MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

Randall Model 5-6 Angier Setup

OK, this might be my perfect Randall user. I?ve been waiting for this one for 2 years and she finally arrived yesterday.
An Angier's setup Model 5-6, i.e., with stainless blade, NS hilt, black Micarta handle with compass in butt, and wrist thong.
She?s a real beaut, and I think she makes it to the top of the ?user? list?just *perfect* for me, for what I normally need from a knife. I?m not a big hunter though I do try to go out once a year or so (but even then, happily leave the skinning to anyone else who?d rather do it), but I am an avid outdoorsman and love spending time on the water. Up to now, I?ve been using a #10-5 on the boat (and really love that knife too?a great value/ knife), but I?ll be upgrading to this #5-6 as my boat knife now, and as my all-around user.
What a slick knife.
Gary

Model 5-6 Angier?s setup.

Last edited by escapement; 04-27-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

I like it. It's a beauty. Nice clean lines!!

Old 04-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Registered

Would you concider having the handle chequered? The knife will be even slicker when wet...dangerously so in my opinion.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

What's the best handle material/ config choice for water?

Hi Gamble,
I don?t think I?d like checkering much, though you're probably right that the handle might become slippery when wet?but not any more, really, that most other handle materials (or configurations, for that matter). Personally, I just don?t like the look of checkering.
My #10-5 is Micarta too, but it does have the one finger notch, which may help a bit, but it works well when wet, as well as can be expected, I suppose. (Actually, if you twist my arm, I?ll probably tell you that the #10-5 is a perfect boat knife and there just isn't a need for anything else, but this #5-6 is a bit prettier so I will give her a try).
But with this handle shape, the way it?s tapered, I think that too, makes for a safer hold. And I?ve noticed that Micarta (at least on my #10) gets a bit tacky when wet?i.e., it doesn?t become *very* slippery. (But I guess that depends on just how wet and other circumstances).
There is the wrist thong?that helps when the knife slips from the hand.
But I can't really think of a much better setup for water. Even Micarta with finger grips will get slippery too. Leather gets slippery when wet, right? Stag or ivory?probably worse choices? Rosewood?

What do you think would be the very best material/ handle choice for water?
Thanks, Gary
Old 04-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Gary,

My guess would be rubber or textured G-10. Both are excellent when wet. As for a Randall, Micarta is the best choice. Personally, I don't find it to be that slippery.

Best,
Tom

PS - Good lookin' knife you got there! You're not going to actually use it are you?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Registered

I tend to agree the chequering doesnt look as good as a smooth surface. But I would still do it on a micarta user. Any handle will be easy to hold onto if your fresh, but when you get tired chequering could mean the difference between your holding onto the knife and having it slip into the "endless blue wine". Wrist thongs scare me, because for instance if you slip and fall on deck in the rain your probably going to let go of the knife so you can break your fall, Ide rather have the knife go overboard than into my forearm or through my hand.

True when you drop it by accident having it attached to you makes sense, but if you drop it on purpose chances are you want it to fall at a safe distance.

Remember "Iron" Mike Tysons enduring quote "Everybody has a plan until they get hit."

I dont do much boating but I guess the reason I would choose the 5-6 over the 10 is because you may need to chop something quick, and the feathery 10 would be useless. I cant think of anything the 10 could do that the 5 couldnt.

I carry a 5-6 with stacked leather and a brass crowsbeak, use it all the time, it handles great in any weather condition, and actually gets very grippy when wet, but now that I think about it leather can get slimy/slippery when it gets really really wet. The crows beak makes a nice stop if Im chopping small brush, and has prevented the knife from catching air when Ive chopped a lot and my grip has weakened.

Just imagine a worst case scenario...something like; your foot is trapped in some rigging and the boom is headed for your face. Which knife would you rather have to cut yourself free. Forgive my indulgences, as I said Im not much of a boater so I have no idea if that scenario is even plausible.

Tags
blade, knife