MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 03-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Living Legend

Any home coffee roasters out there?

I have been roasting my own coffee for three years now. I thought I would let everyone know how easy it is and how much money you can save. Up here in Washington State coffee is not a drink, it is a religion. At first I used a small electric roaster that I bought for $150 but it only roasted about 8 oz. It was also noisy and the smell was pretty intense and acrid.

Then two years ago Santa got me a stainless steel gas BBQ with an electric rotisery. That started the voices and visions in my head. I built a small 6"x6" stainless drum with a hatch and a window with a chaff screen. I made it to slide right onto the skewer and secured it with two thumb screws so it can still be used for BBQing. In about 25-30 minutes I can get two pounds of fresh roastd coffee.

Most of the green coffee beans cost around $2.50-$4.00 a Lbs.(24 lbs bags) and they have at least a two year shelf life if not roasted. Now I have the freshest and best tasting coffee and most of all I can roast it exactly the way I want it. So if you are tired of paying $8-15 a Lbs for gourmet coffee that has been sitting around for weeks possibly you should look inot home raosting. Better coffee for less money. Around here I use it as currency and trade it for almost anything I need.

Roaster pic.
http://groups.msn.com/Brentscustomkn...to&PhotoID=111

Green coffee beans and home roasting supplies source.
http://www.coffeeproject.com/

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 03-12-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Master

Hi Brent,

Yep, been doing it for years myself! Have had the opportunity to turn a few other bladesmiths on to home roasting when I bring coffee to hammer-ins (Batson's, Harleys, Claiborne's, etc...) ...got Billy-Bob Sowell, Mike Alexander, and Jim Prill hooked on it, and a few others who I can't remember at the moment.

I started with a Hearthware Gourmet, then moved to a Precision, and now have an I-Roast. Here's another place to get supplies from...the guy who runs this place (Tom) is top notch:

http://www.sweetmarias.com

I especially like his site, his attention to detail in orders and in coffee selection, as well as his extensive cupping notes on-line.

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 03-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Master

....also, if you're into home roasting, you're probably familiar with vacuum coffee brewers...if not, I've got a little info on my personal web pages:

http://www.DarrenEllis.com

...most of that site is out of date... I've got a collection of around 150 vacuum coffee brewers dating from the mid 1800s to the 1970s that I'm going to put up for sale soon if you know anyone who's interested...

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 03-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Living Legend

Thanks for posting the website. I wanted at least a two pound roasting capacity machine but the least expensive one was $7000! That is why I set out to build my own. The total cost was around $4 for some SS pop rivets and a couple hinges. The rest of it was just SS scrap waiting to be turned into something. I found out that the electric roasters don't roast outside very well if the temp is below 70 ish. With my coffee-que it does not matter how cold it is.

Until now I did not know anyone else that raosted. If they only knew what they were missing. Anytime we have guests over I never tell them the coffee is home roasted. I wait until they try it and completely flip over the taste.

It's good to see at least one other roaster out there!