MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Steel Addict

Talking My favorite time of year!!!

As some of you may know hunting season is upon us. And for the sake of discussion I was curious as to everyone's favorite blade or type of blade either home made, kit, or store bought for field dressing the freezer fillers that some of us will be getting this fall. I made one for myself of 1085 with black oak burl and home job heat treat. Hope to either see pictures or at least description of what everyone is using. Happy hunting!!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:06 AM
Steel Addict

I carry a round point skinning blade I made from 1084 with 100+ year old osage wood from a fence post that a buddy brought from his family ranch in Texas.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
This time of year is always "field testing" for me. Any "new" ideas that I've come up with during the summer get "put to the test" by building myself (and a few trusted others) knives which incorporate the "new ideas".

Last year was testing Gun-Kote finishs on blades.....I built myself a mosaic drop point, finished it out with clear Gun-Kote, and went through the season with it.

This year I'm testing out stabilized leather for handle material, as well as a couple of "new" fossil damascus blades in which I've changed the powder composition in hopes of achieving more "toughness".

As far as my favorite for hunting season, more times then not, I'm carrying an EBK sized knife....less then 3" blade, along with a small hunting hatchet. I've gone through everything from swans to elk and find that for me, less is more when it comes to hunting blades.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Steel Addict

I imagine this would be a great time to do a little research on a blade as far edge retention not only skinning but in elk or deer camp making fires and cutting up meals. I have a couple of friends that guide a lot during these next couple months mainly for elk and deer and thought about making them on end having them really put them to work skinning and gutting. I have never really got into the hatchet side of things outside of one for camp. Glad to see some fellow hunters.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Steel Addict

I'm hoping to finish up a drop point hunter for myself for this upcoming moose season. The plan is to add 300 WSM casings so that it is a match to my rifle.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Master

amboyna burl drop , simple with a purpose, to work work work...........
no problem carving up this entire elk last week

Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Steel Addict

Didn't draw any tags this year, but that just leaves more time for hunting coyotes. .......and making knives of course. Just finished this knife, I might keep it for myself for the skinning chores.

Last edited by MVPeterson; 09-18-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Skilled

One of the first knives I have ever made. D2 and Ironwood. Skinned and cut up 2 deer and skinned 1 steer before it needed sharpening.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Skilled

One of the first knives I have ever made. D2 and Ironwood. Skinned and cut up 2 deer and skinned 1 steer before it needed sharpening.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=52047

Tags
1084, blade, building, burl, carving, damascus, handle, heat, heat treat, home, home made, hunter, hunting, kit, knife, knives, leather, made, material, mosaic, post, powder, skinning, store, wood