MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, Carl, I am enjoying this thread. Lots of good stuff, as you say. To wit, what quenchant would you recommend? Or, perhaps there's a thread devoted to the topic of different quenchants for the different steels? Hmmm, I guess I should perform a search...
Old 07-27-2017, 08:52 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post

But then again I was the guy that found this forum and said "hey guys want to make a knife and oh yeh want to make my own Damascus for it "

That thread was like 900 pages long and went on for 3 years. Lol! We ALL learned a lot, well, those of us who waded through all 1100 pages of it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

Great first knife for sure!! Keep at it. Lee

Old 07-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Guru

Haha...Goater I see you haven't forgot about that thread. Some one should turn it into a book or.....maytbe a encyclopedia would be a better name for it. LOL But Really every question that I couldn't envision a good answer in my head I asked. And every one (especially Ray) but every one really did a great job with putting up with my stubbornness and nonsense. And I credit that to me learning so much in a short period of time even when my stuborness made me learn the hard way. But I was just saying to another maker new to the forum that its amazing looking back how far I have come and seeing the progression in my knives. A lot of that is because of every one's willingness to help...
Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Skilled

Quote:
... And I credit that to me learning so much in a short period of time
...its amazing looking back how far I have come and seeing the progression in my knives. A lot of that is because of every one's willingness to help...
^That is an understatement. I was blown away by the KITH knife you did and according to Jim, your HT is tops. Yes, indeed. I am amazed at how quickly you've progressed.
I'd say you've found your calling.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 07-28-2017, 05:10 AM
Guru

Goater....Thank You it means a lot coming from you...you gave me a lot of tips along the way too. and your kith knife was also top notch I said this in another thread but I think as far as design of a "bird and trout" knife you absolutely nailed it!...Ya know I hope this could be my calling I say this all the time but I think the best piece of advice my father ever gave me was "find something you LOVE to do and then find a way to get PAID for doing it and you will have a happy life" for him it was cars. for me its deffinitly knives. I am just starting to kinda pick up in sales to where if things pick up a little more it might be able to work as a full time carreer. But I will say the last couple months has been a lot of work between my own fixed blades also trying to nail down the last couple things with flipper folders . I have also been collaborating with a friend and now I just got a press to make Damascus talk about going in many directions LOL a lot of work for sure but hey I enjoy it...
Old 07-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Goater....Thank You it means a lot coming from you...you gave me a lot of tips along the way too. and your kith knife was also top notch I said this in another thread but I think as far as design of a "bird and trout" knife you absolutely nailed it!...Ya know I hope this could be my calling I say this all the time but I think the best piece of advice my father ever gave me was "find something you LOVE to do and then find a way to get PAID for doing it and you will have a happy life" for him it was cars. for me its deffinitly knives. I am just starting to kinda pick up in sales to where if things pick up a little more it might be able to work as a full time carreer. But I will say the last couple months has been a lot of work between my own fixed blades also trying to nail down the last couple things with flipper folders . I have also been collaborating with a friend and now I just got a press to make Damascus talk about going in many directions LOL a lot of work for sure but hey I enjoy it...
Thanks for the kind words.

Yep, when you find what the Creator wired you up to do, and you make a living at it, going to work is easy. The flippers/folders are mysteries to me and will probably stay that way for a while. I do carry a flipper, fairly inexpensive as I'm bad to lose them, but I really have no desire at this time to build them. I've always been attracted to fixed blades.
Currently I'm having fun experimenting with forging and have an interest in forging some tomahawks. I've forged a few but yet to quite get where I want to be.
I also want to make some San Mai, which is probably about as far as I can go with lamination considering my power hammer. No damascus for now as my power hammer is limited in capacity. (My arm)

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 AM

My go-to is Parks 50 on all of the higher carbon steels like O-1, 52100, W2, 1095, etc. You should have no problem locating a lot of info on "why" here. May be a bit buried but worth the digging.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-31-2017, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast

Yup - I had come across a thread that discussed this along with the speeds required for a few of the steels, and why Parks was a good choice. Of course, the issue now is trying to find out where to buy it...

Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Guru

as far as I know "parks 50" is not made any more well it is just a different name. The link below is maxim oil I think the sell it as maxim #50. I assume they took control of the product and slapped their name on it. I didn't see that on ther list tho so they may have changed the name but check out the link and send them a email and tell them you want the product that used to be called parks 50

http://www.maximoil.com/products.htm
Old 07-31-2017, 12:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If that doesn't work out check with Brownell's and get some Tough Quench ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
52100, 52100 steel, blade, chef knife, chef's, chef's knife, damascus, finish, first knife, forge, gallery, grinding, hammer, handle, heat, heat treat, kit, knife, knives, polish, steel, tang, tapered tang, temper, vise