MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Guru

New find, just had to share! Camelback!

This beauty is a rare find. Rare as in 100 year old almost mint condition shop tool find. You typically see these beauties in estate auctions.

Camelback drills turn much slower than modern drill presses, and this slower drill speed greatly extends drill bit life by reducing the heat build-up in the drill bit.

Camelback drills operate much more quietly and smoothly than modern drill presses - thus reducing operator fatigue.

Quote:
Counterpoints why a camelback drill is desirable in a blacksmith's shop

Camelbacks turn slowly. This is a great advantage! The camelback will drill at the recommended speed, or slower, for a given size of drill bit. The slower speeds will not burn drill bits. The camelback turns with greater force than modern drill presses due to the effects of gear and pulley size ratios. The camelback will drill large holes faster than a modern high-speed drill press.
Guards and screens can be made easily to bring these drills up to OSHA standards. Obviously fabricating guards is not a advantage for buying a drill. But the value of the slower speeds makes obtaining a camelback worthwhile and well made guards dramatically improve the resale price of a drill that is in good condition. Lack of guards causes prices of these drills to remain low as modern businesses do not bid up prices at sales for a drill that run them afoul of OSHA. If the owner works alone then making guards isn't required. But if the drill is to be used by others, then guards will be required. Look farther down this page for suggestions on belt guards.
These drills are heavy. This is a great advantage! Heavy weight absorbs vibration and noise, and makes the camelback more comfortable to use. An excellent advantage.
Machinery from the bygone era of industrialization required regular and daily care- oiling and wiping. The required maintenance dissuades modern businesses from purchasing these drills. Consequently reducing the price bidding at sales. The maintenance is easy and quick. A drop of oil in each of the oil holes, a squirt in each bearing cup. Wipe once with a rag. Do this once every couple weeks if the drill is not in use. When compared with the difference in drilling time for holes larger than 1/2", camelback will complete the job in less than half the time. A set of 4 holes 1-1/8" may take an hour with a camelback. How long would it take with a modern drill that lacks the power to turn the bit in large holes? How many hours would be spent sharpening bits that burned up because the modern drill turned to fast? A great trade off- we spend a few minutes a day caring for our equipment, and reduce drilling time by roughly half of the time that would have been required by a modern drill press.
Camelbacks are not supported by parts and service. The only advantage here is that prices of camelbacks are held down by lack of sales support. If the drill is broken or worn, it will need parts and repairs that can only be made by the user. If the drill is broken, then bid price is lower.

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

Last edited by EdStreet; 07-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:46 AM

That's just too cool! Just need to run a belt to your tractor flywheel and off you go.
I have a huge post drill (about 200#'s of iron), that I'm slowly reconditioning. Love the old tools.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Guru

Tight and square!

Just amazes me how something this old can be in this good of condition.

Classy is an understatement!

I sure do wish modern crap had this much style, class and fines about it, it just kills me to see the flimsy, thin, weak, horrible setup that many tools today have. It is as if they WANT you to break them.

This little number just screams bring it on!

Pulleys look quite good, the very last one is free spin, the shifter works quite good to, smooth and good motion.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Steel Addict

That machine is absolutely beautiful! So very jealous!!!

Brett
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Enthusiast

That's a beauty mate. I'm kinda sorry to say I hadn't even realized stuff like this was around to buy..
Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Guru

This is why I had to share it with everyone, they don't make then like this anymore.

Tags
bearing, bee, blacksmith, build, drill, easy, forging, iron, made, make, old tools, post, sharpening, tools