MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Guru

I have used a angle grinder and its a whole different thing...however I am not a surgeon with a angle grinder I know some guys that are, but of corse I could cut out a blank. but I like the band saw a whole lot better as ray said deffinitly under 5 mins not as much mess and you can get very close to the scribe lines the only spots that you cant get that close are if you have a finger notch yeh you can cut a V shaped notch and use the grinder to finish but you cant cut that small of a curve other than that its great
Old 01-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Registered

Russ,
I use a Milwaukee deep cut portable band saw mounted on a swag off road V4.0 Portaband table with the foot pedal accessory. Works great and is easy to set-up. Total cost should be less than $300 including saw and table. See youtube for numerous videos on how well it works. They have options for dewalt and harbor freight as well.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Skilled

I've seen the Swag table. The Milwaukee deep cut portaband sells for around $300 now though I'm sure some shopping around can find one cheaper.

Thanks all for the tips and help. Still undecided but the little gears in my head are turning.

edit to add: Apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 01-31-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
I've never used an angle grinder to cut out a blade so I can't really compare that to a bandsaw. I can say that I can cut out a typical 4" hunter easily under 5 minutes. That's minimal noise, no sparks, inside the shop, and pretty close to the desired profile...
This - nice when it's cold/wet outside. Also just like a side grinder, you will wind up using it for a lot of other task you haven't thought about due to convenience.

Keep a watch on CL and yardsale stuff. I have two Milwaukees in my shop - one converted to the stand and one in original box. They both get used a lot. Neither cost me north of $100. The stand one was $30 because the handle was cracked and the cord cut and mangled (replaced with pigtail from one of the burner side grinders). Never bought a "new" one.

Like dtec stated, with a bit of planning you can cut pretty close to profile and pretty quick.

ps - blade lube is for the back or spine of the blade to prevent binding in curves, usually only serves to clog teeth by holding chips & fras when using on cutting edge.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-31-2017, 09:39 AM

I bought a foot pedal switch on Amazon for my HF portable,awesome results. Put u bolt on trigger to keep it depressed and just step on the pedal and away you go.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:26 AM

U bolt must of been to complicated for me....I just used a zip-tie (always seem to have plenty lying around). All the same great plan. The trigger lock mech. seems to be the first thing to go out on portabands.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-01-2017, 06:00 AM

Had a draw full of zip ties never thought of them

Tags
angle, band saw, blade, blades, bolsters, buy, cheap, dewalt, grinder, hand, handle, hardware, kit, knife, made, makers, metal, photo, scales, simple, small, throw, vise, wheels, wood