MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-08-2002, 10:42 PM

GX6 in cocobolo...

...but with a little someting different. This is one I just finished up that includes the new backspine. This one was not meant to be decorated, so in order to 'break it up' a bit, I tried the heat coloring on the bolsters and the backspine with a small torch.

Characteristic bevels (just wait till you guys get into this! ), and my now-usual lock treatment (Kelly's idea). Also you'll notice on this and the carbon version my careful chamfering of the screw bores. On the bolsters it REALLY gives it a great finished look. All in all it has a lot of coloring and is SOLID with the backspine. I gave the edges of the spine just a touch of a chamfer to give it some distinction before I decided to color them. It looked too 'wide' before.

I'm getting familiar on these standard GX6's!!!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 11-08-2002, 11:54 PM
Steel Addict

Very sweet Jim, I do like the chamfering you've done on the screw holes and a great job on the heat coloring. Very even. all in all, another superior knife
Dan

Check out my custom pens!
Old 11-09-2002, 12:50 AM

Coop,

Great Job. The heat coloring looks real good. What did you do in the way of finish (grit) before heat coloring?

The chamfering is a real good idea. Something that I'll definately have to look into!

Thank for the great pics.

Bob Sigmon
Old 11-09-2002, 01:54 AM

whats the lock treatment?. do you have a pic of it?
Old 11-09-2002, 02:11 AM
Steel Addict

Beauty Jim

This one came out real good Coop! The chamfering looks good. I do the same thing when I " gypsy " set diamonds, it gives the holes a much more finished look and in my case it makes the diamonds look alittle bigger.
Again great job!

Vince :cool:

Old 11-09-2002, 06:50 AM
Steel Addict

So that's what my GX6 is going to look like after I get the cocobolo and the backspacer.

Yeah, what is this lock treatment?
Old 11-09-2002, 08:32 AM
Skilled

Very attractive, Coop. I like the way you dressed up the screw holes. The soft two-tone coloration of the metal adds nice visual interest.
With the slighter thicker liners of the GPC & GX, the detent ball doesn't need any relief on the frame/bolster side, but I think that continueing to provide a bit of relief on that side does result in slightly smoother operation.
To respond on the lock treatment question:
On some of the DDR's the detent ball protruded slightly on the outside of the spring, resulting in additional resistance when opening as a result of pressing against the bolster. Providing relief on that side eliminates that resistance and facilitates a nice, smooth action.

Last edited by Kelly Carlson; 11-09-2002 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:00 AM

Jim-

This is a very handsome knife! I agree that the heat coloring looks quite nice against the color of that cocobolo. That wood will always be one of my favorites...especially when "handled" so well

The chamfering plays well with the bevels,...makes for a very polished-looking knife. Super effect!

From the first moment the design was posted here, I always knew the GX6's would make great knives. I'm looking forward to handling one of these in person...hopefully this coming week I'll be able to dive in and seeing what I can do with one of these.

I've got some serious catching up to do...With two under your belt, you've got a heck of head start!

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

PS. I'm taking the plunge and getting a table at the upcoming Chesapeake Knife Show here in Baltimore, Dec. 8th. I'm counting on the GX6's to round out my selection of kit knives on my display. Talk about having to catch up!!!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 11-09-2002 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:22 AM
Steel Addict

Kelly, thanks for the clarification, I haven't noticed that problem with my first kit GX6. What I did have a problem with was getting my fat thumb into release the linerlock, so what I did is cut a scallop in the liner and bolster, something I've seen on other linerlocks.

Old 11-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

Most Excellent, Jim
The ideas that are inside your head are inspiring.
The choice of cocobolo and coloring the bolsters works great.
I like the chamfering you do to the perimiter of the knife, it gives it a very clean, professonal look.

Phil; great idea that scallop.

J. Hartt
Old 11-09-2002, 11:46 AM

i do the same thing (having big hands) i also slightly bevel the liner and ad alittle filework for a better grip, looks cool too. most of the time i just make a larger thumb ramp .
by the way, nice knife
Old 11-09-2002, 12:18 PM

Bob: The finish is simply slightly dull 400grit on the Kalamazoo 1x42" slack belt side. I've fount that for anything but a real show knife, this looks just fine. Plus it seems to be the finest grit available for the Kzoo.

I used a small mini-butane torch to heat the parts, then dunked them in water. If I could do it over I would have stopped *just* a shade earlier. Golden tan instead of bronze. I'd be lying if I said this is one of my very favorites. The colors go well with the handles, but the blade changes it. But--it's all about variety. Someone else may look at this and think it's the cat's meow!

I wrote up on the lock treatment on this thread 'Thumb release cutaways'. My reference is more aimed at the lowering of the opposing liner by .005-.010" (kinda like a cutaway but much more subtle) keeping the same overall shape. That way the liner lock sits 'proud' by that amount. With a sharp edge, there is NO problem capturing it effortlessly.

Dennis this is #4!!! Don't worry--*I'm* the one who has some serious catching up to do!

Phil: you're going to like that little access port. You did't change the profile, but you have a LOT of clearance for a fat stubby thumb ! Good clean work.

The rest of you guys: thanks for the nice comments! I have a schedule to complete a total of (12) GPC and GX6's within the next couple of months. Some detailed and some not so. One by one they are coming alive. You'll get first view as I do! I think it's time to attempt the daunting GPC...

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 11-09-2002, 01:25 PM
Skilled

Phil,
I like the scallop for improved lock access! I've slightly reduced the frame/bolster on the access side for a similar result, and will now be adding the scallop for even easier access.
Coop,
For improved color control when heat coloring the stainless bolsters. liners, screws - try using an oven instead of your torch.
I liked the gold/bronze tones from my oven at 525 degrees (indicated, not measured), and the colors are uniform for the different components. For heat coloring of carbon damascus and timascus bolster materials, I prefer the flexibility of a torch, but repeatable results are just a matter of chance.

Old 11-09-2002, 03:22 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Hartt

Phil; great idea that scallop.
I agree, but I don't want anyone to think it was my idea. I have that same scallop on my Art Washburn and Carson M4.

Wow Kelly, you mean I can bake knife parts to a golden hue in my oven? 525? huh, and how long does it cook? Can ya get any other colors in an oven, mine goes to 550??

Last edited by PhilL496; 11-09-2002 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:29 PM

Phil,

But you were the first to use it on a GX6! Why reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Bob Sigmon

Tags
blade, knife, knives