MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

buffing compound

i bought some buffing compound from the local hard ware store and was wondering if it would get a good finish on my knives it is made for cars thats why i was wondering it has a fine abrasive in it and it made for use with a buffer. it is turtal wax buffing compound
would it work good or do i need to look for something better it was all they had
Old 11-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I realize you're in Canada so this advice might be a little difficult for you to follow but here it is: get a catalog from all the big knife supply houses like Sheffield's, Jantz, K&G Finishing, and Texas Knife Supply. Those catalogs list a huge variety of buffing compounds AND they tell you what they are for and how to use them. Carbon steel, stainless steel, Micarta, bone, wood etc all take different compounds if you want the best results. Many compounds are used in combination to achieve the desired result. For those reasons, I can't imagine that the compound you have will meet all your buffing needs.

I think most of those companies will ship to Canada but, if not, you could probably work out a deal with someone on the forum to ship the products to you. Good luck....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast

thanks ray i was just wondering if it would be ok for now to use on my blades because i dont have a real selection of store and what not there is a knife supply guy i forget his name he was at the canadian knife guild show and after i get a job i am going to head down there and get some stuff but it is like a 3 hour drive so i am going to get a whole but load of money set aside. i tryed it on some brass and it turned out a nice polish on it for not useing a wheel and not sanding it very well so just looking for some input
Old 12-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Skilled

I use the buffing compund kit sold through Princess auto. They sometimes come on sale. The black emory is nice for taking out snading scratchs[ make sure you do a good job of sanding before you start polishing] clean that up with the brown or red then onto the white for a nice final finnish. You sould still go through a knifemakers supply for a fine finnishing compound for the handle materiels you are using. I use the white copound for stabalized wood or stag handles.
Oh but dont buy the princess auto buffing wheels. They dont hold togather well at all. Another thing I like to do is have a pair of buffing wheels for each color of copound. and clean the wheels offen. This well speed up the process alot.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Living Legend

It is a good practice to take your buffs off the machine and store them in ziplocks. One piece of grit from a grinder or even comtamination from a coarser compound will make a mess of a blade quickly and destroy all your polshing work.

The best wheels are stitched muslin, IMO. Some people like felt wheels. Unsewn muslin buffs will grab a blade so fast you can't even react...dangerous!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:40 PM

Polishing, buffing and related stuff

If Turtle Wax Buffing Compound is the liquid stuff I have used, putting it on a spinning buffing wheel would be entertaining but really messy. Buffing compound in cakes is available through industrial supply companies. Most of these companies also sell mandrells and buffing wheels. Polishing is done on many articles besides handmade knives and most industrial suppliers can get you buffs and compound at VERY reasonable prices, in Canada too.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast

For what its worth, harbor freight sells sticks of each of the compounds from black all the way to the blue for about 4 bucks a piece and craftsman makes a kit with one wheel, an arbor attatchment for your drill and 4 or five small stick of different color compounds for around 10 bucks. I found it on amazon and I know they ship to canada...

Tags
blade, craftsman, drill, forge, handmade knives, kit, knife, knives, made, stainless steel, steel, supply, wax