MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Newbie question

Hey, I'm Josh. Im New to knife making and at the point where I would like to get a bandsaw and build a grinder. I was thinking on getting the wheels for the belt grinder made by a machinist. Dose anyone know what type of steel would be a good choice? I was thinking 308 stainless. I'm not sure if it's worth the headache but I've tried about 10 places in Ottawa and no has them. I would get them from beaumount but I don't think they ship to Canada. I've also tried Canadian knife making supply but unless I've missed something (very possible) or they don't have what I'm looking for in idler pulleys. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Aluminum.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Did you give USA Knife Makers Supply a look. If they don't have everything needed to build a grinder, it's just simple stuff that you can get in any hardware store. I don't know, however, if they ship to Canada but it won't hurt to check.

Doug

Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Master

I think USA Knife Makers Supply does ship to Canada. They have shipped to me over in Asia so I bet they are willing to send north as well. They are who I got my wheels from...good people to deal with.

As Don said aluminum is generally the way to go. I have all aluminum wheels except one got damaged so I machined a new one out of steel (low carbon steel). It does work but it retains a lot more heat. After 30mins of grinding it is too hot to touch...the aluminum ones are fine. This will probably shorten my bearing life. The smaller the bearings, the more this would become a problem.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:31 AM

Wow, that's a big site. I can't believe I've never seen it before. Thanks for the help guys. I'll get a quote from the machinist and compare it to usknifemaker. If it's close I'll get them off the net.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Steel Addict

+1 for usaknifemaker.com
Their service is awesome.
I doubt that you will find a machine shop to produce or or two wheels for what usaknifemaker sells them for. The material alone will cost half the price of just buying the wheels, then you have to add $75-$100 per hour for labor.

As for the bandsaw, personally I like my portaband. I made a mount to use it vertically.
For the price I think this mount made by SWAG is a great deal

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V20-...able_p_56.html

Brett
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome!

IIRC, the aluminum wheels that USAKnifemaker sells are from Beaumont and are the same that are used on the KMG.

Nathan
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Good to know guys, thanks. I Based my plans.........ideas on the kmg, so I'll take that as a sign lol. Thanks for the input everyone. Usa knifemaker is a great site and I'm ordering some 1080 from them tomorrow, it's the best price I've found. I really like how everyone is so helpful on the knife network. One would be surprised how rare it is to find this much help and not get a totally outrageous bill at the end lol. The best things in life are free. (accept my wife bahahhaha)

Tags
awesome, bearing, build, grinding, hardware, hot, knife, knife making, knifemaker, made, making, material, mount, newbie, simple, steel, store, supply