MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast

Has anyone ever seen a grinder like this

I found grinder for sale, and I am wondering exactly what it is? It looks like an old model of my cheap harbor freight grinder at first glance, then I saw the work table on it... Then I noticed the 3rd wheel on it (variable speed) any info on this would help me out... If its worth it, I want to snatch it up quick. As always , thanks for your input.
J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5Ff5He5J63M73I33J3c9bf5c248e6852f1177.jpg (993 Bytes, 436 views)
File Type: jpg 5I95Q45Mb3Ea3Ic3Hbc9b914bda2dc3ce112e.jpg (1.1 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg 5Q35Kc5M23Mc3Ja3H2c9be7ac252475e31a0e.jpg (843 Bytes, 417 views)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast

I dont know that pics will come out that great, its a dayton model 3z165
Old 09-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

here is one more pic, mabey it will come out a little better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13320-A.jpg (55.9 KB, 227 views)
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 AM

Although it is a smaller grinder than most of us use for knifemaking, a lot of knives have been ground on these. It may be the same style/type as your HF, but it's a hundred times better made. Biggest issue with these is the torque required when grinding steel, tends to bog these down. Still a great shop tool if the price is right.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 09-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Very similar design to my old Grizzly 1x42", an excellent grinder. Don't know that I see it being variable speed though, that third wheel looks more like an adjustment for different belt lengths. Could easily be wrong about that, can't see the pic very well. If it is a 1x42" and if the price is under $200 it is definitely worth having - but not for blade grinding unless you're making pen knives and paring knives. Too small, but very useful for small jobs like shortening pins or rounding a corner - anything where you'd rather not start up a 2x72 .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 AM

the third wheel is used for performing inside grinds-you route the belt in such a way that the front and back side of the belt are almost touching then you can thread the belt through a hole in your work.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

thanks for all the replies, the guy said he will take 40 for it.... better jump. he doesnt know if its a 1x30 or 1x42... anyone know by the pic. my guess is 1x30. thanks again
Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 PM

No way that's a 1x30...at least a 1x42 which, IMO, is a far more desirable machine than a 1x30 .....

Old 09-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ray, I bought it for 40 bucks, pick it up tomorrow.... I can't see where I can go wrong, It works. I wonder if I can bump up to a stronger motor, this one is only 1/3 hp. But the motor might be able to be replaced. it has to be better then the HF 1x30 I have been using.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 AM

I think mine has a 1/2 hp motor which is far more than any 1x30 I've ever seen. The more I think of it, I think mine had that extra wheel on it when I got it. But, I removed that wheel and the disk on the side, removed the guards, and swapped the pulleys around to slow the belt speed down all on the first day I had it. So, changing the motor shouldn't be a problem if you need to do it ...

Old 09-18-2012, 05:08 AM

Mine is an old Craftsman (back when they sold decent gear). It came with a 1/2 hp. Modified mine as well. Eventually changed the whole configuration to have small interchangable contact wheels to do tight inside curves. Used rollerblades and skateboard wheels that already had great quality bearings in place and fit the shafts perfectly.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast

Now I am really excited and totally confused ???

Ok, I went and got the grinder, I have been using a HF 1x30 for months so I have some Idea what is going on, but once I started looking at it I am now more confused then ever, Here are my questions I hope one of you that have this type of grinder can help me out with.
1. Why all the wheels? do they speed up/ slow down the belt? I can't figure the wheel attached to the top arm to save my life.
2. the belt on it now is 1x42 I think, do the extra wheels make it so I can use bigger belt. The whole top arm is spring loaded/ tension
3. The motor, it is 1/3 HP and sounds and feels really weak compared to my 1/3 hp HF. What configuration do I need to look for to replace motor with 1/2 or 3/4 hp? I found some 1/2 but they had the same rpm (1750) listed as the one one there now, does it mean that it will have more torque ( I hate to sound stupid here, but I am when it comes to electric motors. I found the 56Z on the plate, but when I looked at another 56Z it looked different. If someone can explain the whole rpm vs. torque vs. HP I would be very appreciative.
4. I know someone must have tried this before, and I know it could not be this simple.. but I have to ask. can I put a light switch dimmer to control speed of belt? Here are some more pics so you have a better idea what I am talking about. overall, I dont see that I can go wrong for 40 bucks..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0283.jpg (227.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0284.jpg (234.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0285.jpg (125.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0286.jpg (165.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0287.jpg (192.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 PM

1. The extra wheel has something to do with being able to grind on the inside of small curves. Gives me a headache to even think about it so I threw mine away.

2. See answer #1

3.You want a 1725 motor, probably no more than 1/2 hp simply because those little belts can't survive much more than that. Give the motor you have a chance, it's probably all you need (or can use). If you do change motors, the same frame makes it easier but isn't absolutely required. Anything you can attach and has a pulley on it that is no larger than the current pulley would be OK. I put a smaller pulley on my motor and a slightly larger pulley on the belt - that slows down the belt and increases torque quite a bit.

4. Yes, but don't. If your motor is brushless it won't work, if it has brushes it will work but the slower you run the motor the less torque it has which means it will stop if you breathe on it too hard. Slow it down like I said in #3

Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast

Ray, as always.... Thank you. I think you are talking about the extra wheel attached to the top arm as for the grinding small curves ( the one I should remove) but I am wondering about the wheel on the back or vertical arm. It has a bearing in it and is attached with cotter pin. If you look at pics, in one picture, I have a belt running to it, in one I don't. what is the purpose of that? to run longer belts? Also, if I do replace change motor from 1/3 hp to 1/2 hp and keep rpm's at 1750 will it increase torque a bit? this is a problem I have with my HF 1x30 is belt bogging down. ( I know its to small and not powerful enough to grind blade from stock, but its all I had till I got this one) ( working my way up, just waiting for someone to post a bader III or KMG on craigslist for 40 bucks LOL...) Thanks for all Your help.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 AM

Yes, I'm talking about the extra wheel at the top. The wheel at the rear is used with the 1x42" belts as you have it pictured.

A 1/2 hp motor would likely have more torque than a 1/3 hp motor. Changing the pulleys as I described will probably do more to deliver that torque to the belt than changing the motor. Doing both would significantly increase the torque...

Tags
art, back, bearing, bee, belt, belts, blade, craftsman, design, for sale, grinding, guards, knife, knifemaking, knives, made, make, making, pins, post, simple, steel