MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Steel Addict

Smile Work Bench questions.

I am currently in the process of assembling a new workbench area in the basement of my house and was curious as to what i should be using as a work bench top. I am looking at using a piece of 1" particle board as the main working surface with some industrial carpet tiles on one end to serve as a softer working finish surface. What i am trying to figure out is if their is a better option for the same rough price or not. Also trying to find some quality needle files and was wondering if you guys had any advice or preference on brand. Any advice or direction would be greatly helpful.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Hall of Famer

What will the workbench be used for? If just assembly and light work, then I would actually look at OSB rather than particle board. If doing anything heavy, or mounting a vice or other heavy equipment, then I would look at 3/4 inch plywood. Anything made from particle board or chip stock and there's the potential for some sagging, not to mention the problems you'll have if it ever gets wet.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Skilled

I've built several work benches (I usually leave them behind when I move because they're too heavy!) and I seem to revert to the same design each time: 4x4 legs, 2x6 top and bottom frame with a 2x6 or 2x4 top, all bolted together with lag bolts. I put on a 2x6 as a "backsplash" to keep things from rolling off the rear and down behind the bench. I top the bench with a sheet of 3/4 inch k-3 or other particle board and tack it down with a few nails. I pry it up and turn it over when it gets badly marked up, and replace the whole thing when it starts to show too many "wounds". A cheap way to keep your work top clean, even and level. I mount the vise right over top of one of the legs so I can bang on it with little vibration. A sheet of 1/2 inch plywood over the bottom frame makes for a good undershelf. I can build one in about two hours. Not pretty, but pretty skookum... One thing to remember it the height of it. depending on your stature, and whether or not you prefer to sit at your bench (I don't), you may want to opt for higher than standard table height. Much easier on the old back! Mine is (I think) about 40 inches tall. I have also wired it into the electrical of my shop so I have outlets on either end, a desk lamp mounted to the backsplash, and half of it is clad in steel to allow me to do some welding near the vise as well. It sort of "evolves" over time...

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com

Last edited by ckluftinger; 12-03-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Steel Addict

Thank you guys for the ideas. I actually just scored a bunch of redwood from a contractor friend of mine for super cheap so the frame will be made from that. I really like the putting outlets on either end to give it some more versatility. The height for me I figured is going to be right around 42 I'm a slightly taller guy At 6'4. I will try to remember to post some picks when I get it done. I'm going to have find a good vise as that's the one thing I don't have laying around. Again thanks for the ideas definately helps.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Skilled

Hempish, redwood is very soft, so don't skimp on the sizing! you may consider using carriage bolts instead of lag bolts because soft woods tend to tear out (I actually switched to carriage bolts with heavy washers for that reason). i measured my bench after last night's post, and it's 38 inches tall. At 6'4'' I think 42 will be a good height for you. The reason I put the outlets at either end is two-fold: one, it allows me to plug in a power tool at either end without having to strain the cord (my bench is six feet), and second, I hate having outlets on the wall behind the bench - too much danger of getting a power cord in the way and accidentally cutting / drilling/ grinding into it. I'm bad that way...
Good luck!

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Steel Addict

Was leaning towards 4x4 legs with a 2x6 main frame and top then sheeting the top with Masonite or something similar. Was also thinking of carriage bolts instead of lag bolts. And by doing it out of red wood I not only get a conversation piece i won't have to worry about it rotting ever. Again thanks for the advice it's a huge helP.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Master

Jantz is where I go for needle files. You can buy them individually and in both coarse and fine. They are very nice files too.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you for the idea on the files will have to look at those. Was trying to keep business local and all but the selection kinda limited
Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 AM

I just built my first bench, but i used nails. Should I switch to bolts or screws and if so why??
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Steel Addict

I would try a jewelry supply house for needle files.

http://www.riogrande.com

http://www.stuller.com

...Teddy
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Steel Addict

Now that your bench is done I wouldn't worry about it but maybe over time work on switching them out for at least screws the main reason being as the would adjust to the humidity and wear and year of daily use the. Ails may work their way out of he wood loosening everything up and giving you a wobbling bench. Thanks for the heads up on the needle files goldsmiths.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Steel Addict

Wear and tear not year.

Tags
advice, brand, build, design, files, grinding, made, mount, post, supply, surface, vise, wood, woods