MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Skilled

Real world field test

One of my knives was just put through a real world field test by someone other than myself. My boss told me that he used the kitchen knife gave him to install some new pickets for his fence. He first attempted to saw through the wood with the knife, when that didn't work he started stabbing at the wood and then twisting it out. That wasn't working quick enough for him so he then got a saw....My boss is rather smart, however common sense eludes him quite often. So after chopping, cutting, and stabbing, with a thin bladed razor sharp kitchen knife the only issues were a dulled edge and a very slight bend in the tip. seems like it would hold up very well if it was used for its original intent.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yup, sounds like you did it about right. Next, he'll put it in a dishwasher and ruin it. You can make a blade tough but you can't make it idiot proof ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Steel Addict

Naw, they just come up with a better idiot.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
One of my knives was just put through a real world field test by someone other than myself. My boss told me that he used the kitchen knife gave him to install some new pickets for his fence. He first attempted to saw through the wood with the knife, when that didn't work he started stabbing at the wood and then twisting it out. That wasn't working quick enough for him so he then got a saw....My boss is rather smart, however common sense eludes him quite often. So after chopping, cutting, and stabbing, with a thin bladed razor sharp kitchen knife the only issues were a dulled edge and a very slight bend in the tip. seems like it would hold up very well if it was used for its original intent.
I would not be happy if one of my points bent.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Skilled

The blade was 1/8" thick and 7" long. It was designed to be a thin sharp kitchen knife. Being that the slight bend in the tip was from repeated stabs, twists, and bends in and out of a piece of lumber should I consider this a win or a lose for the knife?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Personally, I'd consider it a win. It would also probably be a win if the tip had snapped - it all depends on what you wanted to accomplish.

In a kitchen knife you could decide to get the steel very hard so that it would hold an edge for a very long time. Such a knife should not be subjected to the abuse yours was but, if it was, the tip would likely snap off.

Or, you could say that even though you know it's not a good idea someone might use your knife to pry the lid off a big can of Crisco and a bent tip would be better than a broken tip. Such a knife would sharpen easily (good for most average users) but would need to be sharpened more often (common among normal kitchen knives).

So, it tells you what it tells you about the HT you actually got. Now you decide if that's how you wanted it and, if not, correct it on the next one ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Skilled

I have the knife in hand and must say he grossly exaggerated the damage to the knife. It dulled just enough to not easily shave hair but, no rolled or chipped edges. However, he did use it like a pry bar and it now has a slight curve. I should have it back to new and shaving hair in minutes. Still got to say he aint so bright.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Skilled

A blade that will take a set bend from the treatment it was given, is a tad too soft in the spine if no where else. It sounds like the edge was OK, but to take a set bend is not really good. Depends some on how much of a pry he did. In any case, I would never give him another.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Skilled

I think he used the knife to pry off the original board.

With as much abuse as he put it through i am thrilled it looks as good as it does.

Tags
abs, back, blade, common, edge, hand, kitchen knife, knife, knives, make, quenched, razor sharp, sharp, steel, temper, wood