MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 07-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Guru

4th of July!

The fourth is always the biggest holiday my family celebrates.

First off, to all the men and women of the armed forces both past and present, THANK YOU from my family and myself. I'm the first generation in my family not to be in the military and not have served in a war (none of the branches wanted me..something about asthma and missing ligaments they don't like). When I read some of the stories here and on other forums by soldiers, and talk to some in person, it makes me #### proud of our military! Y'all kick ass!

Last Sunday I had "my" 4th party (each year I get to have a party, then we go do the family oriented stuff on the actual 4th). Lots of fireworks....big fireworks. I splurged this year and got the 3 and 4" mortar rounds. After some brisket and beer, we rolled out a buddy's civil war mountain rifle cannon (2.25" bore) followed by one of my smaller medieval ones ( 1.1" bore). I didn't think the kids were going to like the noise, but our 2 yr old was quite excited every time the big cannon went off. He'd jump around and start yelling "more guns daddy...more guns!". I have some great video and such of the blasts. The best one is the shot after dark. If I can figure out the video software, I'll post some freeze-frame shots of the cannons going off. We excecuted a big 30" ceramic Tigger, firing about 2 lbs of BB's loaded into an old asprin bottle at him and fired using a 1/2 lb charge of FF powder. (He was caught consorting with a pooh bear and comitting lude acts with a piglet.) I'm sure I'll here about this from the school district when the "what did you do this summer?" essays are written!

Happy 4th of July!

Thanks,
Don & Family
Proud Americans

Old 07-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

In most states, neighbors would probably worry living next to Don. But in this part of Texas, we figure it probably helps keep the riff-raff away!

Between Hollywood and the main stream media, it's hard to remember that there are lots of good folks out there celebrating Independence Day with a sincere appreciation of the freedoms we enjoy and with deep respect for the men and women of our Armed Forces who put their lives on the line to protect our country.

I hope y'all have a happy 4th of July!

Now I have to go out back and blow something up. (Can't let Don have ALL the fun!!)

Old 07-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Master

The Discovery launch has been successful ! What a nice way to celebrate July 4 th .
Old 07-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast

lol, shame ole tigger, couldn't have been bin ladin, but i guess Pres. Bush, has him hiding in a hole somewhere.
keep troops in prayers, everyone, holidays are hard on them and families.
God Bless You All,
pat hubbard
Old 07-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Steel Addict

Talking 4th of July

Happy 4th to everyone.

Thanks to all those serving their country. We can not say thanks enough!!!!

I had planned to spend the day forging, but I whimped out. I'm spending some time with my mother.

Hey mete!!! I saw the shuttle from my driveway. I have seen so many shuttles go up I don't even pay attention any more, but I stopped and watched this one. Wished you could have seen my view. Blue skys and white clouds, and not a breeze in sight.

I think the current temp is something like 85. Hey let not kid around here, it is hot out there. It's FL, it's always hot. But I have lived here all my life and I love it.

with thanks to all
happy 4th everyone
Raymond Johnson
Old 07-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Guru

here's some pics....the night shots are cool!

Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Guru

The pill bottle in the one pic was filled with BBs for a grape-shot effect...or a 4 ga shotgun, however you want to look at it.

I'll get the pics of Tigger up this evening!

Old 07-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

LOLAFOMA!! Great pics!

Your buddy has a way nicer cannon than you! I'd have driven up to see that one go off!!

I'll bet your feral chickens are half-way to Georgia by now!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Living Legend

Love the cannon.

My color guard was major busy this past 4th. We did two baseball games and a parade. Even had to turn down two other offers.

The second ball game, the night of the 4th, we did the opening ceremonies for a local AA team. What made this one great is that they had a special guest WWII vet who had been a POW and Bronze Star awardee. They had him telling his tail on the big screen in the park and had him throw out the first pitch. On top of that they had a singing group who dresses up as the Andrew Sisters. Love the Andrew Sisters They sang the National Anthem for the game.

Jim

Old 07-07-2006, 01:39 AM

Raymond,
My father lives in Melbourne. I was born there! Small world.

I hope everyone had a great Independence Day (It's a personal 'tick' of mine to avoid reducing this particular holiday to a mere date when we don't do that for any others. It's one of my favorite celebrations.)

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Steel Addict

Mr. Garret
I was born here too.
Glad to see you could escape!!
I'm still working my tunnel.
What's your dad do?
Melbourne still a small town even if they do cut down all the trees and build apartments.
Missing the old Melbourne Raymond Johnson
Old 07-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Guru

A better pic of the gonne:

Now onto poor Tigger....
The cannister shot broke up in the barrel of the mountain rifle. This resulted in more of a claymore mine effect, rather than a biggassed shotgun. As a result, Tigger lost his face and took about 50 hits to the left (his left) leg and waist.

The 1.1" gonne used a better grade plastic (old pill bottle). The idea was for this to come apart similar to a sabot round. It did the opposite of the mountain rifle. The whole cannister hit in-tact and left a 4" hole at the waist (good aim ). However, when it hit, it must have tumbled and sprayed the BBs out in a line (tumbling end over end). As a result, Tiggers spine was blown out as well as a large 4" exit wound of the pill bottle itself! Cool!

Old 07-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

A Classic! Truly a Classic!!

Tags
forging