MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hi all, semi-newbie checking in...

Hello to all, my name is Mike Hill and I am from Indiana. My introduction to knife making came about 13 years ago when I discovered the old PalTalk Knifemakers chat room. I had always been interested in making knives and it wasnt long before I had a forge built and was pounding on an old cold chisel using an old section of R.R. track as an anvil. I still have it and it still ugly.
I showed the results to the members and the popular opinion was, "Well at least it dont look like a butter-knife". So, with the cherished guidance of the likes of Ron Claiborne, Ed Caffery, Terry Hearn, and more than a few others, I started making damascus blades from chainsaw chains and cable.
Not long after that, I spent a weekend with Ron and he showed me the magic of really making damascus steel. The result was a beautiful random pattern L6/Nickle billet 18" long. This was the same weekend the Ron had his first Hammer-in...I think there were about 6-8 of us there, it's been a long time and my memory doesnt serve me well sometimes.
Sometime not long after that, I remember Ron and Ed coaching me via the net on forging my blade for my planned Bladesmiths test, and detailed instructions from Ed on heat treating the 5160 steel I planned on making the blade from. Unfotunately, fate had other ideas. I suffered a shattered left hand at work and was knocked out of forging for quite a while, gained an instant family, and developed some health issues as well. Now, after a long abscence, Ive decided to rebuild my forge and gather everything else I need and return to knifemaking. Im hoping to be operational sometime late spring maybe.
If there are any veterans of the old PalTalk knifemakers chat here, please give me a holler, I used to go by the handle "Bishop" on there. Would love to re-connect with some of the guys I so loved to talk to on there long ago. I also look foward to making new friends on here and re-learning all I have forgotten over the years as I start the adventure alll over again. Thanks ofr bearing with the long rambling post, god bless.

Mike
Old 10-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Mike,

I was on some of those Paltalk sessions until I got tired of the poor performance of my internet connection but I remember the talks fondly. I even sent Ron microphone once so he'd get on there and talk more, the lazy chump. Anyway, we have a chat room that is open on Sunday evenings (see the Chat Room Sticky at the top of the forum). It's only typing and mostly newbies in it but you'd be welcome if you want to drop in. Ed also had a chat room but I'm not sure if he still has it. He does have his own forum here though so it would be easy for you to check with him if you want to....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

Ray, thanks for the heads up, I will definately check in to the chat this coming saturday. I found Rons number here a couple weeks ago and gave him a call, sure was good to talk to him again, sure learned alot from him... Would have loved to make it to the hammer-in he was having that weekend but funds were short, had a couple rounds in the hospital recently and am still trying to recover financially. Looking foward to the chat, thanks again.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Skilled

E'llo Mike,

Welcome Back while I am still new to this site I have been making knives for close to 20 years and a US Army vet (Disabled & Retired) I too know how hard it is to get in the shop to forge Beautiful things . Never Give Up Brother ! there are many of us that take quite a bit of time to turn out a few knives .

I hope to chat with you some time .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Sam, Im hoping to get in to chat soon. I found out last night that this back-up computer tower we are running on is having a problem with Java, hopefully we can get our other tower fixed soon so I can visit the chat room.

Tags
5160, anvil, bearing, bee, billet, blades, chainsaw, cold, damascus, easy, forge, forging, hammer, hand, handle, heat, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, making, newbie, pattern, post, steel