MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 06-07-2002, 08:23 PM
RickNJ

COUNTERBORE QUESTION

I have a bunch of 1/4" and 5/16 loveless type fasteners and I need to buy counterbores. I saw these on ebay. cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...737438707. My question is: What size counterbores do I need and will these work for me? I emailed the seller and asked him what the pilot diameters are and all he said was "not sure"
Old 06-08-2002, 08:54 AM
Jason G Howell

Hey Rick, just take a measurement off the screw and nut. There are many sizes "Loveless" style fasteners out there, so there's no way to know from here. I bought a pilot drill years back, but now I just use 2 drill bits. First hole serves as a pilot, the hole for the screw end of the setup will center the next one. The other to make clearance for the bolt end of the setup. Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2002, 11:44 AM
RickNJ

Jason, thanks for that tip. I never even considered doing it that way. I will definitely give it a try!
Old 06-08-2002, 11:51 PM
Geno

Re: ..

First drill the pilot holes, Tape across the counter bore face to be drilled, use a sharp drill bit, higher RPM's, and gently drill to depth. This prevents fragments around the hole face from breaking out.

If you set the work table at the end of the spindle stroke, (using shims to set the gap between the table and drill tip),
you can get all the holes the same depth.
(Adjust table height as needed to control socket depth)
Make sure the drill is straight and centered in the pilot hole before drilling.You can check the alignment by spinning the drill backwards by hand until you get it centered right over the hole, then turn it on and drill.