MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

Newb Question

I want to get a bandsaw to cut out blades with a bit more precision. I can't seem to cut straight with a hacksaw and spend too much time grinding off excess metal that I could use for smaller blades. When I search for a metal cutting bandsaw I can only find horizontal machines, which doesn?t seem to fit. Wood bandsaws seem to fit better, but well? are for wood. Am I missing something here? Are their metal blades I can put on a wood bandsaw to cut out blades?

Any help and direction will be appreciated. I am just confused here.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Hall of Famer

No, metal blades on a wood band saw will not work. At least not without some major modifications. Wood band saws are about 10 times too fast to cut metal with and their guides are different.

You can get upright adapters that will convert hand held metal band saws for upright usage and many of those horizontal machines also have an upright capability.

Doug

Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 AM

The port-a-band bandsaw is very versatile for this kind of work. I believe that is what Doug is refering to with the handhelds. Use the search button and you should be able to find several threads on making permanent stands for these solid little machines. You can get a cheapy from Harbor Freight, some will last some won't. If you plan on using it a lot then get a Porter-Cable, Milwalkee or the like. They will cut the profiles out neat and clean with a bit of practice. Much smaller footprint than the horizontal floor models. He's also correct about the wood bandsaws.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Several of us buy the horizontal bandsaws and cut the table off of them, then mount the saw vertically on a home built table. Mine has been working fine that way for about 15 years . The cost is similar to the porta band type saws but it is a larger saw and more durable than some of the cheaper portable units. They also use longer blades which helps the blade last longer ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. That really clears it up for me, and gives me some direction. Now, I just need to do a little research and find a solution that fits my budget.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Steel Addict

I have been looking for the same thing recently. I found a source for a variable speed (0 to 400 fpm), Milwaulkee portable metal saw (corded) for $220 from one of my refrigeration suppliers. I know they aren't marking it up too much as it is a personal purchase, but I thought that was quite reasonable for the number of years I could use it. The cheapest ones I have found are about $90. I have also seen that Makita makes a vertical stand for their portable bandsaws. I'm sure other manufacturers do the same thing.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The problem with variable speed of that type is that it only works on small motors, usually 1/2 or 1/3 hp. Then, when you run them at reduced speed you also have reduced torque - not the ideal situation when trying to cut metal. For that amount of money you could buy a more robust 1 hp 4"x7" horizontal/vertical saw which can more easily handle larger sheets of metal and, as stated earlier, can be cut down if space is a major issue. We don't cut just narrow bars you know, for some metals you may buy a 6" wide sheet or plate (mostly kitchen knives but you never know what good deals you may stumble across on metal)....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 AM

Trade offs either way. Portable is good and higher torque is good. I do like being able to toss mine in the back of the truck when I need it elsewhere and I have limited space in my indoor shop both floor and wall, but have seen occasion that a horizontal would have been nice. I've just learned to be creative and adaptive with my portable.
If you go portable and have a choice, get the deep throated model if you can and don't buy the cheapest blades.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
arrow, back, bee, grinding, hand, handle, home, knives, mount, wood