MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 10-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Latest Effort

Sorry I haven't been around much since my last post! My wife is due with our fourth child the end of this month and our other three are all under the age of seven. Needless to say I've got time conflicts.

Anyway, here is one of my recent knives and my effort to capture it. Please let me know what you think.

Visit My Website
mclurkincustomknives.com

Old 10-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Anyone?

Visit My Website
mclurkincustomknives.com

Old 10-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Skilled

howdie,,I like it,,wish it was in my pocket,,i like the photo too,,
as far as giving any comment about the photo,,I can't see anything whong with it,,
Oh,,except,,maybe a spine view with the blade open,,that might be the next best thing to holding it in your hand,,
Skip
Old 10-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Skilled

howdie,,I like it,,wish it was in my pocket,,i like the photo too,,
as far as giving any comment about the photo,,I can't see anything wrong with it,,
Oh,,except,,maybe a spine view with the blade open,,that might be the next best thing to holding it in your hand,,
Skip
Old 10-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Skilled

WOW Andrew I guess no one likes it you should send it to me and be done with it . I have no idea how I missed this one very nice. With Don's help I will be making slippies myself soon.

www.turnerknives.com
Old 10-10-2007, 01:38 AM

4 kids! We would've lost our minds and gone off the deep end if we'd had 4 kids. I hope everything goes well.

The knife looks to be very nice indeed. My thought is that the light is so even that the absence of much shadowing on the knife itself makes for a rather flat and uniform appearance. Perhaps a bit more contrast or tweaking of the lights would take care of that.

Also, I like the background even though it's pretty busy. However, 4 views of the knife AND a busy background is a bit much for my eyes. Others may feel differently of course.

I don't think the two larger insets add any new information but they really compete for attention, taking it away from the two primary views of the knife. With this knife and this background I'm guessing I would've been tempted to shoot only two views; one with the blade all the way open, and then the other side with the blade partially open - arranging them somehow in a pleasing manner (but not totally symmetrical).

Positives are that it's crisp and sharp with plenty of detail. And the color is very good. It's a very nice image despite my comments. The blade bevel and all the other details of the knife look great in the image and the fossil ivory is rendered beautifully!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 10-10-2007, 02:07 AM
Skilled

i guess my computer realised i like this one twice as much as others,,lol
Skip
Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was wondering what someone other then me thought. Skip, I like the idea of a shot of the spin: I'll try it on the next one. Mike, I find slip joints two or three times more challenging then liner locks. Even though liner locks also have to be mechanically precise, there are more places to make a save then on a slip joint. I find myself sweating more when I'm fitting up a slip joint. It may be different for you.

Buddy, I noticed the slightly flat appearance also. I think it resulted from tipping the blade to get the edge illuminated by my front reflector. I think it made the flat of the blade to parallel to my diffuser. I really wanted the edge showing as it gave more dimension to the blade. There is also a swedge grind in front of the nail nick running to the tip that doesn't show as well as I would like. The image probably is a bit too busy. I was going for a real symmetrical look for this image given the lines in the knife. I don't know if it works? I'll try to post another version this afternoon just for comparison.

I don't know if you guys find stainless blades more challenging then damascus, but I do given the difficulty balancing the reflective qualities.

Just for additional information about the scale of the image, the knife is 6.5" over all with the blade at 3".

Visit My Website
mclurkincustomknives.com

Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast

The knife is fantastic and the photo is pretty good too. Yep, it's a little flat. Several way to take care of that, Buddy touched on a couple. I really like the background (what is the material?) however, maybe you could have softened it up a bit in photochop.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:12 PM

Is Less More? Here is a single exposure just for comparison. I reworked the levels, etc. to see if I could get more depth in the blade and bolsters. I'm not sure if it shows any real difference.

Any preference?

Visit My Website
mclurkincustomknives.com

Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Skilled

Andrew,

I am just a newbie as for as the photo goes but this pic I find more appealing to look at. I would like to see one like Buddy suggested with the otherside of the knife inserted into this pic.

www.turnerknives.com
Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Andrew, I'm no photographer but I like that knife a lot. A closed shot would be nice.

thanks for showing us.

I watch this forum sometimes just to see all the beautiful knives. And of course, I admire the photographers.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Thanks Don. I agree a closed shot would be a good choice. Working with what I shot of the knife previously here is another composition using the feedback above. Changes include two insets of the back side of the knife, drop shadows, and brightening it somewhat.

Better or not?

Visit My Website
mclurkincustomknives.com

Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

Better.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Skilled

I like this better but I think it is to symetrical but that is a newbies thoughts.

www.turnerknives.com

Tags
blade, knife, knives