MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:36 AM

Peter,

Good for you makin' the change. It's the right move imho. Kudos!

I'm thinkin' I may make a tactical knife for this one, complete with Kydex sheath. I need some practice on some new designs that will be for sale locally to a bunch of cops I know and work with. I'm sure I could get some good feedback from the recipient.

As far as choosing, I have to decide what I want to focus on first. If I get some cool new wood I want to play with, I say, "Now what kind of steel and finish would look good with this?" Then I choose a design that works with both the steel and the wood.

Sometimes I like the shape first and choose the steel and wood after the drawings are made.

Other times, like now for instance, I have a great piece of cable damascus lying on the shelf. Then I choose a great handle material that works with it and then pick a design that ties it together.

I suppose a guy could just close his eyes and grab at stuff... I digress. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Let's have some fun!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

Bravo , Peter , Bravo . I agree in your decision. It will be fun having everyone involved.

I'm not sure what I'll make yet , I want to try something new , I have a set of Ram horns lying about I haven't cut yet. Working on my first blade in 440C , got my oven in the other nite , havent even turned it on yet. I only do stock removal , I dont have a forge or the energy to pound anything out by hand. ( they make power tools for that kind of thing )
I like to just set down with a pencil and draw out my new knives. Never know what might come out.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Skilled

Hope I'm not late...I'd like to be in.

The feedback portion will be be important for me. I've tried a lot of techniques, but haven't put them together yet. Also making shop additions and want time to practicve.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

Lightbulb Sounds fun

I would like to play! I am not a noob time wise but experience wise I am. I need an extended timeline like this to fit it in from work and on call duties and could use the inspiration to do something new. I am new to forging so that might count

Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

Nobody is too late.
Glad to have both of yall in!

I've decided that it'll be cable damascus- my dad's got loads of it from job sites. I'll start practicing with it this weekend if I get some time (mid terms may get in the way...). But hey- that's the reason for the long time frame.

Does anyone know of a way to make home made flux?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast

home made flux

Peter, mule team borax. I had a couple pieces of cable and it worked pretty good, my forging skills did not though, had a few unwelded spots in it due to not twisting it right. I have another and just might get it to weld this time

Old 12-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Registered

Sending Out For Heat Treating

Would sending the piece out for heat treating fall within the rules. I am considering getting into knife making and this seems like a good way to get involved. This will be my 1st attempt at making a knife from scratch.

Last edited by JBARTON; 12-05-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

JBARTON: Sure it would count, but it wouldn't hurt to learn how to do a home HT. Does this mean that you're in?

mmunds: 20 mule team borax it is- thanks!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Skilled

it sounds like theres going to be some real nice knives made, all this talk of cable damascus has got me thinking, my last knife had chaisaw damascus bolsters, maybe i will try that again. i was thinking, no one minds that i pla o making a folder do they, its jsut that i have made more of them and its really where my interests lie, everyone else is going fixed, is that some standard kith thing or is it just the style everyone usually makes?

Brett Holmes
Old 12-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

Normally there are themes to KITHs (People also seem to generally make fixed blade knives for KITHs too)- the theme for this one is participation. I'm sure that no one would mind a folder.
Damascus bolsters sound nice- looking forward to seeing your piece.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:52 PM

Maybe I'll send a phonebook to WSSI and have in stabilized. That should make an interesting handle!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Any newbieusing stainless steel will almost have to use a commercial HT'er unless they have already sprung for an oven which i understand can cost considerably more than a basic store bought forge. Many pro SR guys use Mr. Bos and others to great effect, so knock yourselves out. The Spring Fling KITH has a strict sole authorship rule, but you can HT spring steel with a torch and your kitchen oven, so that is diferent.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Well folks, I guess you'll have to count me out. Looks like I'll not be getting much hammer time this spring. Except to hammer on my dissertation. May be moving, too.

Maybe next time around.

Jason
Old 12-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that. I look forward to having your around next time then.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Artstu
Im in

This sounds like a lot of fun. Im planning on keeping the curent knife im making so it will have to be put on the back burner. I guess this means whoever gets my knife will have to pay shipping from canada too. Sorry. Ok and now to find some decent steel.
BTW my name is Stuart Brulotte.

Last edited by Artstu; 12-08-2005 at 06:34 PM.

Tags
awesome, balisong, blade, bowie, butterfly knife, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hand, hand made, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, made, post, show