MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:07 AM
Skilled

Yep I've seen those. I believe thats called a Wyoming knife. That WOULD work to zip 'em open. But that's a far cry from a little hook on the end of a blade, as you well know.

Maybe you could take one of those and weld it to the end of your blade for your customer!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-13-2016, 10:55 AM

This one of those times when these forums can get a bit frustrating.

This isn't the first time everyone has jumped on the bandwagon to bash an idea or a feature of a knife. I hate to see that because it stifles creativity and artistry, Moreover, it just seems like snobbery. I am reminded of when a member here made the comment that he, "...wouldn't cross the room to look at a knife if it had a Dymondwood handle".

I don't own a gut hook knife myself, so I have no skin in the game. I just hate to read things like, "...don't know how to field dress a deer", "...probably has no business using a knife if he needs a gut hook". I mean..., come on gang. If you don't want to make a gut hook because you believe that they are too 'low brow' then don't make them, but implying that a person is too stupid or ignorant to use a knife because he/she was intrigued by a novelty feature is a bit rude.

How many features on custom knives are there for aesthetics only and have questionable functional legitimacy?

Assisted opening: 'if a guy needs assistance to open his pocket knife, he obviously doesn't know how to use one'

Guards: 'if a guy needs a guard on his knife to prevent cutting himself, he clearly doesn't know how to properly hold his knife'

Serrations: 'Humbug!'

Thongs: 'Phooey!'

I could go on and on. There are many things we do to knives just for the 'cool' factor. Anybody heard of Damascus steel?

I need a new hunting knife for this deer season. I think I'll make one with a gut hook... and Dymondwood.

Much love!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 08-13-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Guru

Red face Good show old timer.

Yes I use dymondwood, mostly the plain wood varieties as I just prefer them. I mostly use exotic wood as I love the varieties available and I will use different woods in the handles. I use jeweling a lot because I like it. Also like I said I will make a kit knife if it meets my requirements and is unusual in some way. I have several from when I drove truck as starting from scratch wasn't an option as I literally lived in my 18 wheeler for over .75 million miles, ie. almost 6 years. I used to stop at Jantz Supply in Davis OK. and buy some. They carried some high quality, made in Japan knives before the switch to China manufacturing and I still have a few. Not a single one under RC 58, not one. The stuff from China? not so much, screw Pakistan. I bought a Kukri from Nepal, but that was a special request. I told my customer that to make one from scratch would be around $400 and he recoiled from that.lol So I bought an Authentic one and handled it for him for considerably cheaper. That Kukri was 9mm thick at the spine. A true Kukri is thick, 1/4" minimum.

If my customer insists on a gut hook I'll get the Wyoming knife or make something like it that takes safety razors held with a set screw. To file out the knife I have would possibly ruin the blade, there just isn't enough room to make the slot functional. I just don't think with the fur on the hide would fit down in there and cut. But the Wyoming knife was the answer I was looking for. So thanks for that Goater.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:26 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Garrett View Post
This one of those times when these forums can get a bit frustrating.

This isn't the first time everyone has jumped on the bandwagon to bash an idea or a feature of a knife. I hate to see that because it stifles creativity and artistry, Moreover, it just seems like snobbery. I am reminded of when a member here made the comment that he, "...wouldn't cross the room to look at a knife if it had a Dymondwood handle".

I don't own a gut hook knife myself, so I have no skin in the game. I just hate to read things like, "...don't know how to field dress a deer", "...probably has no business using a knife if he needs a gut hook". I mean..., come on gang. If you don't want to make a gut hook because you believe that they are too 'low brow' then don't make them, but implying that a person is too stupid or ignorant to use a knife because he/she was intrigued by a novelty feature is a bit rude.

How many features on custom knives are there for aesthetics only and have questionable functional legitimacy?

Assisted opening: 'if a guy needs assistance to open his pocket knife, he obviously doesn't know how to use one'

Guards: 'if a guy needs a guard on his knife to prevent cutting himself, he clearly doesn't know how to properly hold his knife'

Serrations: 'Humbug!'

Thongs: 'Phooey!'

I could go on and on. There are many things we do to knives just for the 'cool' factor. Anybody heard of Damascus steel?

I need a new hunting knife for this deer season. I think I'll make one with a gut hook... and Dymondwood.

Much love!
Andy I think you read too much into my statement. Or perhaps, once again, I got burned by the literal interpretation, when much is lost in the "conversation" when we don't have the added advantage of hearing voice inflections and reading facial expressions. I wonder why I never learn this lesson...ah well.

I really don't care if someone wants a "guthook" on the end of their knife. However, in reality, I cannot imagine the thing would or even could serve a realistic function. Therefore, I believe them to be little more than gimmicks. Meant more to snare consumers than serve a realistic function. As far as "not knowing how to use a knife"? More of a tongue in cheek comment with no real ill intent.

It's kind of like when us newbs look for a grinding jig to help us grind nice bevels, and you experienced guys tell us we , "need to learn how to grind freehand". That newb with his Buck knife with gut hook who has been sold on the "need" for a gut hook, simply "needs" to learn to properly field dress a deer with a blade. It was not my intent to imply someone as stupid if they used a gut hook any more than anyone here is implying anyone is stupid for using some type of grinding jig.

You refer to them above as a "novelty item" and suggest someone being "intrigued" by that "novelty item". Obviously your own categorization suggests it is less than realistically functional does it not? Were you being "rude"? I don't think you were.

If someone uses one, (assuming they will actually work) I'm certainly not going to make fun of him.

Assisted opening? Serves a useful purpose IMO
Guard? COULD serve a useful purpose. Maybe when a big Bowie is used for sticking pigs, it COULD prevent hot, sweaty, bloody hands from sliding forward.
Lanyard? CAN serve a useful purpose for hooking a finger around to extract a knife from a tight sheath.
Serrated blades? Mystery to me as to purpose or how to sharpen. I don't use them.
I'll throw in bolsters. Meh, probably largely decorative and serve no purpose but the argument could be made they prevent wear to the wood where it pushes into a leather sheath. Dunno.
Synthetic or Dymondwood type handle materials? Certainly usable, functional, and some may say superior to natural wood. Seems I recall you mentioning a dislike of stabilized wood calling it "plastic looking". Maybe that wasn't you but clearly some prefer natural wood, some stabilized, some G-10...none of them are gimmicks and clearly serve individual functions.

Gut hooks? Purely gimmick IMO. If someone thinks they're cool then by all means knock yourself out. But they do not serve any realistic function or certainly don't offer a superior means of opening a game animal over a blade. I'm new at knife making but not at using knives.

Anyway, long too wordy about something so minor.

Obviously my words you found offensive and for that I apologize. It was not my intent to belittle anyone nor sound so condescending. I suspect had we had that conversation around a campfire, there would have been less misunderstanding. I will try to choose my words more carefully in the future.
Greg

PS. Post a photo of that knife when you get it finished!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-17-2016, 12:19 PM

No worries Greg.

As a moderator, I just want to keep the conversations positive and productive--to foster creativity and community. Perhaps I was too abrasive in my response. I am sorry. I too suffer from being misunderstood in my writing. Please take no offense.

Beauty and aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. There are many knife types and features on knives that don't suit my tastes, but I try to be respectful of the art and all of the forms it can take (I fail sometimes). For example..., I have no idea why people are so taken with Randalls, but it's cool that they are.

Id just hate to think that a new maker reading this had a great idea for a knife with a gut-hook, and then felt stupid for considering it. That would be a shame, but that kind of thing happens in hobby forums. It's a sort of unintended peer pressure. I left an aircraft building forum for a similar reason.

No hard feelings brother!

BTW, I love stabilized wood! But, I think I read the same post about 'plasticized' woods as you.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 08-17-2016, 12:25 PM

Greg,

On serrations:
I put serrations on my steak knives because it allows for cutting edges which are protected from the ceramic plate surface (which can dull a knife quickly). The points getting dull doesn't harm the cutting ability and the concave serrations offer multiple angles to cut as the blade is drawn or sawn through meat.

Mine (CPM154) stay sharp for many, many months. I haven't sharpened them in about a year now.

www.kansasknives.org

Tags
back, beginning, blade, blades, conversion, degrees, fire, hand, handle, heat, heat treat, hot, hunting, japan, kit, kit knife, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, outdoor, welding