MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 PM

My smallest mini yet

I'm still here:-) It's been a busy past three months and I've had precious little computer time in general, so I'm looking forward to a night of quality reading and viewing here on the forum!

Here's my latest mini. 1095 high carbon with patina, heat treated in propane forge, profiled on grinder, mostly hand beveled with small files, polished with sandpaper. (220, 400, 600, and 1200) Snakewood handle, shaped on grinder, hand sanded. Extremely sharp.

I really enjoy making minis, but I don't know if I'll do another one this small any time soon because of the time investment. I could have made three normal sized knives in the time it took to make this one.

I'll post some pics of normal sized knives soon.

This forum was very helpful for me in learning more about edge geometry. I've applied what I learned here back in July, and my personal designs have improved. Beveling is still my greatest challenge.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Beveling is just about everybody's greatest challenge but looks like you're getting there....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 AM

LL
Not bad! I make a lot of the mini's when time permits. Tougher than most folks realize. I've made a "universal" holding jig for almost everyone I've made.
Couple of tips: take the time to find the tightest/finest patterned grain wood (goes for damascus if you use it for a blade as well) and use the smallest pins you can. These all add to overall proportionalizing (is that a word?) of the knife....makes it look better overall.
They are a lot of "mean" fun to make. Just don't try throwing them when you find they stick well in cardboard........whole different story. Trust me on this one.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Enthusiast

I was always taught that a "Mini" was a small version of a standard pattern built by the knifemaker, not a random group of angles . Bob Levine Mentor for the state of Tennessee, Knifemakers Guild

Last edited by bob levine; 10-12-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: additions
Old 10-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Steel Addict

Cute, did you cut your finger making that mini? Just curious, since you said you make other minis, do you make a pattern for them or at least have a visual as to what you want? Or do you just sort of start from scratch and see where it goes? Asking because of the time and work involved in making them. I know people that collect mini "stuff" there could be a good market for these really small ones, even earrings.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:50 AM

All of mine are scaled models of full sized ones I've made. Using same materials (scrap pieces from original), except for the blades. Usually make them from reforged damascus. Do this so I can get tighter patterns that are more scaled to the size of the mini.
There is a definite market for mini's by serious and knowledgable collectors, however they are very discerning. Your work has to be detailed well to sell well.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Skilled

nice lil knife

Sam
Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 PM

Thank you for the comments!

Crex, I see what you mean about the pins. I usually make minis out of left over bar stock when we're done with my hubby's projects (we tied the knot in Sept!) Minis are something that I find especially pleasurable to make, but they're not the bread and butter so I don't have a stash of supplies for them. I just use what's on hand and squeeze a couple in when time permits. The mini pictured here is a lot smaller than my other ones, so the pins look especially huge on this one. The next time we place an order for mosaic pins, I'll sneak in some extra small ones. I'll also check my wood for the tightest and/or most uniform patterns. I agree that those things would make a huge difference.

Piggy, I just trace a knife shape on a scrap of bar stock and profile with angle grinders and industrial belt grinders. I base my minis on larger knives of various descriptions. I don't have a pattern, per se. I have a great deal of fun working on small, functional knives for sure:-) I didn't cut myself.. that's a grinder kiss. I got that shaping a handle on a full sized knife.

Bob, I just call them minis because they're small. I've spent the past year learning how to make regular sized slab handled knives, predominantly out of 1095 hc steel, under the instruction of my Husband, who is a professional blacksmith. There's a HUGE amount I have to learn about terminology, classifications, edge geometry, etc. I can make certain types of slab handled knives from start to finish, including heat treats, but I am following a specific set of instructions and performing a lot of repetitions. I know a lot of motions without knowing the 'science' behind them, and I've mostly worked with incredibly reliable 1095, so I'm very limited in what I can work with steel-wise using my current skill set. When we're in the shop, we're all work, no talk by habit. My husband has a low tolerance for shop talk during our R&R time, so he has encouraged me to research the answers to my questions online. The reason I joined this forum is because my husband suggested I spend some time here. He said there are plenty of forums, but in his opinion the knife network has the highest rate of good advice and the lowest rate of nonsense.

I don't get a chance to make many full size knives of my own design. We do sell what we make, and there is a fairly consistent and unique look to my husband's knives. (He makes quite a few products as a blacksmith, but knives are definitely his favorite.) My first attempts at designing my own knives we disasters of edge geometry. They were definitely random groups of angles and curves! Now I have a purpose in mind for each knife with careful concentration on shape and steel thickness.

I make minis as often as possible, and usually they are my own designs. Whether they are technically minis or very small knives, I definitely have a good time with them!

I have seen some minis here on this forum that took my breath away. They are definitely technical minis- they could fit snugly into G.I Joe's hand- and the miniature details such as file work, carving and engraving, were masterpieces of artistry and talent.

Tags
1095, art, back, bee, blade, damascus, edge, files, forge, hand, handle, jig, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, make, making, pattern, pins, post, sharp, tips, wood