MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 02-06-2003, 02:42 PM

Vices

Anybody have and ideas on a cheap way to make a rotating vice for engraving? I am using a magnagraver tool but don't have a spare $400 bucks for an engraving ball right now.I am doing ok with straight lines and curves but would like to be able to rotate for scrolls

Thanks
Steve Patterson
Old 02-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Guru

Hi Steve,

You could make a pretty serviceable vice out of a bowling ball.

Once you find a way to cut it in half you can use pitch or hot glue to fasten your work to it. You might even drill and tap it for hold-down clamps.

Get a sand bag pad or a tire ring, similar to a plumbers bowl ring, to set the ball on.

I think Jim made one and he might have other ideas for you.

Tim
Old 02-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Skilled

Steve

I made a bowling ball setup as Tim describes many years ago. I cut off a little more than a third of the ball and drilled and tapped the flat area to hold a small drill press vice. You can use hardwood spacers in the jaws to help center up your work so as you turn the ball the scroll that you are working on will will stay close to center.

The biggest problem that you will encounter is cutting the ball. I used a table saw until I ruined my blade and then chipped away the rest with a hammer and chisel. Be careful when cutting if you use this method. Table saws are not designed to cut bowling balls!

Brian
Old 02-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to falconhawk
Bowling Ball Vices hahhhahahahah!!!!!

I htink lots of us at one time or another have gone that route.........

Bout 15-20 yrs ago when I first was starting to get real interested in Engraving (still to early for me to take advantage of the internet and the wonderful rescources avaliable to day) I too mad a bowling ball vice set up. I had little in the line of tools to work with so i hammered a wood plug into the thumb hole of the ball and anchored the vise directly into the wood. I used an old tire from a broke kids wagon for the base ring. Was nothing fancy but was servicable at the time.

Falconhawk

Tags
blade, knife