MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 10-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Skilled

Ole Bucket Mouth....the one that didn't get away!

Couldn't help but post this. Got this Bass on 4lb test, small hook, and light rod....then tossed the same minow back in and got his little brother too! I know most of you boys down south get fish this size all the time.. but up here this sucker is BIG. Largest freshwater Bass I've caught. Gonna have him mounted.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 10-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Guru

Good on 'ya, Mace. That looks like a tasty one - too bad you're sacrificing it to the mantle, but I understand. Enjoy his brother!

Hammer on!
Old 10-26-2003, 07:24 PM

Take critical measurements with a good photo and order a fiberglass model. That way you can eat the ones you caught. Cost comes out the same.
I usually try to release one like that cause they are prime genetic breeders (good for the pool).
Good catch though!
Crex

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Hall of Famer

After living 27 years within 10 miles of the Columbia River I finally got a chance to fish on it Thursday and lost my first salmon on it. Those are a couple nice looking bass, I wouldn't think twice about taking them home......

Old 10-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Skilled

you did that....

you did that to me just to make me jealous being as i had to cancel a fishing trip due to work. nice lookin fish! now your gonna have to invite everyone for a fish fry AND a hammer in. grumble grumble.....
Old 10-26-2003, 10:14 PM
Skilled

mace,

I dont know where up here is but that is one nice fish! I can relate living in PA a fish that size is a keeper for sure!!!!

Happy fishing

Ross
Old 10-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Hall of Famer

mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Good fish.

eat fish mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 10-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Skilled

The fish was caught in Rogers lake in Old Lyme Connectcut. I planned with a couple of friends to go out Fri. afternoon, mostly I wanted to burn up some old gas from the start of the year, so I could put the boat away for winter. We got to the lake about 3:00pm and it was windy, cold, and the lake had white caps.
We went down to the far end of the lake and found a spot that was protected from the wind and started fishing. Got a few in that spot, then we moved back up the lake. It was nice because about an hour after we got there all the wind had stoped. The second spot we hit I got the big one in the first five min. and the next one right after that. I think my friends wanted to kill me at that point. I talked to a guy who is a Taxidermist in my Rod and Gun club, he talked about the fiberglass mount and I would rather it be the actual fish. I meen when you get a deer mount you don't use fake fur. Those fiber fish look great, but I didn't catch a 2 gal. pail of rezin.
You guys have any nice fish, or game pics you want to share?
Bring it on!
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

Old 10-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Skilled

Mace and company, thought you might like this and i recommend trying it if you get the chance.

That is from a striper trip in the chesapeke bay down in maryland. I am told that he was a small one but for me I loved it and seemed big enough to me!! We had a slow day caught 7 fish total but we still had fun, a buddy of mine goes a few times a year and has caught 50-60 fish on a trip and has caught a beaut 42 lb one!! If memory serves this one was a mere 20 lbs!!

Take care

Ross
Old 10-28-2003, 09:01 AM
Guru

If we're tell'n fish stories....

This one was 40" and caught off the Boliver(Galveston) beachfront a couple days before the hurricane hit this past summer.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Skilled

Don reminded me of this when he mentioned the hurricane. The day I got these fish there was a huge solar storm on the surface of the sun and it was sending gamma rays out. The report said it would even interfere with satilite functions. I wonder if it had anything to do with me catching them!
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

Old 10-28-2003, 12:31 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to YAMAMA
Since we are showing fish pics... Here are a few from the Left coast. mmmm... mmm.. Chicken of the Sea.

Old 10-28-2003, 01:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Big Fish

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 10-28-2003, 08:45 PM

Nice bull red there, Don. What kind of fly did you catch him on?
I've done real well with an up turned chartruse/blue clouser, Lefty C. style, down in the Ochclocknee Bay area below Talahassee.
We caught several last week in the 30"+ range, but you can't keep that size in Fla. Wind got up almost as early as us and kept the "fly-time" limited. One like that on a #8 rod is equivalent to about a minute of fight per pound. What a hoot!
We did get into some fine flounders on the leeward side of the grass. They were running from 5 to 8 pounds and we averaged 12 to 14 a day. First time I've ever caught them like that. Even got one on the clouser.
Hey, all you guys been fishing instead of forging? Must be the new moon or something.
CRex

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Guru

Over here we get a tag for one bull red over 30". If you return the tag to parks and wildlife, they issue you a second tag. Other than that you can keep 4 between 18" and 25"...last time I checked. it may be different now.

We go out a couple days before the hurricanes roll in and use surf rods. You never know what you'll pull up. We drug a sting ray(about 3' across) in through 200 yrds of surf and a medium sized shark as well. Reds are much more fun on lighter tackle! I'd love to go down around Matagorda or Aransas pass and do some saltwater fly-fishing. I used to go up around Farmington, NM and Suache, CO every year and go fly-fishing. Been a couple decades since then, though!

Tags
forging