MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:03 AM
Registered

The perfect knife set

I have always wondered what makes knife sets expensive. After little research it all came down to the material used to make it, and budget. While these are important aspects of the knife set I am more keen on how comfortable it is to use it in my hand. The grip and comfort while cutting is a winner for me that why I would for the Japanese knife. Knife sets vary in so many ways what would you look at when buying?
Old 04-16-2021, 06:03 PM

As a previous seller of blades, we always gave guarantees with our kitchen knives. WARNING never place this knife in a dishwasher.

Later we came across a Japanese knife with permission to use in a dishwasher, it didn't sell that well until we changed the heading with the leading word DISHWASHER Proof , we were surprised at the upswing in sales.

My wife uses knives I have made, main request is a comfortable handle for her small hand.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:54 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaswilson View Post
I have always wondered what makes knife sets expensive. After little research it all came down to the material used to make it, and budget. While these are important aspects of the knife set I am more keen on how comfortable it is to use it in my hand. The grip and comfort while cutting is a winner for me that why I would for the Japanese knife. Knife sets vary in so many ways what would you look at when buying?
Knifes are commonly not enough expensive. people buy just normal knifes for regular use. If you buy carbon steel knives it will be more expensive and reliable knives because the material of these knives is pure and perfect.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaswilson View Post
Knife sets vary in so many ways what would you look at when buying?
Unfortunately, this isn't a question that's easily answered. There are a lot of factors to consider that may or may not be important to consider, depending on the individual. In no particular order, the things I think might be worth considering from a maker's point of view:
How much effort does the end user want to put in regarding to care? This can help dictate steel and handle material choice. Non-stainless steels require hand washing and drying.
How much effort does the end user want to put in regarding sharpness? Some steels are harder to sharpen, but hold an edge longer. Some steels are easy to sharpen, but require you to do it more often.

What is the intended use of the knife? (This is probably the most important thing to consider.) Personally, I like my veggie slicers to be really thin, but knives for breaking down animals need a little more weight behind the edge. I also have a couple of really nice knives that are a just bit too long for my tastes, using the tip forces me to raise my grip hand too high.
How does the knife feel in the hand? Too heavy? Too light? Where is the balance point? How comfortable is the handle? Does the handle shape help put your grip in a natural/comfortable position or do you have to fight the grip to make it useful?

One thing that a lot of makers look at is the fit and finish of the knife and handle as a whole, because this can (not will) give some information about the quality of the end product Noticeable gaps between the individual pieces is usually seen as a sign that the maker didn't take the necessary time or effort to do this right, and can be an indicator of a poor quality blade as well, but not always.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:52 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjhon View Post
Knifes are commonly not enough expensive. people buy just normal knifes for regular use. If you buy carbon steel knives it will be more expensive and reliable knives because the material of these knives is pure and perfect.
Do Damascus knives also fall into carbon steel category, I have read just now in an article it is forged with 2 types of carbons. Looking an EDC knife for a friend. Any helpful response will be appreciated.

Tags
blade, blades, carbon, cutting, damascus, easy, edge, forged, grip, hand, handle, japanese, kitchen, kitchen knives, knife, knife set, knives, made, material, sharp, small, steel