MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-16-2016, 03:59 PM
Skilled

Ron, that belt buckle was a nice lagniappe. The knife handles were even better. I might have to review my RMK priorities.

My apology Rick... I read your qualifier exactly as you intended it, but muffed the wording of my reply which was intended to be just a footnote about early SS 12-8s, not a zinger about trivia. I love your work. Showing that time-lapse is eye-opening... I think I like the oxidized RMK better. Sure wish I had a Rick-scrimed Randall 45 and matching RMK model-14. Let me think about that possibility.

Regards.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknola View Post
Sure wish I had a Rick-scrimed Randall 45 and matching RMK model-14.
Jack,

I may have just what the doctor ordered. I'm selling these .45 grip panels for a friend in NY. These ivory grips were made for a Randall .45 by Dan Chesniak who made the ivory stocks for the Colt Custom Shop. In the mid 1990's I scrimshawed the LT. from the "Three Service men" monument on the inside panel. In 35 years I've scrimshawed about 5 or 6 gun grips. If you're interested, email me and I'll connect you guys.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Skilled

Rick, that is an awesome set of grips. Let me think about it... I kinda like the period wood grip on my pistol. Plus ivory is getting to be difficult to traffic, though knife and gun grips could be an exception. Right now I don't have any ivory-handled RMKs ... but if I owned or acquired ... say ... a period RMK M-14 with a block ivory handle that could be similarly scrimed, perhaps it would be a no-brainer .... Actually this would look pretty good ...

I'll contact you by PM when this becomes something that I have to have. It would require some planning, consultation, and budgeting. Thanks

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-24-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:36 AM
Enthusiast

Randall Pistol & Randall Knife

Here you go Jack...my Randall Firearm I believe it was a 'Raider' model.

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Jack I had a 14 with an ivory handle. It was cool.
Ronnie
Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
You can see in that photo just how well those Randall .45 's were made. Just beautiful.
Ronnie
Old 07-29-2016, 09:20 AM
Skilled

Rex, that does look raider-sized. which is cool and handy, like the pretty little knife. I thought of getting one of the 6-round Lemay models as a carry, but they are pretty pricey. The raider size is nice, but I have to watch myself to keep from buying expensive guns. Wait...come to think of it, I paid less for my Randall pistol than I have paid for some of my knives!!

I shot my Randall 45 for the first time a week or so ago. I was also shooting my old M1911A1 from pre-Vietnam, probably WWII era. The Randall was much more accurate, possibly from 10 groove rifling rather than the old 6-groove shallow rifling on the Remington... that, and the fact that my M1911A1 is really old... I mean OLD. It was a blast shooting the Randall...and it got a lot of attention at the range.

Ronnie, I surely wish you had a picture of the M-14 knife with the ivory handle. If I win the lotto, I'm going to have one made up... maybe with alternative ivory if I can't find documented real stuff. What would be cool is to get an old 14 Solingen blade that was never handled and then Rick B might get a call... Dreams are good. You've had some really good stuff pass through your hands.

Following up a tip in another on-line conversation, I checked out American Holly wood as a substitute for the look of ivory. What I found was pretty interesting:

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-28-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:51 AM
Steel Addict

Holly Wood Grips

Jack those grips look pretty good. They may work for a Westy replica.
I do have pictures of the 14. I'll get them scanned and post them next week.
Ronnie
Old 07-30-2016, 06:18 AM
Skilled

Love those grips Jack. And I'm on board for Ronnie's pictures too! An Ivory handled Model 14 would be smack square in the middle of my wheelhouse! Especially with a Solingen blade!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:47 PM

Bill,
This isn't a Soligen blade but it is a very early CDT model #14 that Tom carved and engraved. Surprisingly, even after 30 years the ivory has not cracked. This ivory is striped which is famous for cracking along the stripes. I believe the carving on either end of the handle mitigated the chance of it cracking.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Skilled

Would love to land that one in my safe!
Old 09-15-2016, 07:29 PM

Randall .45 Service Model C

Found one for the collection.
The disassembly is a little different than a Standard 1911.
There is a slot in the guide rod that you have to swing the Barrel Bushing through and then remove the guide rod and guide rod spring before you can remove the barrel.
Tricky, since on mine the slot does not line up with the Barrel Bushing.
Does anyone have a copy of the manual that actually shows the field stripping of the Randall Service Model C?
I am having trouble keeping the barrel link forward when replacing the guide rod.
Thank you!

Old 09-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Skilled

I had a problem with this but a friend helped me. Unfortunately I have misplaced his instructions. You can buy a repro instruction manual on line for $40 which is kind of expensive. Here is link...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583614354

However, this 1911 site (below) has a lot of expertise. I recommend register and ask your question on-line. If I find my notes I'll share..

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...s-Parts-Source

Last edited by Jacknola; 09-16-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 AM
Skilled

I saw not one, not two, but THREE of these pistols at the local gun show this past weekend, all in one case by the same seller. One was a Curtis Lemay model. His prices ranged from $1400 up to $3000.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Skilled

Hi Bill.. those prices seem to be a little high depending on the model. At any one time there are several Randall pistols for sale on gunbroker.com. That site seems to put the higher priced items first on the list... but if you scan down some better bargains can be found. I usually search just for "Randall" because I also want to see the knives... which are almost always overpriced (but I did buy a bargain m14 Viet era once).

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Randall

Here is a model A131 for $1,295... which in my opinion seems realistic if it is indeed in pristine condition as advertised, based on the fact I've been watching this site for several years. There have been less expensive pistols sold, but they usually have been extensively used and modified.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/624001716

I bought mine off this site, had it transferred to a gun dealer here who charged me $25 for the service. Easy. Regards...

By the way, the site doesn't use credit cards for transactions, must send certified check, money order, etc... but I had no problems.

Last edited by Jacknola; 03-02-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Tags
911, art, auto, awesome, back, bee, browning, california, carving, case, common, engraved, image, john, knives, made, mirror, post, problem, randall, show, small, stainless, stainless steel, steel