your mistakes...especially given the frequency with which they tend to happen!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. Certainly am looking forward to seeing your first knife...a folder no less! (No comments please as to where my first sole authorship knife is...it's coming, it's coming).

Old 02-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Skilled

Hi Dennis,
Your DDRIII was the first thing I thought of last night when I saw that hairline gap at one end of the scales. The next thing I thought was "No way am I that good!" he he. (That knife looks wonderful by the way. Nice job).

I appreciate your comment about going with the flow and seeing what happens. I have an idea now... (thanks)

-Ben

Tags
blade, knife, knives