MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:09 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to jace11229 Send a message via Yahoo to jace11229
new guy, tons of ?'s, FL-001/007

Hey folks. I've never built a knife before, and I liked the idea of a beginner's kit. What I'd like to know is if they can be converted to automatic fairly easily? If not, why? If so, how? Should I upgrade the washers or anything else in any case? Finally (I think), if they shouldn't be converted, is the 001 any better or worse than the 007? The reason I ask is that the 001 has thumstuds and the tanto blade only has a thumb hole. If I can't have an auto, I'd at least like a good one hander. I think that's all. My name's Jason or Jace, and I'd really appreciate any help you can give. I'f I'm totally barking up the wrong tree, please send me in the right direction so I can ask a bunch of new questions. Thanks in advance, Jason
Old 12-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Skilled

Hi Jason, welcome to the knifkits forum! You're definately in the right place if you want to learn. There's also some new classes starting in January so check that forum out too. It's going to be taught by Don Robinson, an awesome folder builder and super nice man (sweet wife too).

I can't help you too much with the FL knives since I haven't seen one but for a total beginner it will be easy to build. Converting it to an auto would be very complicated. The back of the blade is not shaped right and there's other parts needed. As far as the auto thing goes, be sure it's legal where you live before you carry it. There was a good thread a few down from here that discussed that very issue. Now, there is a super auto and that is the DDR3-BL. All you do is buy the knife and a spring and you've got a snappy knife. It'll almost jump out of your hands! It does take more work to finish but after you get the hang of the FL, go ahead and move up to some of the other more advanced kits. The BL is the only one that is ready made for a spring. For the FL, the washers provided will be fine. I use the phosphorous bronze washers for all my kits. Both the FL 001 and 007 are "one handers". My preference is the thumb stud.

Show us your completed knife when you finish.

Again welcome.

Bill
Old 12-10-2005, 09:47 AM

H Jace, and welcome. What Bill said. The FL series are great for a start and can be very gratifying. Only as a manual opener, though.

If you are hedging on an auto conversion, then there is ONLY one game in town. The DDR3-BL by KnifeKits.com

Keep us posted!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 12-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Bill, Coop,
Thanks for the quick reply. Should either of you need any electrical guidance, I'm your guy. While dissapointed, I think I'll go through with the FL-007. I can't resist a tanto blade for work etc..
I hope you guys have a lot of paitience, as I've got a lot of time these days, and I need to know everything.
Happy Holidays and I hope all is well,
Jace
Old 12-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Jason:

Where do you live in Florida? I'm in Gainesville.

The DDR3-BL automatic was my first knife. A lot of fun to build and lots of options to finish it. The spring can be put in blindfolded.

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com
Old 12-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Steve, I'm in NJ. Thanks for the info tho.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Guru

Jason,

I have bought quite a few of these to give to my neices and nephews to get them a taste of making a kit. These are simple, and with help a kid can have it looking like the pictures in under 30 minutes. Plenty of room to practice embelishment, etc on also.

I agree with the others on making these into auto's, it would be very hard to do, it would probably be easier to make your own auto from scratch.

I wanted to make sure you realized the FL-007 is a chisel ground blade (only on in the line). It is on the site, but has suprised others. It sounds like your an electrician, for what I used my knife for when I was an electrician, this kit would have worked well. The chisel grind is actually a nice grind for stripping wires, and the point on this one would do good for starting the Romex.

I currently have a pair of these on the visors in my truck as emergency knives. They are inexpensive enough, and built well enough that I know they are there, and don't have to worry about them being stolen.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 12-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Jason:

FYI

I was a detective in NJ for 20 years. God help you if you are caught by the law there with an automatic knife. Not even a NJ Permit To Carry A Handgun will help you.

If you are a cop you will be OK.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Steve,
Thanks again for the heads up. I surely don't need any grief.
Jason
Old 12-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Jason:

NJ is awful when it comes to weapons or guns. I even know of a Sussex County man that lost his gun collection and went to jail for possesing a marlin semi automatic .22 rifle. It was semi automatic and could hold over 15 rounds with .22 shorts in it. That fit NJ description of an illegal assault rifle. The NRA did nothing to help the poor guy. He will never be able to own a gun again, either.

Have fun with the DDR3-BL and don't tell a soul you have it. It's a nice knife.

NJ.....*!#*__!*

Tags
blade, knife, knives, switchblade