MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:14 AM

Mosiac pins

Gentlemen,

A couple of quick questions about mosiac pins if you can help me please,

1. I have a GPC1000 and I plan to put spacers and mosiac pins in...1/4 mosiac pin inch in each scale and .030 spacer. Should I drill the 1/4 inch hole then glue the spacer and epoxy the pin to the scale and spacer or drill through the spacer once it is attached to the scale and epoxy it to the liner? Ihave the 1/72 screws for the extra length.

2. Do I still need to peen the pin or just rought the sides up with 120 grit and epoxy it into the hole?

3. I have a couple of fixed blade kits coming too SG4 and Gentlemens Skinner (yes, I have the bug!) and I plan to use mosiac pins for the handles. Do I need to peen these or just sand the sides and epoxy. I am worried that if I peen that I might crack the epoxy in the mosiac pins.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers,

Marc
Brisbane, Australia
Old 02-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Skilled

Mark , Sounds like your hooked , lol . Good Questions . On folders the mosaic pin is purely asthetic ,well the more epoxied points the better, but sometimes its hard to cut such a thin slice of pin so I will put it through the liner as well , and just epoxy , dont try to pein. On fixed blade knives they may be the only pin's in the handle , so I take a file and make "grooves" in the middle of the pin to help the epoxie "hold" the pin in place. Same as before , dont pein, just sand smooth and shine.if your using a power sander be carefull not to get the pin too hot.
Need anything else , please ask. We want to see pictures when your done too.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:34 PM

I have not done it to offer what is perfectly suited. If I was to do it, I would drill the hole in the scale, and epoxy the pin into it with a little bit of overhang on both sides. Then I would sand/file it flush on the backside and then glue the spacer onto the now-flush surface. Finish the display side similar. The scale, spacer, and pin can be removed.

I would never endorse epoxying anything to the liners, on one of these GPC100's. that would prevent future disassembly, and with the moving parts *someday* it will need fixing....

Dwane's advice on the fixed blade is right on.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Thank you Dwane and Coop,

I appreciate your hard learned advice. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Cheers, Marc

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives