MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 11-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Skilled

Mosaic damascus & ivory bowie by Ed Caffrey, MS

Ed Caffrey is a maker whose knives I have long admired. One of the primary attractions to his work is the fact that he has accomplished something that eludes many: his knives have a very distinctive style. Many a time have I seen knives ranging from elaborately decorated folders, to presentation grade bowies, to simple, functional hunters and said to myself ?that?s a Caffrey? without needing to refer to the maker?s mark. I recently had the opportunity to add one of his terrific bowies to my collection. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

This knife features a mosaic damascus blade that is just a shade under 9 inches, with an overall length just under 14 inches. The handle is a beautiful piece of fossil walrus ivory, showing a range of colours from cream, to caramel to chocolate brown ? almost good enough to eat!

The elegant S-guard features heat-blued and textured mild steel, with the half-pennies forged-in. The file-worked butt cap matches the colour and texture of the guard. If you look closely at the first picture, you will see that the frog button on the first-rate scabbard is also heat-blued and textured to match the fittings of the knife itself. So often it is the little thoughtful touches like this that set a knife apart.

The blade itself deserves a closer look. It is forged from a blend 1084 and 15N20 steels, combining between 9 and 12 bars to produce a fascinating checkerboard mosaic. Each ?window? shows one of a variety of swirls, whorls, rolls, starbursts and stripes in a repeating pattern. Here is a closer look:

Ed describes this knife as a fighter / bowie and it certainly resides comfortably in either camp. The knife has a quick and responsive feel in the hand that befits the fighter designation, but also conveys a sense a strength and solidity (and sufficient blade width) that puts it right at home with my bowies as well. The knife features a true through-tang construction, with the end of the tang threaded through a small nut on the end of the butt cap.

I?ll wrap up by saying that I could not be more pleased with this knife and scabbard. Everything about it ? from the flowing design to the complex mosaic blade, to the first rate materials and flawless fit and finish make this piece a real joy to have and hold. Here?s one more pic ? this one by the maker:

Cheers,

Roger
Old 11-01-2004, 08:33 AM

Nice! Great presentation of an exceptional knife, Roger! Kudos to Ed as well! BT

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 11-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Absolutely stunning!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 11-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Very, Very nice! Congrats Roger. Nice presentation.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Master

Se comprueba que unas buenas manos , han realizado un buen cuchillo . Trabajo notable .

Montejano

--------------

He/she is proven that some good hands, they have carried out a good knife. I work notable.

Montejano
Old 11-02-2004, 12:55 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to JeridJohnson
Thanks for sharing.. Congratulations to the both of you. It is a beautiful piece.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Skilled

Thanks very much for the comments guys!

Roger

Tags
blade, knife, knives