MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Try it on a scrap piece first.
Tested both:
-The leather dye colored it, but i'm not really happy with the finish, since it looks painted and not as natural wood.
-The acid had 100% no effect on the wood (just to mention, the fumes of the acid made a hole in the metal cap of the glass bottle, I keep it in). I can't tell, how amazed I am.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:44 AM

Better find an acid proof container, usually neoprene is resistant to most acids. Glass acid bottles with glass tapered plugs are the standard. If you continue to leave the lid with the hole in place it will off-gas and the vapors will invade your work area start rusting everything with iron and corroding everything with copper in it.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-03-2018, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Better find an acid proof container, usually neoprene is resistant to most acids. Glass acid bottles with glass tapered plugs are the standard. If you continue to leave the lid with the hole in place it will off-gas and the vapors will invade your work area start rusting everything with iron and corroding everything with copper in it.
Did. Found another glass bottle with a PVC cap, that holds acids and bases (idk if I told, but I work in a chem. lab).

So at this point, I'm nowhere with the black wood.
I've managed to find that block on ebay, but it wont suite my project, since it's 30mm too short (1.25" too short).
Old 04-04-2018, 02:35 AM
Steel Addict

Try taking a piece of what you have available and heating the surface with a torch to blacken it. It will look VERY proper on an Uruk Hai, the right level of Orcish engineering. If it doesn't look like you want try using a dark stain. If those don't get you where you want to go then I'd consider dropping a lot of cash on exotic wood.

Tags
440c, a, blade, blades, blanks, desert ironwood, g10, handle, handle scales, handles, heat, ironwood, knife, made, make, making, micarta, palm, project, resin, rosewood, scales, supply, wood, woods