MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 02-07-2017, 05:09 PM
Skilled

Randall M14 sold with Purple Heart

Jack, I know you love those M14's with provenance. Did you see this one? If so, what do you think of it? Don't know how old the listing is, but it has been sold. Hopefully to someone who knows how to handle that Purple Heart.

http://www.mileswelze.com/Randall_Vintage_AP14.html

The specifics:

Randall Vietnam Era Model 14
7-1/2" Tool Steel Blade
Custom Front Side 101 ABN Engraving
Owned by SGT. Lyle Schroeder
KIA 01-26-1969
Double Brass Guard
Black Micarta Handle
Unlined Thong Hole
Riveted Johnson Roughback Sheath
Engraved Airborne Plate on Toe
Randall Made Knives Carry Case

Included:
Sgt. Schroeder's Purple Heart
101st Airborne Medallion

Summary: this is a Randall model 14 that was owned by the late Sgt. Lyle Schroeder, a Vietnam Vet who was killed in action on January 26, 1969. Much can be found about the late Lyle Schroeder on the internet, information regarding his service record is readily available.

This knife has a 7-1/2" tool steel blade, large brass guard, and fingered black micarta handle with unlined thong hole. The front side custom etching reads "101ST ABN LYLE SCHROEDER", it was done at some point after the knife originally left the shop. The knife has obviously been carried: blade has been buffed lengthwise, verdigris on the guard, many light scratches on the black micarta handle.

The sheath is a riveted Johnson roughback with stone pouch removed, modified on the front toe with the riveted AIRBORNE plate with the late Sergeant Schroeder's name at the top. The sheath has obviously been carried, I didn't mess with the verdigris around the rivets.

I found an internet post from the brother of the late Lyle Schroeder (see photo 12), I tried calling and emailing Perry Schroeder (brother) but was unable to make contact.

The Purple Heart and 101st Airborne medallion are both engraved with late Sgt. Schroeder's name, both stay with the knife / sheath.

12 photos for review -- as shown, a black Randall Knives carry case is included. This knife was tucked away for years in the collection of the late Tom Clinton,
Old 02-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

before I joined this site I had never heard of Randall knives, heck I have only been making knives for a year now, but seeing the Randall knives you guys post and reading all your posts about the knives and the knowledge you all have pertaining to the knives has got my attention, I look forward to coming on each day just to see what is new on the Randall knives forum. I think its the stories and history that go along with each knife that I enjoy so much.

Thanks guys, Carl

Last edited by mr.HC; 02-07-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Skilled

Welcome to our forum Carl. There is a lot to learn about these knives, and we have some outstanding members who have been studying these knives for years.
With the storied history of Randall knives, from being the first in space, to being carried by American Warriors/Hero's in defense of our nation, to the avid hunter, and the rabid collectors, it's all here.
Welcome Carl.
Regards, Sam
Old 02-07-2017, 11:28 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
That's a cool 14. Very neat.
Ronnie

Tags
bee, brass, etching, handle, how to, hunter, knife, knives, made, make, making, micarta, post, randall, rivets, shop, show, steel, stone, tool, tool steel, vietnam, vintage