MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Enthusiast

anybody know what a Wilkinson anvil's worth?

I have a chance to buy this old anvil. I know it is old and it says Wilkinson on the one side and on the other side is 0 3 0 It's 18 1/2 inches long 9 inches tall and the top is 3 1/2 inches wide. The top looks good to me. Not all pitted or chipped. Wondered what it is worth or if I should keep looking for a better one. I hit it with a hammer and it rebounds better than a piece of railroad iron I have. About all I can think of about the details. Didn't know if it's to small or will this size work out good?
Thanks for any advice!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 04:08 AM
Master

I'm not familier with wilkinson brand, but it sounds like it's a decient anvil and not cast iron. The way the markings are it seems like it's marked in hundredweights, which is I remember right makes it 36 pounds. It's probably better then your rail, but not big enough to be optimal, which is roughly around 100# or more, a little less isn't too bad either.

Whether it's worth it to you to upgrade now with a plan to upgrade again, or if you'd rather just save now for a bigger one, is something I can't answer for you. If you plan on doing demos or having a traveling rig then it might be a good idea though.

Anvil prices are funny... if an antique collector hears about it it's worth a stupid amount of money, but for those of us who actually use them as the tools they were meant to be, $1-$3 a pound is about right, preferably $2 or less. So I probably wouldn't pay more then $75 (just to make it a rounder number then 72) unless I was desperate for an anvil.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I believe that would be 84 pounds. Certainly, you can tell the difference if you lift it between 36 and 84 pounds. I agree with AwP on the price , if you can get it for $75 that wouldn't be bad. It is a bit light weight but a huge anvil isn't really necessary .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

I agree that the markings are probably the old English style of marking anvil weights. I also agree with Ray that it is probably an 84 pounder.
  • With this system the first number represented the number of hundred weights. A hundred weight is 112 pounds.
  • The second number represented the number of quarter (1/4) hundred weights, which is 28 pounds.
  • The third number represented the number of single pounds

( 0 * 112 ) + ( 3 * 28 ) + ( 0 * 1 ) = 84

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 03-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Anvil Trivia

Anvil Trivia

I have a 209 pound Wilkinson and like it. The trivia site above sez it was made in dudley England.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 03-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Master

My mistake, I was thinking the second digit was in 12 pound incriments. 84 pounds actually isn't bad at all, I'd probably be willing to pay as much as $160ish for it if it was me.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information. Very interesting. If I can get it reasonabe I think I will start there and if it don't work out I will keep looking for a bigger one. And I should still be able to get my money back out of it if I sell it. Kind of a no brainer. Just wanted to hear that it wasn't a piece of junk.

Thanks again all !!!!