MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Hall of Famer

You would not be the first person who started out forging in an apartment setting but it would have a higher chance of success if you had the ability of getting farther away from the building than the deck outside your unit. I started out in a townhouse but it had a very deep yard and I also primarily worked second shift which allowed me to do a lot of work when my neighbors were gone. I left my forge covered up on a bench but I put my anvil in the shed after I finished working. That means having to have a smaller, less efficient anvil unless your like my ol' buddy Stack who probably wouldn't have much problem picking up a 150 lb anvil.

Still, depending on your exact set-up, stock removal might be your best bet for now. Many people in your situation have to settle with assembling knives from finished blades.

Doug

Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Steel Addict

What kind of bench are you using?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmith111 View Post
What kind of bench are you using?
A small one. I am in the same spot. I am going to make a light weight plastic covered temporary wall. I have a small piece of cement out the back door I plan to use that area for grinding and sanding. I plan to put those tools on wheels like the moby grinder. Here is a light weight grinder that would be very portable. If u don't have one this one u can pay as u build. http://http://www.wilmontgrinders.co...LBGrinder.aspx

then I bought a porta saw I plan to mount it vertical and put it on wheels can't beat the price
http:http://www.harborfreight.com/po...w-47840.html//
The main goal is to limit the dust from going into the other areas. It is not that easy but can be better then nothing. HT and forging would be the big one. Sleep on the sofa and convert your bedroom.

Tags
advice, anvil, back, bee, blade, build, design, drill, files, folding, forge, hand, handle, hobby, knife, made, make, making, mount, plastic, press, steel, stock removal, tools, vise