MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Steel Addict

resist for etching

Is there any problem with using the asphaltum that they sell in art supply stores as a resist for etching knives? If you have any other suggestions please include suppliers.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Skilled

check the back pages of fine embellistment for Antonio's photo tutorial of resist etching on knife blades. Dick Blick art supply carries everything you need except the acid.

Dick Blick art supply
Old 12-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Master

Dear friend

The asphalt you can use to make engravings to the strong water "; they usually use it the jewelers (for the silver).
But the alone asphalt, I don't recommend it to you.

Mix :

1 part of wax virgin
1 part of resin (rosin )
3 parts of commercial polish

this previous mixture, is very good and superior to the asphalt.( it tints of better quality )

Montejano (Spain )
-------------------------------------------

Querido amigo

El asfalto se puede utilizar para hacer grabados al " agua fuerte " ; suelen utilizarlo los joyeros( para la plata) .
Pero el asfalto solo , no se lo recomiendo a usted .

Mezcle :

1 parte de cera virgen
1 parte de resina ( colofonia )
3 partes de bet?n comercial

esta mezcla anterior , es muy buena y superior al asfalto .( tinta de mejor calidad )

Montejano ( Espa?a )
Old 12-31-2004, 10:00 PM

Hello Montejano;

Question on these ingrediants:

1 part of wax virgin
1 part of resin (rosin )
3 parts of commercial polish

Do they come as a Liquid? and if not how would I mix them to get it like ink to apply with a dip pen? Also, Please excuse my lack of knowledg,but what is Commercial Polish?

Is there a web site to get all these supplies that you could give a link or addresse to?

It also would help me if you could give the specific brand names. That way I can look them up and read about them to give me a better understanding.

Thank you

Paul

Old 01-01-2005, 04:24 AM
Master

Friend Paul

The component that he/she comes in liquid state is: Commercial polish (Called judea polish); they are sold in stores of handiworks or of fine arts and it is very easy of getting.
Resin (Rosin)----he/she comes in solid state (in stone form) he/she can that it is not he easy to get. he/she can buy a varnish boat to protect the crafts or similar. there are commercial varnishes that are very good and they make the function of the rosin.
Wax virgin,----- he/she comes in solid state and it is very easy of getting in stores of paintings or handiworks.

If it gets the 3 components the mixture it is very easy of carrying out.
The wax--- it is introduced in an empty recipient and we place it to the bathroom mar?a inside another recipient with water boiling. until it founds the wax.
The strong varnish of quick drying--- (of the one better than he/she finds to protect the crafts or to protect wood to the exterior) it can serve him very bi?n.

Judea polish (he/she already comes in liquid state )

When the wax is fused and liquid, they are added the polish and the varnish of quick drying. they mix bi?n the 3 components.

To allow to cool the mixture. Once fry you can already use, but I advise to allow one month to happen so that the ink settles and work better.

But he/she can also ask in stores of fine arts, for an antacid ink; they already sell inks prepared. they can be carried out many types of antacid inks, but the previous mixture is very good.

I don't know in the net a locus in quo to be able to her to request. I get ready my component ones and I don't buy materials in the net.

He/she can try that bi?n translates it to English; through some friend of the forum that understands bi?n Spanish.

A hug

Montejano.

Amigo Paul

El componente que viene en estado l?quido es : Bet?n comercial ( Llamado bet?n de judea ); se venden en tiendas de manualidades o de bellas artes y es muy f?cil de conseguir.
Resina ( Colofonia )---- viene en estado s?lido ( en forma de piedra ) puede que no le sea f?cil de conseguir .Puede comprar un bote de barniz para proteger las embarcaciones o similar .Hay barnices comerciales que son muy buenos y hacen la funci?n de la colofonia .
Cera virgen, -----viene en estado s?lido y es muy f?cil de conseguir en tiendas de pinturas o manualidades .

Si consigue los 3 componentes la mezcla es muy f?cil de realizar .
La cera---se introduce en un recipiente vacio y lo colocamos al ba?o mar?a dentro de otro recipiente con agua hirviendo .Hasta que funda la cera .
El barniz fuerte de secado r?pido ---( del mejor que encuentre para proteger las embarcaciones o para proteger maderas al exterior ) le puede servir muy bi?n .

Bet?n de judea ( viene ya en estado l?quido )

Cuando la cera est? fundida y l?quida , se le a?aden el bet?n y el barniz de secado r?pido .Se mezclan bi?n los 3 componentes .

Dejar enfriar la mezcla . Una vez fria ya se puede utilizar , pero aconsejo dejar pasar un mes para que la tinta se asiente y trabaje mejor .

Pero tambi?n puede preguntar en tiendas de bellas artes , por una tinta anti?cida ; venden tintas ya preparadas .Se pueden realizar muchos tipos de tintas anti?cidas , pero la mezcla anterior es muy buena .

No conozco en la red un lugar donde poderla pedir .Yo me preparo mis componentes y no compro materiales en la red .

Puede intentar que se lo traduzcan bi?n al ingl?s ; a trav?s de alg?n amigo del foro que entienda bi?n el Espa?ol .

Un abrazo

Montejano .
Old 01-01-2005, 11:48 AM

Thank you My Friend;

I understand now.

When I get ready I will have much fun as I learn to use this method safely and correctly.
Thank you again friend.

Paul

Tags
knife, knives