MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Steel Addict

quick question on handle pins

I mistakenly thought my corby bolts were 1/4" and drilled my tang for 1/4". I would like to glue the handle tomorrow and was wondering what all I am able to use as pins in the handle. is zinc an acceptable material as I am able to get a hold of 1/4 zinc rod locally. I cannot find anything brass or copper that is 1/4" however.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Guru

Cool

Kyle; there is all kinds of 1/4 pins available. Do you have a Hobby store or Lowes near you? They most likely have 1/4 brass rod at hand or stainless, though I recommend nickel silver pins just cause I like them LOL. If not them, every knife maker supply I know of has 1/4 pins, screws and Loveless bolts. There are 5/16 corby's for sale as well to fill in the 1/4 holes with the screw. Here is just one example amongst many.
http://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/cp600.htm

There are many more. PM me if you need more references as there are at least two dozen that clog my poor old mind at the moment. Use USPS shippers if you can as UPS is more expensive. Just FYI.

I could add welder suppliers, but they sell by the pound usually, but bronze rod is different than brass so it's worth a call to call and ask as they have many different rods for sale.

Last edited by jimmontg; 11-22-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Steel Addict

I was looking at local places as I was hoping to glue the scales tomorrow. I have only seen 1/8" rod at home improvement stores other than zinc. I do have a few rc hobby stores bear by as well as some craft hobby stores. I will check Lowe's tomorrow for the rod.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Hall of Famer

You could even go to a hardware store and get some 1/4" bare copper wire. Whatever you get make sure to dry fit the pin material before you go gluing things up. Most of the 1/4" pin stock will not fit in a 1/4" hole. The only exception that I had was some 1/4" copper pin stock that I can't remember where I ordered it from. What I do is to use a carbide bur on my Dremmel tool and very carefully ream the whole just a little larger. You could also try to sand the pin stock down a little thinner by that could be tedious.

Doug

Old 11-22-2016, 11:12 PM
Guru

Try the welder supply stores and ask if you could buy just one 36" long 1/4 rod of what you want, plus if you have a metal supplier near you they will have it too.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:15 PM
Guru

I use a 6.5 mm(,255) drill bit for 1/4, but an F drill is only .002 bigger(.277).
Old 11-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Guru

INFO overload
Old 11-22-2016, 11:31 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys, I will tries those ideas. I know the big box stores don't carry anything 1/4" at my locations. I will try a hobby store and welders supply as well.my hole fits the 1/4" part of the corby as my drill press suffers from the wobbles.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:59 AM

Wouldn't use the zinc in any case. It will eventually cause discoloration to the handle material around it if it is organic material.
You can also get 1/4" tubing in various metals and have "see-through" pins. Just be careful when flaring so as not to split handle material.....little tap goes a long way.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Guru

when you buy 1/4 in Corby's the 1/4 part is the head the inside is usually around 3/16.....you could always just drill new holes in the tang it will be covered up anyway no one will see those extra holes in there. I think that would be the simplest solution you wouldn't have to bother looking around at stors for stuff that you already have. I have done the same thing many times by accident just find a new spot for the drill 3/16 hole through the tang and scales and go back and use a 1/4 bit to countersink the handle material about halfway through and your done no headache of looking all over for different stuff.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:39 AM
Steel Addict

My handle material on this one will be black micarta. Do I flare the tube by just hammering the ends or do I put a punch in the ends and lightly tap it?
Old 11-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkyle840 View Post
My handle material on this one will be black micarta. Do I flare the tube by just hammering the ends or do I put a punch in the ends and lightly tap it?
Micarta is pretty tough stuff. You won't have to worry about splitting like you do with wood. If you have a punch of some sort, yes, use it to flare the end's of the tubing, don't just hammer the ends as you will deform it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 11-23-2016, 09:50 AM
Steel Addict

Lol. Dave, I'm not sure why I didn't think of just drilling another hole and not worrying about that one. problem solved and lesson learned from rushing.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:44 PM
Guru

kyle I am NOTORIOUSLY impatient when I do something I run at it a million miles a hour and I get a "tunnel" vision kinda thing go on...I struggle to fight that all the time. most of the time when I have a answer like that its because I made the same mistake...hopfully only once. when I try to slow down things become so obvious that normally went over my head....I stressed one day for about 2 hours cause I did the same exact thing you did with the Corby's ...it took 2 hours when I figure oh wait just drill new holes! and really if your covering it up there is no reason why you cant sometimes the simplest answers are the hardest to come across...for me anyway
Old 11-23-2016, 09:59 PM
Steel Addict

I know the feeling I normally overcomplicate everything

Last edited by gkyle840; 11-23-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Tags
brass, drill, for sale, glue, hand, handle, hobby, home, htm, knife, knifemaking, loveless, material, ore, pins, rod, sale, sand, scales, screws, silver, stainless, store, supply, tang