MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Steel Addict

Restored Patton Saber

It has taken me over forty years to do this!
While working as a set designer in one of my first theaters, I liberated this poor thing from a life of abuse at the hands of my fellow actors. For decades it had been a theatrical prop, and was thickly coated with many layers of paint, though physically sound.
Last week, I finally set to work on it. Stripped off all the paint, and found that some fiendish prop master had sanded off the browning on the basket hilt. The nickle-plated garrison scabbard was still in remarkably good shape: the chrome had lifted a bit at the mouth and drag, and there were a few minor dents. The blade itself was tarnished and nicked, but I didn't do anything to it other than removing rust and oiling it. I spent two days browning the hilt, then giving it a VERY hot beeswax finish. It's now almost black, just a shade lighter than the hard rubber grips.
This hundred-year-old beauty is going with me to the next AKCA knife show in Phoenix this coming January.
What think ye, brethren?

Tags
bee, blade, knife, paint